Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > Is the iPhone/iPad too restricted/ expensive?

1234  Next
Author Is the iPhone/iPad too restricted/ expensive?
brownie1989
W595 Blue
PM
Posted: 2012-06-21 20:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I have recently purchased the iPhone 4s and the iPad 2 but I feel as if they are too expensive. They cost to buy the phone / the iPad and they also cost the highest mobile tariff and then you think you are sorted but no. You have to buy apps / music / videos to make it even work. For instance adding a full hd movie without using iTunes saves it to the camera roll and really restricts the quality/ usability. Adding music without iTunes is also a pain. Connecting to computers using the iTunes program and waiting for the sync is also a nusence. And not to mention some apps having to be purchased twice for iPhone and iPad versions. As well as the uk restricted Siri. Don't get me wrong, I like the quality of the content on iTunes and the phones battery life etc. but my question is are they simply charging too much?
Current phone: w595!
Old SE's - W580, W810,W800, K750, K700, T610.
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2012-06-21 20:18
In short, yes.

Slightly longer answer:
The price is as it is - dictated by market demand and consumers' willingness to pay. Apple have simply managed to create a scheme whereby they can efficiently rip off their consumers without the latter minding.
[ This Message was edited by: NightBlade on 2012-06-21 19:20 ]
brownie1989
W595 Blue
PM
Posted: 2012-06-21 20:23
That's it I mean people big them up so much, but I don't think a lot of them realise there are cheaper alternatives that do very similar. I only adopted because a lot of people were rating them, but I can't see much difference between it and android, only the iOS seems more restricted.
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-06-21 22:49
yes to both of your answers, I really do think they are a waste of money and really you are just buying into the so called cool factor which indeed is dead and buried for Apple. It is no longer cool to own an Apple device because every man and his dog has one which makes it a common phone and not as exclusive as what Apple want to make you think. I dont hate Apple, I have tried, owned and tested Apple products and its a complete no from me. I felt like I lost my freedom in what I wanted to do and Apple stole it.

I think it terms of owning a cool but exclusive phone would be the new Xperia's, the tech in the new phones is pretty special. For the future though I really do think Microsoft have finally found their winner with Windows 8. It has blown me away and finally have some proper intergration with devices and not stupid restricted rubbish that has be thrown in from Apple!

Sell them 2 devices and save up for a Surface tablet, it really does look like the trendsetter!
[ This Message was edited by: chunkybeats on 2012-06-21 21:50 ]
brownie1989
W595 Blue
PM
Posted: 2012-06-21 23:21
I might well do that because as you said it is sure to be a very high quality trend setter for the future. For all the negative comments Microsoft have had in the past, I truly believe that recently with Windows 7 etc they have made huge improvements. Don't get me wrong Apple will be a big player for a while and the iPad was revolutionary, but some people just prefer the unrestricted approach.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-06-28 15:44
Boils down to VAT 20% UK
Blake the Government lol
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-06-28 22:02
doesn't matter where you live , they are too expensive for what you're getting Blake.lol
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-06-29 00:15
there cheap in America fact
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-06-29 01:28
They are not cheap anywhere and Apple has cornered just about every phone company that sells their products. Apple takes a cut of the money the companies make from selling the content and data over the iPhones and I pads, then there are the apps and the media which all have to go through iTunes. This in turn causes consumers to hsvento pay higher costs for the services offered through the phone companies beyond the ordinary. Because of this some companies are rethinking their deals with Apple because of the high costs of subsidizing the phones and how ,such of the pie they have had to give up to Apple.
In the next year many companies will giveprobably give Apple a fight over these subsidies. It is killing their bottom line. Sprint for instance in the U.S. had to sign on to a $15 billion dollar agreement with Apple in order to get to sell the iPhone.

In the end Apple presents a very expensive product which most costumers can avoid but probably do not know.
Not worth it in my books.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2012-06-29 02:17
Chunkybeats makes a very good point, the iPhone was once cool and revolutionary, back when android was just being born and it's devices didn't compare to apple's. Nowadays, the iPhone is nothing compared to the competition. Not worth it by any means.
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-06-29 03:11
For a Tablet get the new Nexus 7. Far cheaper and quad core with Jellybean. ipads and iPhones are over rated expensive and yes restricted. @chunkybeats I agree about Sony being more exclusive and they are different with designs etc. I fail to see anything trendy about an iPhone. I would rather be walking down the street and be different. Not just that but yes the freedom and wherever I see Apple products they are seriously over priced. For something so restricted costing £600 for a 16gig 4S and yet you can get the GS3 for £100 less. Or Xperia S for even less that does much more. As for Windows 8 I really look forward to that for sure. Save your money. @Miss UK it's nothing to do with the government and they are probably cheaper in the US cos of weak dollar

Sony Xperia U
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-06-29 02:23 ]
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-06-29 05:33
The Only object I think thats abit expensive is the Apple PC range Desktops and laptops, and some
floating contracts deal from the networks but those come down 4/6mths later ive seen again!
but them iPhones and iPads are priced normally maybe Androids are £50 cheaper but that still adds upto
£449.99 iPhones are £499.99 ive seen some Androids cost the same eg those Samsung things you lot love
so I don't understand the word expensive from the major few of you!

some of you just like to have a rant about apple cos they protect themselves from the opposite or
spend there cash on courts !

I get it guys if I had the opposite I prob feel the same but I don't im a happy Apple phone owner
so don't mess with me "POW"
[ This Message was edited by: Miss UK on 2012-06-29 04:39 ]
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-06-29 05:56

On 2012-06-29 03:11:00, Bonovox wrote:
For a Tablet get the new Nexus 7. Far cheaper and quad core with Jellybean. ipads and iPhones are over rated expensive and yes restricted. @chunkybeats I agree about Sony being more exclusive and they are different with designs etc. I fail to see anything trendy about an iPhone. I would rather be walking down the street and be different. Not just that but yes the freedom and wherever I see Apple products they are seriously over priced. For something so restricted costing £600 for a 16gig 4S and yet you can get the GS3 for £100 less. Or Xperia S for even less that does much more. As for Windows 8 I really look forward to that for sure. Save your money. @Miss UK it's nothing to do with the government and they are probably cheaper in the US cos of weak dollar

Material things don't matter,but Rock n Roll does!!!!

Sony Xperia U
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-06-29 02:23 ]

Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2012-07-04 02:11
I guess it depends on where and how hard you look. I do agree that Apple products are overpriced for what they are. Build quality fair enough but featurewise they're not much different from a mid/low tier high range product.

Play.com

Amazon

[ This Message was edited by: Rookwise on 2012-07-04 01:12 ]
I tried sniffing coke once but didnt like it. The bubbles kept going up my nose
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-07-04 03:04
Nice prices Andy !!!
Don't understand why the one was cheaper
It's the same phone right? Lol

Btw some apple products are a lil overpriced and have
Poor build those iPods are namely that !!!

I think the iPhone is better built then those and it's
Says to people like myself it's made to last I guess
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
1234  Next
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic