Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Confirmed ICS release dates for Sony Xperia 2011 models - and why you do not want to update

Previous  123  Next
Author Confirmed ICS release dates for Sony Xperia 2011 models - and why you do not want to update
iksplusipsilon
P1
Joined: Dec 23, 2007
Posts: 303
PM
Posted: 2012-04-01 06:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
When I read this, whole P990i saga flashed before my eyes again! Old habits die hard it seems...

@worf1000: Please, leave fanboy flaming for other sites, thnx!
[ This Message was edited by: theos on 2012-04-01 05:18 ]
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Posts: > 500
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-04-01 07:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2012-04-01 01:06:20, worf1000 wrote:

On 2012-03-31 19:03:00, Mizzle wrote:
Sorry to say this, but it's utter BS.

Yes, Android does close activities and services when it's running low on memory. It's always done that, so it's nothing new compared to what you're already using.

Having said that ICS is not the reason why you don't want to upgrade. Sony's customizations, on the other hand, are. A vanilla version of ICS runs beautifully on a phone like the Xperia S, despite its 512 MB RAM limit. ICS is beautiful the way it is. Sony should just stop working on customizing the OS, and use it in all of its beauty.

Also - it's pretty ridiculous that Sony is blaming Google for bad performance when they're using several years old hardware.
[ This Message was edited by: Mizzle on 2012-03-31 18:07 ]



That's your opinion. I like what Sony is doing.
All that fuss about a delay, what are you doing all those day playing phones?
Sony phones are the most balances from all android handset, so play with your Samsung and be happy with it

It's pretty ridiculous you blame Sony.


You're right. It is my opinion. And it's the right opinion.

ICS does work on devices with mediocre hardware (read: Sony phones), but all of Sony's customizations are making it a lot more heavy on resources and that's simply not necessary. Also, please cut the crap regarding "playing with my Samsung". I had an Xperia S before you could even get your hands on one.
Shino03
S700
Joined: Dec 22, 2008
Posts: > 500
PM
Posted: 2012-04-01 08:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I think this will all depend on the user. I think this Ice cream update will be fine for the non-extensive users. I mean, I only use a few widgets on my Galaxy ace and I also don't use any live wallpaper any more and my galaxy runs smoothly because of that. I also often close any running applications on the background which prevents lag on my phone.

I don't need all of these widgets..

[ This Message was edited by: Shino03 on 2012-04-01 07:25 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
Joined: Jan 23, 2004
Posts: > 500
From: UK - South Yorkshire
PM
Posted: 2012-04-01 10:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
This is why Sony will never compete with Samsung and HTC and will always be behind the times. Its a reminder of how it was with SE and now Sony alone are continuing the trend.

If i were a 2011 handset owner, i'd go down the other route of getting my own custom version of ICS from teams like Cyanogenmod when they get around to Android 4.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
Joined: Dec 08, 2005
Posts: 496
From: New Zealand
PM
Posted: 2012-04-01 12:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
im a neo v user and gingerbread is awesome but hearing this worries me. I think I will see how it goes with others if it's not good then im enjoying my phone because what I have noticed is ALL OEMs put bloatware on their roms. which on turn use up previous memory. If I root then surely ICS will run heaps smoother. As for the nexus s comment it's running touchwiz which in all the OEMs. is the hungriest for RAM usage! For me it's a wait and see approach.
Bonovox
LG G4
Joined: Apr 13, 2008
Posts: > 500
PM
Posted: 2012-04-01 12:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I have an Arc S and even that in GB is slow at times. It's a great handset but still can slow down a bit even with not much running. This is cos I guess when I look qt running services there is too much crap running. I have to kill some of it to free up ram but later in it automatically starts up again. Stupid bloatware. Using a vanilla Android version is best imo. I have seen how smooth Nexus S is. HTC use alot of layers on its devices but their phones are not slow.
Phone?? What phone??
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
Joined: Sep 18, 2004
Posts: > 500
From: Mumbai
PM
Posted: 2012-04-01 14:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Features used correctly can greatly make a difference using a phone. I don't believe in shutting down all the widgets and live wallpapers and etc just so that my phone runs a little faster and give up on all features that phone has to offer. If that was the case, I would buy simple Nokia phone!
T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
darrenj1
Xperia Mini Pro Black
Joined: Aug 29, 2004
Posts: 68
From: Leeds, UK
PM
Posted: 2012-04-02 12:36
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
My homescreen shuts down as it stands now, when I use some apps such as dolphin browser, or games.

My question is, if I delete some of my apps and create more space, will that allocate more working RAM and therefore increase performance?
lolstebbo
Model not set
Joined: Aug 01, 2009
Posts: 186
From: California
PM
Posted: 2012-04-02 16:57
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2012-04-01 10:19:31, etaab wrote:
This is why Sony will never compete with Samsung and HTC and will always be behind the times. Its a reminder of how it was with SE and now Sony alone are continuing the trend.


I disagree. If you look at HTC's and Samsung's lists of phones that will be getting ICS, it's all their higher-end phones; on Samsung's end, I believe none of them are S2-based, whereas HTC's only upgrading three of their S2-based phones. Their unwillingness to update their S1 phones to ICS is indicative of either their unwillingness to spend the resources or the realities of ICS's performance (the reference phone itself is dual-core to begin with). Even though Sony's rollout may finish later than HTC's and Samsung's, at least people that bought their low-ends phones will still get the option of installing ICS, and at least they still provided constant updates on the development/certification process (I'd venture to guess that their biggest holdup is certification since they might be trying to get all phones certified for all regions simultaneously as opposed to the staggered roll-out HTC and Samsung are adopting).
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
Joined: Aug 23, 2008
Posts: > 500
From: Scotland
PM
Posted: 2012-04-02 18:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2012-04-01 07:56:07, Mizzle wrote:

On 2012-04-01 01:06:20, worf1000 wrote:

On 2012-03-31 19:03:00, Mizzle wrote:
Sorry to say this, but it's utter BS.

Yes, Android does close activities and services when it's running low on memory. It's always done that, so it's nothing new compared to what you're already using.

Having said that ICS is not the reason why you don't want to upgrade. Sony's customizations, on the other hand, are. A vanilla version of ICS runs beautifully on a phone like the Xperia S, despite its 512 MB RAM limit. ICS is beautiful the way it is. Sony should just stop working on customizing the OS, and use it in all of its beauty.

Also - it's pretty ridiculous that Sony is blaming Google for bad performance when they're using several years old hardware.
[ This Message was edited by: Mizzle on 2012-03-31 18:07 ]



That's your opinion. I like what Sony is doing.
All that fuss about a delay, what are you doing all those day playing phones?
Sony phones are the most balances from all android handset, so play with your Samsung and be happy with it

It's pretty ridiculous you blame Sony.


You're right. It is my opinion. And it's the right opinion.

ICS does work on devices with mediocre hardware (read: Sony phones), but all of Sony's customizations are making it a lot more heavy on resources and that's simply not necessary. Also, please cut the crap regarding "playing with my Samsung". I had an Xperia S before you could even get your hands on one.



sony's customizations, are by far the lightest of any other main manufacturer. You cannot blame a phone manufacturer to want to make their Android experience unique to others. And to respond to your previous post, pretty sure the Xperia S had 1gb of RAM and although it is using an outdated processor (to say by several years is a far exaggeration btw) but other then that I see no outdated hardware, 12MP camera, HD screen and a whole new design...
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2012-04-02 17:20 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Posts: > 500
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-04-03 00:09
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2012-04-02 18:18:52, adsada wrote:

On 2012-04-01 07:56:07, Mizzle wrote:

On 2012-04-01 01:06:20, worf1000 wrote:

On 2012-03-31 19:03:00, Mizzle wrote:
Sorry to say this, but it's utter BS.

Yes, Android does close activities and services when it's running low on memory. It's always done that, so it's nothing new compared to what you're already using.

Having said that ICS is not the reason why you don't want to upgrade. Sony's customizations, on the other hand, are. A vanilla version of ICS runs beautifully on a phone like the Xperia S, despite its 512 MB RAM limit. ICS is beautiful the way it is. Sony should just stop working on customizing the OS, and use it in all of its beauty.

Also - it's pretty ridiculous that Sony is blaming Google for bad performance when they're using several years old hardware.
[ This Message was edited by: Mizzle on 2012-03-31 18:07 ]



That's your opinion. I like what Sony is doing.
All that fuss about a delay, what are you doing all those day playing phones?
Sony phones are the most balances from all android handset, so play with your Samsung and be happy with it

It's pretty ridiculous you blame Sony.


You're right. It is my opinion. And it's the right opinion.

ICS does work on devices with mediocre hardware (read: Sony phones), but all of Sony's customizations are making it a lot more heavy on resources and that's simply not necessary. Also, please cut the crap regarding "playing with my Samsung". I had an Xperia S before you could even get your hands on one.



sony's customizations, are by far the lightest of any other main manufacturer. You cannot blame a phone manufacturer to want to make their Android experience unique to others. And to respond to your previous post, pretty sure the Xperia S had 1gb of RAM and although it is using an outdated processor (to say by several years is a far exaggeration btw) but other then that I see no outdated hardware, 12MP camera, HD screen and a whole new design...
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2012-04-02 17:20 ]



Who cares if their customizations are the lightest? They're incredibly memory heavy, and yes I can blame them for using memory heavy customizations when their phones have very little memory to begin with. And yes, the Xperia S has a gig of RAM, but that doesn't help any of the previous models that are left with 512 MB.
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
Joined: Aug 07, 2001
Posts: > 500
From: Oslo, Norway
PM
Posted: 2012-04-03 02:04
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Updated article with comments from Sony Mobile. Thanks bono
[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2012-04-03 01:04 ]
3_nity
Sony Xperia Z1
Joined: Jul 25, 2008
Posts: 186
PM
Posted: 2012-04-03 09:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2012-04-03 02:04:11, laffen wrote:
Updated article with comments from Sony Mobile. Thanks bono
[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2012-04-03 01:04 ]


Awesome, Sony!

@laffen: thx for share a link.
Bonovox
LG G4
Joined: Apr 13, 2008
Posts: > 500
PM
Posted: 2012-04-03 10:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
So I wonder will this stop the silly restarting of apps?? Whenever I kill some apps in running services an hour later they are running again.
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
Joined: Dec 27, 2006
Posts: > 500
From: Johannesburg, South Africa
PM
Posted: 2012-04-03 14:43
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2012-04-01 10:19:31, etaab wrote:
This is why Sony will never compete with Samsung and HTC and will always be behind the times. Its a reminder of how it was with SE and now Sony alone are continuing the trend.

If i were a 2011 handset owner, i'd go down the other route of getting my own custom version of ICS from teams like Cyanogenmod when they get around to Android 4.


+1
Even the Xperia X10 had just 384mb RAM whilest the Galaxy S had 512mb and Desire had 576mb, SE/Sony like to cut corners and in the long term it hurts them, thats why i moved to Samsung, since the X10 scenario i remember a part of me wishing i had waited for the Galaxy S which even today proves to be an excellent smartphone despite no ICS its the only early 2010 Android getting updates now and its GPU makes mince meat of what the 2011 SE's have, thats what i like about Samsung, they are always thinking way ahead, best believe the Galaxy S i9000 will probably be one of the 1st to get CM9 final release


Bono
I dont understand why exactly SE are doing that, in Android4.0 ICS when you go to Settings -Developer Options, there is an option already built-in to limit the amount of background processes.



Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB Midnight Green
Tablet: iPad Air 2 64GB Space Grey
Watch: Apple Watch Series 3 Nike Edition Space Grey
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi