Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > Phone blues!

Author Phone blues!
pk389
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-04-13 06:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I bought a Galaxy S II for Sprint off ebay and didn't do enough research on it. It is listed through Sprint as lost/stolen and cannot be used. Of course the person who sold it to me also got screwed so no account holder. Does anyone know how to get around this without flashing to another carrier? With all the technical stuff that goes on with phones there has to be a way. Thanks for input.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-04-13 14:21
You'd have to change the IMEI code, which is highly illegal worldwide and would probably result in a heavy prison sentence.

Best thing to do is sell it on to countries which do not block IMEI codes where it could be used. Not that im condoning selling stolen goods.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
pk389
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-04-13 16:55
I figured that would be the only solution, thanks. Lesson Learned! LOL
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-05-16 00:12
Are you in USA? Depending where you are
I think if you sold that phone abroad it might work

Ive seen blocked phones on eBay being sold outside
Of the UK to foreign countries etc
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-05-16 01:18
If you still want the phone and for peace of mind, I would root the phone and then you get the phone for starters and of course probably a better user experience than the carrier rubbish bloatware on carriers roms. I have seen this before over here, and unfortunately it can happen to anyone which sucks! As for selling the phone onwards I dont think its good practice, like I said if you want the phone then try rooting it. Good luck and im sorry to hear about your news.
TiddlyWinks
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-06-26 16:27
Rooting a phone doesn't affect its ability to connect to a mobile network. The IMEI is blocked, it will not work in the country where that network is designated. Rooting a phone simply opens the operating system up to advanced options.

In the UK, if the IMEI is blocked, the phone can easily be sent elsewhere in Europe.

Changing the IMEI won't work because every single IMEI in existence is known to each network carrier, creating your own will result in an issue being raised across the network and you'll get blocked and quite possibly found very quickly.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi