Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > Judge: Apple Must Publicly Admit Samsung Didn't Copy The iPad

Author Judge: Apple Must Publicly Admit Samsung Didn't Copy The iPad
Geezay
HTC Desire
PM
Posted: 2012-07-19 10:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Samsung Electronics Co. didn"t copy designs for the iPad.

The notice should outline the July 9 London court decision that Samsung's Galaxy tablets don't infringe Apple?s registered designs, Judge Colin Birss said yesterday. It should be posted on Apple?s U.K. home page for six months and published in several newspapers and magazines to correct any impression the South Korea-based company was copying Apple?s product, Birss said.

Apple Inc. was ordered to put notices in U.K. newspapers and on its website stating that Samsung didn't copy the iPad. The order means Apple will have to publish "an advertisement" for Samsung, Richard Hacon, a lawyer for Cupertino, California-based Apple, told the court. "No company likes to refer to a rival on its website."
Apple is fighting patent lawsuits around the globe against competitors including Google Inc., HTC Corp. (2498) and Samsung as it competes for dominance of the smartphone and tablet computer markets. The firms have accused each other of copying designs and technology in their mobile devices. Legal battles about the similarity of Samsung and Apple tablets are being fought in Germany, the Netherlands and the U.S.

Birss said in his July 9 ruling that Samsung's tablets were unlikely to be confused with the iPad because they are ?not as cool.? He declined yesterday to grant Samsung's bid for an injunction blocking Apple from making public statements that the Galaxy infringed its design rights. ?They are entitled to their opinion,? he said.
Apple spokesman Alan Hely didn?t immediately respond to a phone call and e-mail requesting comment on the judge?s order. ?Should Apple continue to make excessive legal claims based on such generic designs, innovation in the industry could be harmed and consumer choice unduly limited,? Samsung said in a statement after the hearing.

"The war between these two companies seems to be escalating even further," said Colin Fowler, an intellectual property lawyer at London-based Rouse. He said much of the publicity around the July 9 ruling focused on Birss? comments about Samsung not being as cool.

"From a victory in court they were suddenly on the back foot," Fowler said in a phone interview. "Getting this order fits in with the context of them trying to restore the balance." Comments made by Apple after that ruling unfairly implied that Samsung had copied designs, Samsung's lawyer Kathryn Pickard said at the hearing. That "caused real commercial harm."

As well as Apple?s website, the company must pay for notices in the Financial Times, the Daily Mail, Guardian Mobile magazine, and T3, according to a draft copy of the order provided by Samsung's lawyers.
Apple?s lawyer said the company would appeal the July 9 decision and Judge Birss granted the company permission to take its case to the court of appeal.

The case is Samsung Electronics (UK) Limited & Anr v. Apple Inc., High Court of Justice, Chancery Division, HC11C03050.
[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2012-11-14 19:23 ]
If it is to be it is up to me!
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-07-19 12:59
Maybe a few more rulings like this will help stop these litigation battles. If Apple has to go ahead and publish such a statement it will be a bit of a body blow to their ego.

It would be much much better if both companies were in the news for their great product innovation, rather than this ridiculous courtroom nonsense.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-07-19 14:08
Oh yes, I'm sure this will really hurt Apple's ego...

The day litigations like this stop is the day companies stop selling shares to stockholders
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-07-19 17:02
Talk about being served Humble Pie
Apple made their bed, now they must lay in it.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-07-19 22:54
Its about time something like this happened and a judge with a normal frame of mind got it right.

Cant wait to see these adverts. Sadly i dont think they'll even make it through the deep layers of brainwashing of the Apple followers. Their products might be made of steel and glass, but their brand name is like reinforced concrete.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-07-19 23:49
eTaab I don't think alot of apple owners care hype over samsung I know im not
btw intresting to see what apple come up on these advertisings anyway

I wonder if Apple will ever file a complaint against Android users
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-07-20 20:20
Exactly my point, Apple owners will simply not notice such adverts. They'll be completely oblivious to such things.

Apple do nothing but complain about Android since its launch..
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-07-21 02:04
What's this? watching a TV commercial on how apple embarrass themselves? good for them though I doubt they'll do what exactly the judges wanted. may some kind of "iPad is unique, and has no copycat" or something that will still work on their favor. Apple's CEO surely doesn't want Jobs haunting him at night
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2012-07-21 01:12 ]
10 years at Esato
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-07-21 18:16
It wont work like that though, because they've got to mention Samsung.

Its not an advert for their products, its an apology.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-07-26 02:19
Etaab have you watched the US version
Of Dragons Den? It's a dog eat world

How those Entrepreneurs behave on that
Show is oblivious and I expect it's the same
For apple and google both American franchises
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-07-26 04:58
I am with etaab here. Finally a judge that tells those high flyers where the buck stops and brings them down to a more manageable eye level. Looks like Apple got more than they bargained for. I like to see more of those ads.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-07-29 10:16
Does anyone know when we're likely to see them ? if so post so i can check them out.
lemmy31
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-07-29 11:44
Apple do not have to publish any adverts yet.........at least until their appeal in October, apparently.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-07-29 13:20
I'm having doubt whether we can really see Apple embarrassing themselves in public now. Should we pray hard for this to happen?
10 years at Esato
lemmy31
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-07-29 16:12
Hopefully they will never have to apologise to Shamesung.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi