Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Nokia announces 808 PureView with an amazing 41 megapixel camera sensor

Author Nokia announces 808 PureView with an amazing 41 megapixel camera sensor
hibiskus
BlackBerry Z10
PM
Posted: 2012-06-08 11:48
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Well, i must admit that i am dissapointed after reading this review. Who needs techonolgically obsolete device for 500-600 euros which uses that old stupid nokia policy of max shutter speed 1/8 and ISO 800 in night mode? Those night shots samples are terrible! Even old (but mighty c901) has 1s shutter speed. OK i admit there's an improvement in daylight photos concerning wider dynamic range, better contrast, improvement in details (better optics i presume) but this advantage lasts until sun starts to go down. Noise levels start to be unacceptable.
Allthough all pictures posted in review are taken full size not that resampled pureview 5mp so maybe things will improve.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-06-08 12:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I said earlier that the 41mp resolution serves a different purpose and that mainly is to enable pixel binning a.k.a. Pureview technology. of course with such dense pixels on a still meager 1/1.2" sensor expect worse pixel-noise performance than even the 12mp canon S100 with 1/1.7" sensor let alone the individual pixel-size. Nokia effectively triggered the hype on most tech sites about the amazingly large sensor and fans started bashing the DSLRs and ILCs for having much less resolution though the height of the hype can easily make these people forget that 808's sensor is still smaller than the new Canon S100-killer 20mp Cybershot RX100 camera from Sony. nevertheless Nokia still has the best cameraphone at this moment.
10 years at Esato
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi