Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > Steve Wozniak Calls iPhone 5 Screen Size “Arrogant”

Author Steve Wozniak Calls iPhone 5 Screen Size “Arrogant”
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-10-15 15:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
In an interview with South African website TechCentral Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has referred to the company he founded with Steve Jobs as being “arrogant” in the promotion of its latest phone’s larger screen. All earlier iPhone models featured a 3.5 inch screen, but the iPhone 5, which was launched last month, features a taller 4 inch screen.

Rather than extending the height and width of the screen, Apple made the iPhone screen taller and maintained the same width as earlier iPhones. In its current “Thumb” TV advert, Apple claims that this new screen size has been chosen to provide extra screen space while still allowing users to reach all of the content on the screen with one thumb.

Wozniak stated, “I think Apple tricked itself by saying: ‘Oh, you can reach everything with one thumb’. I don’t see anybody having trouble using the larger screen. But Apple said that as a defensive move because everyone else had larger screens.”

The Woz then went on to say that Apple was being arrogant in claiming that this was the motivation behind the screen size increase, rather than it being a response to competition from the likes of HTC and Samsung.

“Part of me wishes Apple has not been so arrogant and feeling like “We’re the only one with the right clue.” I wish they had made a wider version [of the iPhone 5].”

During the past few years, Steve Wozniak has famously been quite critical of the company he helped to create. Recently, he stated that the new Apple Maps app was “disappointing”. Earlier this summer he dismissed Apple’s voice recognition service, saying “A lot of people say Siri, I say poo-poo.” He also stated that he “hated” the recent Apple patent victory against Samsung in California:

“I don’t agree with it — very small things I don’t really call that innovative. I wish everybody would just agree to exchange all the patents and everybody can build the best forms they want to use everybody’s technologies.”

Steve Wozniak has a relatively positive view of Google Android, something which his former friend and colleague Steve Jobs detested. As well as owning an iPhone, Wozniak owns several Android devices and has appeared at Android product launches.

The iPhone 5 went on sale at the end of September and notched up more than 5 million sales during its launch weekend, a million more than the previous year’s iPhone 4S. Despite this, there have been numerous complaints regarding the new Maps app, LCD screen issues and problems with the anodized aluminium material used to construct the phone.

Apple replaced the stainless steel used on the iPhone 4 and 4S with the new anodized aluminium material. While this is much lighter it is also much more prone to damage, with many handsets being scratched and dented before they have even been purchased. Apple has no plans to change the production material in the near future, although there are some hints that the next iPhone may be made from carbon fibre. One alternative to the damage-prone aluminium would obviously be to buy an iPhone 5 coated in gold, which is a much more durable metal than aluminium – and more visually appealing too! The Gold iPhone 5 will be launching at Goldgenie very soon.

Click 4 Link
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-10-15 15:23
That guy has a lot of common sense, he clearly has the interests of the industry as a whole at heart.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-10-15 15:31
I agree I also think that the iPhone 5 should of had been alot wider

I hope they rectify it in the next phone and sort that lousey material used which
has that Scuffage issue
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2012-10-15 16:02
As one of the Pioneering fathers of Apple Steve Wozniak knows best and APPLE should pay attention to what he's saying.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-10-15 18:19
I wasn't aware the screen was just taller. I thought they just made it widescreen to make watching movies and such a lot nicer.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-10-15 21:26
Hes certainly got a level head on his shoulders and what appears to be no bias towards Apple.

Its nice to hear someone more influential than myself sticking up for whats right and condemning Apple's actions.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-10-15 21:40
I prefer a wider screen to taller
Phone?? What phone??
xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-15 23:47
I positively can see why's that so.
Esato's Expert Of The Year MMIX
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-10-16 00:02
Phone?? What phone??
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-10-16 07:10
the iphone 5 is like doing a stretch armstrong to a iphone 4s basically lol
[ This Message was edited by: chunkybeats on 2012-10-16 06:10 ]
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-10-19 15:56
It just needs abit more width on the sides
It looks abit odd but I'm sure it's easily adjusted
To 4S is still better I think!!!

Owning a 5 would be a chronic toothache
If it kept getting scuffed, at least with the old
Glass back it's abit more resistant unless some
Stupid punks drop them
ILoveBhe
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2012-10-19 16:51
he may have co founded apple but it was jobs decisions that trully lifted apple to where it is now and obviously those were not same as wozniacs wishlist
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-20 03:00

On 2012-10-19 16:51:06, ILoveBhe wrote:
he may have co founded apple but it was jobs decisions that trully lifted apple to where it is now and obviously those were not same as wozniacs wishlist

Steve alone did NOT bring Apple to where it was.

The Woz was instrumental to their 1984/5 success with Macintosh; along with the engineering team back then Brunnel etc. With the return of Jobs back in 1999 it was the same thing again, his business prowess nurtured by the failing sales of this own company NeXT (which was made by his OWN wealth of shares sold when Apple went "golden years" before he was ousted). The Engineering team from Next ... take a look at all the top brass, only 2 where there before the Next purchase .... Schiller was one of them.

The Woz was the smarter of the two when it came to technology, Jobs was the salesman with style.

I like the iPhone 5 just got one today ... but it does look VERY odd being tall, keep checking my eyes. but work paid for it
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-10-23 13:50
Ah we miss ole Jobs don't we??

http://mblog.gsmarena.com/the-ipad-mini-event-in-animated-parody-form-features-tim-cook-rapping-and-the-return-of-steve-jobs/

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tV6nkBSFSG0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtV6nkBSFSG0&gl=GB

Banned iPad Mini commercial

Nokia Lumia 800 White
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-10-23 12:51 ]
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-11-01 01:30
he still lives by that brand bono

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi