Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony began seeding ICS update to the 2011 Xperia lineup

Author Sony began seeding ICS update to the 2011 Xperia lineup
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-05-25 17:40
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
HTC Desire C new phone has ICS on 600mhz and 512 ram
Phone?? What phone??
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-05-25 18:03
If Sony release a new Play they need to really get it right. They have the power to do it
Phone?? What phone??
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-05-25 19:13
Power but no will
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-05-25 21:25
Yeah, typical Sony/SE:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/25/sony-ics-updates/?m=false

Their entire journey with Android thus far has been plagued with update problems, the X10 had it bad, and now the Play, which if i remember correctly was THEE MOST expensive Xperia last year despite its average HW, is going to miss out on the biggest Android update, which even the Xperia Ray is getting and then you have the new NXT series, getting their updates from late June onwards.

Oh dear...
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-05-26 01:23

On 2012-05-25 21:25:19, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Yeah, typical Sony/SE:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/25/sony-ics-updates/?m=false

Their entire journey with Android thus far has been plagued with update problems, the X10 had it bad, and now the Play, which if i remember correctly was THEE MOST expensive Xperia last year despite its average HW, is going to miss out on the biggest Android update, which even the Xperia Ray is getting and then you have the new NXT series, getting their updates from late June onwards.

Oh dear...

As much as we wanted to bash Sony for their stupid decision, if the ICS update will only make things worse for Play's performance then imho it's better that they ditch it. I really can't blame Sony for that, but instead we should blame SE for not equipping their "priciest" 2011 android phone with future proof specs just like what Samsung did with GS2.

HTC Desire C new phone has ICS on 600mhz and 512 ram

Yes and it has a HVGA screen, so less stress on GPU and RAM rendering lower resolution UI objects, ST21 Tapioca will also run in similar HW except with a slightly faster CPU.
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2012-05-26 00:27 ]
10 years at Esato
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-05-26 01:37
Yeah I can understand the decision by Sony. How do you think the GS2 was underpowered??
Phone?? What phone??
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-05-26 01:42

On 2012-05-26 01:37:00, Bonovox wrote:
Yeah I can understand the decision by Sony. How do you think the GS2 was underpowered??

No, no no Samsung GS2's HW was not underpowered, what I meant was that Sony did not use future proof HW on Play just like what Samsung did with GS2's HW. I wasn't clear with this, Sorry

And I was really amazed that Samsung's 1 yr old flagship hardware will actually be used as the reference platform for ICS build, Samsung really thinks ahead with this.
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2012-05-26 00:44 ]
10 years at Esato
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-05-26 01:45
Ah I see Well let's see what the end of June brings with my Xperia U. As I have yet to experience any issues with it I'd be happy staying on GB. Makes a change for me having no phone issues
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-05-26 02:06
Razec

I completely understand that, but my issue is that SE/Sony have this tendency of promising and not fulfilling. They banged on about how the entire 2011 Xperia range, incl. Xperia Play would get ICS, and then NOW suddenly out of the blue they have canned the update completely, imagine the frustration of those who bought the Xperia Play due to SE saying it would get ICS, they have been totaly screwed over, i know i would be so damn annoyned. This is the sort of thing that reduces brand loyalty and trust, something Sony really need right now.
I remember going through a similar thing with the X10 when SE said it wouldn't go past Android2.1, that alone had many users abandon SE, offcourse we ended up getting 2.3 but that was after many petitions and threats to SE.

Im just so disappointed with their treatment of their customers, this is very unfair on them, and they should be given some sort of compensation e.g. free games and an app or something.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
FMW300
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2012-05-26 02:46
Am I at risk of losing apps, settings, contacts etc when updating to ICS? Do I have to backup anything?
T230 > W300 > W890 > W705 > Live > Xperia T > Xperia Z2a > Xperia X > Xperia XZ2
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-05-26 02:48

On 2012-05-26 02:06:59, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Razec

I completely understand that, but my issue is that SE/Sony have this tendency of promising and not fulfilling. They banged on about how the entire 2011 Xperia range, incl. Xperia Play would get ICS, and then NOW suddenly out of the blue they have canned the update completely, imagine the frustration of those who bought the Xperia Play due to SE saying it would get ICS, they have been totaly screwed over, i know i would be so damn annoyned. This is the sort of thing that reduces brand loyalty and trust, something Sony really need right now.
I remember going through a similar thing with the X10 when SE said it wouldn't go past Android2.1, that alone had many users abandon SE, offcourse we ended up getting 2.3 but that was after many petitions and threats to SE.

Im just so disappointed with their treatment of their customers, this is very unfair on them, and they should be given some sort of compensation e.g. free games and an app or something.

Apparently, the issue with ICS was there were changes on Google's end that affected how games ran and caused problems with the gamepad. If pushing out ICS breaks one of the key features of a product, then Sony's better off not pushing out the update.

Think of it this way: Everyone's bashing Sony for backtracking on their promise to release ICS for one of their devices. If Sony released it, then all the PLAY users would start bashing Sony for releasing an update that broke gameplay on their device.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-05-26 07:00
I agree with lolstebbo. There is absolutely no way any XPlay owner would even consider ICS if it meant it's gaming ability would suffer - I know I wouldn't.

Sony Mobile is being honest and open about the XPlay, throughout. If I wanted ICS I could easily install it but never at the expense of stability or its gaming ability.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-05-26 07:05

On 2012-05-26 02:48:20, lolstebbo wrote:

Think of it this way: Everyone's bashing Sony for backtracking on their promise to release ICS for one of their devices. If Sony released it, then all the PLAY users would start bashing Sony for releasing an update that broke gameplay on their device.

In other words, Either route that Sony takes will result into "death flag" as I said before it can't be helped

EDIT: I wish I could like your post
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2012-05-26 06:06 ]
10 years at Esato
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-05-26 07:25
True. ICS has some major issues with certain games. Even Samsung GS2 and Note have some trouble with some games on ICS.

So it makes no sense for Sony to update the play to ICS and handicap its gaming performance significantly.

Though yes certainly it gives a chance to certain Samsung loverboys to bash Sony
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-05-26 07:36
Could anyone imagine the outcry if Sony release ICS for the Play, and then people who bought games for it discovered that they didn't work or crashed and stuttered?

We'd never hear the end of it!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi