Previous  123 ... 89 101112  Next
Author Xperia ion discussion thread
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-08-24 11:48
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
^
Yes and do us a favor and leave this "sony forum" and post only in Samsung,LG, HTC, MIUI, Motorola, Apple forums
You really shouldn't waste your precious time on Sony
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-08-24 13:29

On 2012-08-24 11:27:06, mediar wrote:
It took me some time to read all the reviews Xperia blog has collected here - http://www.xperiablog.net/201[....]on-review-roundup-att-edition/ and all I can say is that I fully agree with all of them. Ion is nothing more that a mid-range phone, and as one of the reviews says - "Mid-range phones are all about compromise, and the Xperia ion is definitely compromised." Same applies to Xperia S, GX, the rest of the 2012 Xperia line. I came to the conclusion that you'll buy them only if you don't mind the old processor, OS, bad performance, design, display, camera and multimedia and Sony's unappealing and ugly UI skin with all that bloat. That's it. As thay say - if you want something more - go for Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola, Apple, MIUI or the rest. Xperia phones are only for die-hard Sony fans or people, looking for something cheap ( even though they're quite expensive for what you get, especially without contract ).

Sad part is that the potential is there to make something truly outstanding, the Acro S proves that, wish they could stop all the compromising and just hit us with something groundbreaking, they arent going to make a profit off of die-hard fans.

Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-08-24 18:13

On 2012-08-24 11:48:02, randomuser wrote:
^
Yes and do us a favor and leave this "sony forum" and post only in Samsung,LG, HTC, MIUI, Motorola, Apple forums
You really shouldn't waste your precious time on Sony

Randomuser, i completely agree - however his signature DOES raise an important insight into Sony Mobile
"Sony still makes a confusing catalog of gadgets that overlap or even cannibalize one another. And for none of them we can say This contains the best, most cutting-edge technology."

Sony's Xperia line, like SonyEricsson's previous line - has too much overlap.
Features
Price points (most especially in the same markets/target market)

Sony Mobile really only needs 6 devices; 2 for each segment
Low End
Mid End
Top Tier fighter class.
(2 for each as 1 for each segment is global while the other is for Japan/Korea design tastes).

Also Sony Mobile needs to keep the design language the same for at least 8/12mths for each segment before mixing it up so much. Xperia J/T looks like the Arc, as if going backwards, when the Xperia S/Ion/P/U all have the NXT design language and are selling very well.

basically Sony needs RAZORSHARP focus!
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-08-24 18:59

On 2012-08-24 18:13:57, Hardened wrote:

No, no, that's wrong. SE 2011 used different approach - all the phones had the same specifications with the screen size the main difference. You need a big screen - we have Arc for you. You want a small screen - we have the same great phone with smaller screen, named Mini. These phones did not overlap - they just worked as single phone that fits everyone's needs and classes. Well, the Arc might not have been on par with the competitors ( SGS 2 or HTC Sensation ), but their mid- and low-class were killers! Let's compare:

2011:
You want a good phone with:
very small screen -> Mini / with keyboard -> Mini Pro
small screen -> Ray
normal screen -> Neo / with keyboard -> Pro
big screen -> Arc

You see - there is a phone for everyone.

2012:
You want a phone with:
very small screen -> none;
small screen -> Tipo / Tipo Dual
normal screen -> Miro / Go / SX / Neo L /Sola / U / P
big screen -> SL / Acro S / GX / Acro HD / S / Ion

That's what i call overlaping. And there're even more to come. Furthermore the smaller the screen is, the weaker the processor is. So if you want a phone with small screen, you have no other choice than stick with poor hardware, camera, multimedia... That's unfair.
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-08-24 19:18
Unfortunately, you're ONLY thinking about screen sizes.
Overlapping is also related to the target market (marketing 101; which Sooo many company's forget to use).

Price points! No matter what feature or design of a product has/is if it is Too close in price to another with less (than that lessor product no longer sells well) or more (the higher priced product will not sell well: Xperia P vs S).

SE
1. Xperia Active, W8
2. Txt Pro, Xperia mini Pro, Xperia Pro (do we need differentiation of Mini Pro vs Pro, especially with less than $100 difference?)
3. Neo, Neo V, Vivaz,

Ion ... is the only unique Xperia currently in features (front camera, MicroSD expansion, HD recording 720 front/1080 rear, and LTE 3 band support). However its price point undercuts Xperia S (at least in Canada & USA for both subsidy on contract or retail pricing). The ONLY reason its NOT selling so well is those 4 buttons and limited advertising in the USA. In Canada Rogers - a well known and healthy partner of SE, now Sony - is advertising this bad boy like a mother loves her daughter. hehehe.

Marketing should also clearly define each products use/features/uniqueness and well target market in print/online/video/point-of-sales.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-08-25 00:23
Finally some people who get what im trying to say about Sony!
Hardened, that is exactly it! They must streamline the portfolio, as they used to in the beginning of the SE joint venture. Right now they are making the very same mistake that had them in free fall from 2007 onwards until Android rescued them, between 07 and end of 09 they had many products overlapping and having strange comprnmises, remember the gorgeous Aino and its limited touch display? and the many Walkman models that didnt have a proper built-in 3.5mm jack until the W995 arrived? They have comeback full circle.

The strategy they had with the X10 and its Mini variants made more sense.
The X10 was the high end with the best hardware at the time, it was the halo device of the portfolio then you had the X10mini, X10MiniPro and X8 filling mid to low end, that worked well other than the updates debacle, the range wasnt confusing and all models were clearly differentiated and they had focus.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-08-26 06:11
^ Right on.

I love the following products and I hope Sony does a better job in 2013 to have the price points and product mix unique enough for each market.

Xperia X1 (I'd love for a high-end pro full-qwerty/touchscreen landscape slide to evolve using Android! I think Motorola lost their touch with RAZR-based Droid 5).

Xperia S - unique enough to suit mid-to-top tier for full touch; for top-tier this should've gotten an S4/S4 Pro or Tegra 3 cpu (nothing less) along with the Aluminum body of the Xperia P, maybe stereo speakers (placed on either side at the top of left/right-side of the device out of a persons hand-grasp).

Xperia U - great product that fits the niche of users that want the Xperia S/P combo yet could not afford it at retail or at contract pricing of S/P combo.

Xperia Ion and similar carrier-branded unit for Verizon/AT&T/Vodafone/Orange/T-Mobile, 1 unit slightly different shells to suit them all. This is something Nokia, SE, and Motorola never got, and ONLY Samsung could do and they did it well with all the SGS II variants! I applaud them for that.
newnagasaki
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-09-03 18:29
Will the Xperia Ion (HSPA Version) work on Tmobile's 4G/3G network? The phone DOES have 1700 and 2100 bands implemented into it.

Has anyone heard any news on this?
king-james
Sony Xperia Z Ultra
PM
Posted: 2012-09-04 19:30
The ION will be available here in germany end of this week at the latest next week, HALLELUJA!!!
[ This Message was edited by: king-james on 2012-09-04 18:31 ]
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2012-09-05 18:22
Xperia line-up is really getting confusing and that too without battling any of the top contenders in the market.
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-09-05 19:46

On 2012-08-24 18:59:25, mediar wrote:

On 2012-08-24 18:13:57, Hardened wrote:

No, no, that's wrong. SE 2011 used different approach - all the phones had the same specifications with the screen size the main difference. You need a big screen - we have Arc for you. You want a small screen - we have the same great phone with smaller screen, named Mini. These phones did not overlap - they just worked as single phone that fits everyone's needs and classes. Well, the Arc might not have been on par with the competitors ( SGS 2 or HTC Sensation ), but their mid- and low-class were killers! Let's compare:

2011:
You want a good phone with:
very small screen -> Mini / with keyboard -> Mini Pro
small screen -> Ray
normal screen -> Neo / with keyboard -> Pro
big screen -> Arc

You see - there is a phone for everyone.

2012:
You want a phone with:
very small screen -> none;
small screen -> Tipo / Tipo Dual
normal screen -> Miro / Go / SX / Neo L /Sola / U / P
big screen -> SL / Acro S / GX / Acro HD / S / Ion

That's what i call overlaping. And there're even more to come. Furthermore the smaller the screen is, the weaker the processor is. So if you want a phone with small screen, you have no other choice than stick with poor hardware, camera, multimedia... That's unfair.

I'd say another way to look at the lineup would be there's a core line and then various splinter phones.

2011 core: Arc, Neo, Mini
Arc -> Arc S, Ray
Neo -> Play, Pro, Neo V
Mini -> Mini Pro, Active, Live

2012 core: GX/T/TX, S, P, Miro
GX/T/TX -> SX, V
S -> Acro S, Ion
P -> Sola, U, Go/Advance
Miro -> Tipo, Tipo Dual, J
The Neo L is more like a carryover from last year, if anything, so I'll choose to ignore it.

This way, it seems less overlapping since the "core" line covers the size/price range, with the splinter phones covering some kind of niche. For the 2011 phones, the main distinction would be the screen sizes (but I'd consider the Ray to be more derived from the Arc; most reviewers agree with this sentiment). For the 2012 phones, the main distinction would be the platforms (S4, S3, U8500, and S1). I feel like it's less confusing to look at it this way. Sure, there's more phones this year, but I don't feel like there's that serious of an overlap issue.
Detox
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-09-14 19:15
Xperia ion LTE (LT28i) Android 4.0.4 ICS update starts rolling out:
http://www.xperiablog.net/201[....]ics-update-starts-rolling-out/
Phones:
W800i | K800i | K850i | W902 | Xperia S | Xperia Z1 Compact | Xperia Z5 Compact | Xperia XZ1 Compact
Firmwares:
R1AA008 | R1CB001 | R1EA031 | R3EA037 | 6.2.B.1.96 | 14.4.A.0.157 | 32.4.A.1.54 | 47.2.A.11.228
Big_D
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2012-09-14 23:57
anyone knows if the Xperia Ion HSPA+ is capable of utilizing T-Mobile USA 3G and even 4G speeds? I know T-Mobile 4G is not the real 4G speed compared to LTE, but it's better than nothing. I just need some confirmation.

T-mobile USA network.
Xperia x10i unlocked + 32GB / Xperia Neo
Xperia TX LT29i
Xperia Z C6606
Xperia L C2104
Xperia M Dual C2004
Currently using Xperia Z1s C6916 (T-Mobile USA)
king-james
Sony Xperia Z Ultra
PM
Posted: 2012-09-22 14:08
ION is still not available in germany, but many online shops say it will come next week...

But the price is too high! 500,-Euros for a over 9 month old device! That is definately too much! Who buy it? Everybody will buy Xperia T the Bond phone for same price here!!!

Sony must correct the price of the ION to under 400,-Euro! The Xperia S cost here at the moment 350,-, so 350-400 are realistic for the ION but not 500,- IMO!
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-09-22 19:37

On 2012-09-22 14:08:08, king-james wrote:
ION is still not available in germany, but many online shops say it will come next week...

But the price is too high! 500,-Euros for a over 9 month old device! That is definately too much! Who buy it? Everybody will buy Xperia T the Bond phone for same price here!!!

Sony must correct the price of the ION to under 400,-Euro! The Xperia S cost here at the moment 350,-, so 350-400 are realistic for the ION but not 500,- IMO!

9 months after the announcement and still not released?! That'll beat even Xperia Pro's record! But... DAT PRICE!
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 89 101112  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic