Previous  123 ... 233234235 ... 318319320  Next
Author Sony Xperia Rumours 2012
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-08-09 07:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2012-08-09 05:55:58, Prom1 wrote:
Android as an OS is FREE to use - from its source code basics.
implementing:
Drivers for BaseBand Radios (various providers, various WLAN stacks via different chipsets).
DSP's for audio playback of music via speakers or headphone ranges,
Display resolutions - yes the basic kernel supports everything, BUT the screens are VERY different!
storage (internal / external has been made easy).
et cetera et cetera.
^ THIS takes a LOT of research and development: engineers, licensing deals with components purchased, hours worked on, agreements and testing with providers ... it ALL ads up! IF it didn't smaller players in teh Android ecosystem like Huwaii, Sony, etc would be just as sought after as Samsung is right now.

It's been established that, of the Android partners, Sony contributes the most to AOSP. This is in the context of the Tablet S, so we're referring to old Sony, not old Sony Ericsson here. So even if Sony is one of the smaller players in the ecosystem, they're still one of the largest contributors to the OS.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-08-09 07:27
Android is good for Sony right now but the idea of a Vita OS coming to mobiles somewhere down the line is, to me, an exciting prospect.

For the past few years Sony / , for the first time since the company was formed, is relying on just one OS - Android, when in the past it has used up to four- OSE, Symbian as well as Window Mobile.

It's a smart move to have Vita OS for mobile to fall back on in case these Android / iOS squabbles escalate.
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-08-09 09:00
Largely off topic, but it seems that Sony wants to spend 3/4 of a billion dollars to snatch up all shares of SO-NET in Japan.

http://ca.reuters.com/article[....]logyNews/idCABRE87807A20120809

Sony has been tossing around a lot of money lately and while this isn't close to the largest transaction they've done lately, it's not a small sum of money. I wonder what their end game plan may be. Could this be related tothe Gaikai purchase? The biggest problem with online streaming are data caps from ISPs, so if Sony is your ISP maybe you don't have to worry about that anymore. Of course this only applies to Japan, unless Sony is planning to branch into the ISP business in other countries... which would be fracking amazing, quite frankly!
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2012-08-09 11:10
I think all this OS discussions are off-topic, but I think If Sony wanted to use Vita OS as an operating system for phones I think they have to make sure of few things

1- Vita OS won't replace Android as the main OS, it might be used only for Pure Playstation phones, or in another language adding phone capability to a PSP device...

2- From Development perspective, I think Vita OS is a nice as an OS designed for gaming in the first place and entertainment in second place, that's why I said in the first point it should not replace Android. this makes Vita OS not that much good as a general smartphone OS unless it has a very good base for Application development and developers, and I think the best way is to incorporate the Dalvik VM to natively support Android apps, this will ensure minimum porting resources for any app or even game as the only thing most developers will do is to resubmit the app to Sony Vita market place ( of course it will have a market for it's own ), and original Vita games will still be developed using native Vita SDK for faster and more power full gaming experience and performance... this method will allow most android apps and games to be available for Vita OS and also support the original Vita only contents...

3- After that if the concept was a hit, Sony might consider having a full Android experience in the device while maintaining the dependence of both Android and Vita OS in a way to be faster in development and deploying, something like using running both OS's simultaneously in the same device, suspending Vita OS while not in use and running Android... and while gaming the Android front-end will be suspended ( only the UI ) and Vita OS will handle the game and even some notifications ( notifications alerts and can handle also calls without the need to switch between them )...

I just wanted to share my opinion regarding the possibility of using Vita OS as a mobile phone platform, If the discussion will expand I think a separate topic will be needed...

Lets go back to the topic please, rumors please rumors...
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2012-08-09 11:22

On 2012-08-09 01:16:16, rss_ndrsn wrote:
How many of those billions of activated Android devices run the latest version of the OS? Do all of the Android devices are able to run hundred of thousand apps from Google Play? Actually most of the android phones sold lately are low-end to mid-end smartphones that are not optimized for high quality games and popular apps! So what is the advantage there?

Android is actually very good at supporting legacy software, which is a redeeming feature in light of the so-called fragmentation. Most apps only require 2.1 or 2.2 and up. Most Android games aren't processor-intensive as well, so they
run well on most devices. Additionally, buying an Android is like getting a PC, you shouldn't be surprised if games run slowly if you didn't fork out enough dough.

Sony for sure will find out how to work things out in transporting games from PS Vita. Besides, it is not that Sony is going to stop making Android phones. They are just going to make Vita OS phones at the same time. Yes, developing PS Vita phone is going to cost them some money. But it will benefit them in the long term when another turn around in the mobile market happens, like in the time when suddenly iPhone became a sensation and Sony and everyone had no answer to it.

The only way to "work things out" is to put all of Vita's internals into a phone. As I said, the Vita is a very powerful device. Almost PS3-level powerful. Phones aren't and won't be for a couple of years.

PS Vita OS will give more flexibility to Sony in integrating their technologies in smartphones and tablets that they make. Thus, helping them create innovative exclusive mobile products to offer the market as well as ensuring profitability by providing unified and big ecosystem for multiple Sony products.

As you I have said before, the ecosystem that Apple created for its mobile products is what has made them the most successfull among the competition.
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2012-08-09 00:38 ]

Integrating which technologies, exactly? What are you on about? Your first paragraph sounds like generic PR rambling. As for Apple's ecosystem, just read my previous post. The Vita OS has no novelty value at all. Its interface is clunky and childish and its kernel and drivers are designed to work on only ONE device. It's gonna take a lot of R&D to fix that. Furthermore, successful ecosystems are made from popularity.

Microsoft has Windows on PC, Office and a variety of online services to back theirs.
Apple has OS X, iCloud and iOS, the latter becoming popular out of sheer novelty and brand recognition.
Google has a master suite of online services and a very flexible mobile OS that runs on hundreds of millions of devices.

Sony has 2 gaming consoles, some TV's and the not-so-popular Unlimited apps. Not so much of a software company.

@Xajel: We're discussing the rumour that Sony might use the Vita OS for phones. What's OT about that?
Tigon
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2012-08-09 11:41
Sony xperia GX unboxing and hands on..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?[....]8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Tigon
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2012-08-09 12:00
More xperia tablet pics..

http://dl.xda-developers.com/[....]2/8/0/Sony_Xperia_Tablet_5.jpg

http://dl.xda-developers.com/[....]2/8/1/Sony_Xperia_Tablet_1.jpg

http://dl.xda-developers.com/[....]3/2/7/Sony_Xperia_Tablet_3.jpg
[ This Message was edited by: Tigon on 2012-08-09 11:24 ]
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2012-08-09 12:15
They're not showing up.
Detox
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-08-09 13:30
I think Tigon meant these ones:

Delicious Tablet !
Phones:
W800i | K800i | K850i | W902 | Xperia S | Xperia Z1 Compact | Xperia Z5 Compact | Xperia XZ1 Compact
Firmwares:
R1AA008 | R1CB001 | R1EA031 | R3EA037 | 6.2.B.1.96 | 14.4.A.0.157 | 32.4.A.1.54 | 47.2.A.11.228
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2012-08-09 13:34
best looking tablet I have seen to date. Rumoured to be aluminium too? Even better! Good thing they made it a lot thinner, at least compared to the Tablet S.

Its refreshing to see something 'different'
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-08-09 13:59
Wow! Can't wait to see this in the flesh.
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2012-08-09 14:38
WoW Sony knows How to make any gadget look SEXY
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-08-09 14:53
Looks like Sony is distinguishing themselves from other tablet makers in design using the folded-magazine concept. and that made this tablet a real headturner, and it looks slimmer than the original S
10 years at Esato
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-08-09 15:41
is it me? or does the GX kind of lag when going into camera mode...?

seemed like XS was much faster going to camera and snapping photos...

moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Sugarkane
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-08-09 16:10
like.no.other
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 233234235 ... 318319320  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic