Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > Samsung makes it easy to ditch iOS with free transfer app

Author Samsung makes it easy to ditch iOS with free transfer app
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-06-23 01:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Nice but let us wait for the lawyers at Apple to start threatening.

Link

Samsung's offering anyone in the UK who buys a Galaxy device a free app that transfers your contacts and data over from an iPhone.

The free app is called Easy Phone Sync, and transfers contacts, messages and photos, as well as any DRM-free music and video. It does this using an iTunes backup created on your computer.

There are two parts to the software, so as well as having the app on your Galaxy phone, you'll need to install some software on your Mac or PC. Currently the tool is only available on certain Samsung Galaxy mobiles, and can only be used in the UK.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-06-23 01:49
UK only? Strange.

And why haven't Google created a similar tool for other Android handsets?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-06-23 02:39
Blimey be cool if you could have an app to transfer your number too I can see this kicking off from Apple's side
Phone?? What phone??
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-06-23 13:58
Maybe it is UK only at this time to see whether Apple can and will challenge it in court. Apples sues for anything. Most likely if it is a hit they will extend it to all other countries.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
Geezay
HTC Desire
PM
Posted: 2012-06-23 15:39
@ laffen. I totally agree. Google should have made this app along time ago.

The guys at iMore, an Apple Fanboy site are quite sour about this. In the article, the author noted:

"Predictably, many users are commenting on lack of compatibility, but keep reaching for that rainbow, guys. I'm sure it'll get patched someday. To be fair, the tool was launched in the UK, so there are likely to be some regional locks in place."
The comments are very interesting. Check out the article here iMore
If it is to be it is up to me!
TiddlyWinks
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-06-26 16:24
UK only would lead me to believe that has something to do with the T&C's, like not using 3rd party tools to disassemble the iPhone backups. T&C's are different from country to country and I have a feeling the US version relies on the user selling their soul.

At the end of the day Samsung are onto a good thing here. If the only boundary was the fact the contacts and media would have to stay on the device then this software will show the truth about who really wants to leave the Apple clan. Apple could make a similar software to grab contacts from Google, and Android doesn't have the DRM problem anyway, so it's actually easier to go FROM Android anyway.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-10 20:00
Thank heaven's I've found this application. Beginning my migration from iOS to Android Galaxy Nexus today.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2013-02-04 12:43
Transfers back to iPhone lol
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi