Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > How Internet has changed the way you write.and type?

Author How Internet has changed the way you write.and type?
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2012-07-25 17:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello boys and girls!

Earlier I was talking to Marly and Ceaser2008 about how Internet has changed the way some people write and type today nowadays.

Personally, there have been moments where I have to think twice before writing or typing a word. Thanks God for the T9 and the predictive keyboard apps when I use the phone. But when it comes to a notepad, notebooks, etc. I have to look for the dictionary.

How has it affected you?
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2012-07-25 18:09
Yes, life is easy when typing from mobile with the help of t9 and predictive words and on pc spell checker and corrector helps a lot. But when it comes to writing by hand... today's teenage faces lot of problem. They keep on writing the short hand language even in their daily life, at school, at home etc. Shorthands like sumthng for something. 2day for today. Etc.
ESATO Most Loved & Best Asian Member MMX & MMIX
February : Shoot The MUSIC
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2012-07-25 18:31
And I say something. In a notebook we are not limited to 140 characters. You should separate the real world from the virtual world. I'm not saying that I support these acts.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-07-25 18:42
It's really annoying when you receive an sms from someone and it takes you some time to decipher it. I always thought text speak was a shorthand version of English but some people just mis-spell words on purpose.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2012-07-25 18:44
They do that because they feel they're "IN" -__-
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-07-25 19:04
I wll js rpy wt a tx ts js az hd 2 rd orr juzt sbell lotz ov wordz rrong juzt too git mi poynt akroz.
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2012-07-25 18:05 ]
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2012-07-25 19:07
What on earth have you put there?

That's so annoying
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2012-07-25 19:14
Some are much worse than others when using text speech, with some of my friends I have to re-read it so many times to understand what it actually says haha. It has changed the way I text loads (especially because I have predictive text with auto-correct turned on) I only need to type half the word and it guesses the rest for me, and even if I spell it wrong it doesn't matter
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2012-07-25 20:26
Exactly! And sometimes the lack of commas "," makes it hard to understand the meaning of a sentence.
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2012-07-26 02:53

On 2012-07-25 19:04:43, goldenface wrote:
I wll js rpy wt a tx ts js az hd 2 rd orr juzt sbell lotz ov wordz rrong juzt too git mi poynt akroz.
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2012-07-25 18:05 ]

What's that? Please have mercy with us foreigners

But joking aside, like with other things too, there's a time and a place for everything. I don't mind, when people use text speech when texting or tweeting with a friend, but as soon as it's a more general tweet, or post on Facebook, a forum or blog, meant to be read and understood by others, it has to be written in normal language. Being able to use only 160 characters in a text, or 140 on Twitter, can make it necessary, to use some abbreviations, (like convo = conversation), but forums and blogs don't have these limitations, so why not spell correctly ? Using correct spelling also has the advantage, that you don't forget, what you've learned in school, because people have a tendency to forget things they don't need, and as a result we see now, that most 10-12yr olds spell and write better, than older teens and young adults.

@tranced: Agree! Some people write an endless flow of words, without any commas and capitals, making sentences very uncomfortable to read.
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2012-07-26 14:24
@Marly: for disgrace, our 10-12 years old children don't. They are copying the style seen on the net. And even though, in Twitter, people follow local personalities who have a well orthography, but they don't copy their orthographic style. I mean, they just copy what's convenient for them.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi