Previous  12
Author Apple announces the iPad 3
nicv27
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2012-03-08 19:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2012-03-07 21:24:28, chunkybeats wrote:
yawn another similar product to the iphone 4s, seriously how long can you keep bringing out tiny updates to your products, people will finally catch on and go elsewhere. Windows 8 does look exciting though!

I'd like to agree with you but their recently released sales figures say differently..... And before I get tarred with the "Apple Fan boy" brush... Yes I have an iPad 2 but my phone is a htc sensation XL
Samsung Galaxy S3 White iPad 2 32gb 3G +16/-0 Twitter.nicv27
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-03-08 20:03
As many of you may have read this past year im quite critical of Apple, but i still think this new iPad will be the best all round tablet.

I dont think tablets can be used productively as well as a proper pc, laptop or notebook. But, where they excel is simplicity. I would buy this new iPad if i had the money, id buy one for my mother too as they're very good at doing what they do and not trying to do anything more.

For example, a tablet is much easier to take with you on the go, its easier to use on the go and easier to pick up and put down when you're doing other tasks. Also, with no moving parts like a laptop's hard drive you can slam them about more without worrying you'll damage it or lose data.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-03-08 23:31
@nicv27

Its nothing to do with sales figures Im talking about someone else setting the standards not Apple! With Microsoft they have great track record and if they have a fluid intergration between PC windows & Tablet Windows (Windows , then its a no brainer for me. I have had went through so many os's (Started with Amiga OS back in 1990!, then mac, windows, iOS and now android). Out of all them the Amiga OS was sooooooo way ahead of its time, more than mac and windows put together, its just a pity Commodore went bust!) If the Amiga OS was used now and been developed a little more it would seriously kick Apples & Microsofts a$$es!

@Prom1

I wasnt intending to offend you, I just think tablets in general have still got a long way to go. I understand your laptop statement and you are right, but with the kind of work I do (Im an Architectural Technician, using AutoCAD etc) and really using a tablet for that is pointless. Its not accurate and fiddly. Thats why with android it supports usb mouses but again the Autodesk app for iOS and Android is still useless and not a proper working program. So really i will be in laptop land for a lot longer until someone develops the tablet so it can be used for all functions and not just entertainment. I really do think you cant completely replace the mouse, its just an easier extension when coming to do accurate work, tablets are good for browsing, playing around etc.

As for technology in general, it is too far ahead in terms of what you can do, but nobody and i mean no one has been using them to their full potential, maybe the app providers need to work more on streamlining their products and make them PC like. Also what i really hate with any manufacturer is their laws with file sharing / file extensions. I do like how Android lets you share your files with others through bluetooth, same again with phones before smartphones became popular. Apple sersiouly annoys me with their restrictions, and having to jailbreak at all just to do some things Android can do really puts me off. I can see what Apple are trying to do and it does have its Strengths in terms of a safe environment but again, Im sorry to say this but piracy will always win. Why? because criminals are always one step ahead in any crime (well except for the dumb ones who get busted hehe!). No one will ever be able to combat piracy, its always a problem and it will continue to do so. Sorry thats the modern world i think!

Good luck to Apple but really they need to add an extra dimension to their products, something that makes everyone feel like we can relate to them. Not their interface but the ability to customise is a must, even if its just simple theming and ringtones, but then according to Apple there is money to made in that. Thats just not fair. Its like oh i want to change my t shirt today, i have 5 shirts already so i will just change them but with Apples policy its i have 5 tshirts already i need to buy another one to replace this tshirt. You understand?

If Apple want to preach to the masses, do it with an affordable product, something that people can afford and experience. We all dont live in a westernised world and Apple are American through and through with their world domination. Go to India, Africa or South America, people cant even afford to eat never mind buying a phone. Sorry to sound bad but really it is like that. In this world with this huge downturn we live in, things arent great and really people need to wake up and realise that this crazy overspending on an overated products really isnt benefical to people. Nokia, Samsung and others are all looking after them markets and Apple again wont be able to touch them because they are too expensive. Sony will suffer the same fate due to their policy going smartphone only. The more people realise that they are being ripped off the better.

I am no fanboy at all im an outsider who has been following this thing throughout and its getting a bit tedious with the troll wars. Just no brainwashing from either one, let people decide for themselves not by word of mouth or pulling out your device to show off, really not needed!
[ This Message was edited by: chunkybeats on 2012-03-08 22:33 ]
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-03-09 00:40
@Chunkybeats,

Now THAT is a worthwhile critique and a good post! That was what I was hoping for in your original post and probably what you really meant, just didn't have the time.

Valid points - especially Nokia's "Next Billion" in markets where #'s of population are higher but income and liquidible spending $$ is lower than the common western world. Apple tried these markets even in the western world trying to price match or beat the windows monopoly - but they cannot compete due to pricing and economies of scale (no resources to match in the PC business to compete nor sustain 90% marketshare globally). They tried with licensing the OS: Motorola, etc - and failed .. bankruptcy was looming. In the PC world their a niche player - in the tablet world 76% of revenues comes from iOS with just 3 simple devices. 176 million units sold ... and with major profit margins: their not the only one's banking on the breaking backs of others.

Microsoft has a track record for mass-marketshare - not necessarily being the best: I'm sure you're aware of driver hell, varying code standards being broken, etc. When it comes to the tablet market - I'm going back 15yrs now - WinCe just wasn't strong enough, and with Windows 8 Preview ... horrible joke with that overlay when NOT having a multi-touch trackpad; business machines like the Dell 6320/6420 HP EliteBook 24xx/84xx/86xx series is not meant for running this OS.

AutoDesk's AutoCAD ... that application NEEDS a desktop workhorse ... nothing else will come close as even laptops are limited by their SATA SSD speeds and RAM speeds/size before anything else. Now if cloud servers running connected services with multiple connections for 1 task with distributed computing (you run 1 task on an AutoCAD file, I run another and the finished product seemless ads both changes and prompts for overlaying changes to the same item) ... (breathing) ... and possibly using 3D touch manipulation for manipulating the angle of view for a wire-frame model ... then maybe ... with incredible increases in processing power tablets with ports would replace laptops ... since essentially their the ports+screens of a standard laptop running on ultra low specs. I just see them one day (10yrs maybe) fully replacing laptops with accessories combined. But I'm a dreamer in this respect.

In all honesty ... we SHOULD have 1 central cloud service - multiple distributed virtual mainframes/servers running - and simple equal dumbterminals to use to access them: Google+PC/Laptop/Tablet+Internet ... remind you of anything in an old movie or comic?

|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi