Author Sony Xperia Rumours 2012
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-05-13 18:48
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2012-05-13 17:37:28, mediar wrote:
I've explained it here:

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=202374&start=225 ( look at my posts at the bottom )

And I disagree with you. There are issues with the ICS (such as how both the ICS and GB galleries exist, the latter being there to humor the Facebook Inside Xperia functionality), but I don't have the same perception of it being some sort of haphazard mess of UX, NXT, and Holo aesthetics. It looks fine to me.

On 2012-05-13 12:45:02, Xajel wrote:
@lolstebbo

I can't agree with you, while Sony's UI is least complicated is true but it's not the fastest specially in the low spec'ed phones.. even some mid-range... take a look at Xperia 2011 models ( Arc, Arc S, Neo, Neo V, etc.. ) all equipped with 512MB ram, when you're a heavy user or even a novice user that install a lot of apps and the UI is not persist in memory you will have a lot of lags and reloading, the low RAM problem which is even used in some 2012 low-ends is very bad this what forced SE in the beginning to have the UI in presist memory mode, so when any large app ( or multi small apps ) are loaded and then you comes back to Home, the UI will have to reload every single icon again taking time and CPU resources...

In the other hand the UI it self while it's simple it's not that customizable, you can't customize your Home screen number ( always 5, no more no less ), you can't even create a folder in the applications list !! yeah clean and nice looking I agree, but lacks some major features that about every other launcher have... that's why I moved to Go Launcher ( without theme ).. it has a clean and sleek UI with ton's of features and it lacks much much less than Sony UI...

The memory mode function is rather aggravating, however it's not going to go away for any of the OEMs. Sony's UI is still one of the most efficient out of the OEM UIs.

As far as your "other hand" issue, you can't go comparing an OEM UI to a third-party UI as far as features and customizability is concerned. OEMs have to make sure their UI is easy-to-use and remains as uncomplicated as possible since they target the general public. Third-party launchers provide an alternative for people that desire more customizability, therefore they provide more features that sometimes also cause more complexity. Different priorities result in different implementations.
pmugghc
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-05-14 03:15
I think in the past most tech blogs and tech sites have disliked the UI skins that manufacturers put on Android, perhaps with the exception of HTC's Sense in the past. But now with SGS3 and its new TouchWiz add-ons I think it's the first time the tech journalists have praised the skin to actually be useful. I have no idea to what extent it bogs down performance or battery life in real usage, but so far the tests seem good. The tech sites have been less positive of HTC's Sense on HTC One X, some think it's dated. (Personally I prefer "vanilla" Android 4).
[ This Message was edited by: pmugghc on 2012-05-14 02:16 ]
Legen
W960
PM
Posted: 2012-05-14 15:44
Have always wondered why phone makes don't add "skin-off" option. How great would that be? It can even work as a marketing thing for that particular phone!
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-05-14 16:56
That's part of the idea with ICS. All manufacturers have to leave certain elements of the original android in tact. I guess that's why we see two gallery options in the Sony ICS updates. I think it's something they want to enforce more in future versions.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-05-14 19:46

On 2012-05-14 03:15:27, pmugghc wrote:
I think in the past most tech blogs and tech sites have disliked the UI skins that manufacturers put on Android, perhaps with the exception of HTC's Sense in the past. But now with SGS3 and its new TouchWiz add-ons I think it's the first time the tech journalists have praised the skin to actually be useful. I have no idea to what extent it bogs down performance or battery life in real usage, but so far the tests seem good. The tech sites have been less positive of HTC's Sense on HTC One X, some think it's dated. (Personally I prefer "vanilla" Android 4).
[ This Message was edited by: pmugghc on 2012-05-14 02:16 ]

Well, in the days of Cupcake and Donut (and, to a lesser extent, Eclair), the functionality of Android itself wasn't entirely fleshed out, thus HTC developed Sense to fill in the gaps that the base OS was missing. By the time Froyo and Gingerbread rolled around, the base OS's functionality completely covered the basics and, from that point on, OEM skins became a part of each OEM's ways of differentiating their products from competing Android products.

I think much of the praise for the new TouchWiz stems from it being an improvement over past versions of TouchWiz and from it copying over more iOS ideas.

On 2012-05-14 15:44:55, Legen wrote:
Have always wondered why phone makes don't add "skin-off" option. How great would that be? It can even work as a marketing thing for that particular phone!

Because the people that complain on the internet represent a minority demographic; the average consumer doesn't care.
Legen
W960
PM
Posted: 2012-05-14 22:45
New leak?
m.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_st27i_lotus_leaks_might_be_active_successor-news-4243.php

www.unwiredview.com/2012/05/1[....]uccessor-to-the-xperia-active/
[ This Message was edited by: Legen on 2012-05-14 21:49 ]
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2012-05-15 07:49

On 2012-05-13 18:48:04, lolstebbo wrote:

On 2012-05-13 12:45:02, Xajel wrote:
@lolstebbo

I can't agree with you, while Sony's UI is least complicated is true but it's not the fastest specially in the low spec'ed phones.. even some mid-range... take a look at Xperia 2011 models ( Arc, Arc S, Neo, Neo V, etc.. ) all equipped with 512MB ram, when you're a heavy user or even a novice user that install a lot of apps and the UI is not persist in memory you will have a lot of lags and reloading, the low RAM problem which is even used in some 2012 low-ends is very bad this what forced SE in the beginning to have the UI in presist memory mode, so when any large app ( or multi small apps ) are loaded and then you comes back to Home, the UI will have to reload every single icon again taking time and CPU resources...

In the other hand the UI it self while it's simple it's not that customizable, you can't customize your Home screen number ( always 5, no more no less ), you can't even create a folder in the applications list !! yeah clean and nice looking I agree, but lacks some major features that about every other launcher have... that's why I moved to Go Launcher ( without theme ).. it has a clean and sleek UI with ton's of features and it lacks much much less than Sony UI...

The memory mode function is rather aggravating, however it's not going to go away for any of the OEMs. Sony's UI is still one of the most efficient out of the OEM UIs.

As far as your "other hand" issue, you can't go comparing an OEM UI to a third-party UI as far as features and customizability is concerned. OEMs have to make sure their UI is easy-to-use and remains as uncomplicated as possible since they target the general public. Third-party launchers provide an alternative for people that desire more customizability, therefore they provide more features that sometimes also cause more complexity. Different priorities result in different implementations.

I know, I don't blame Sony about the efficiency of their UI, I blame them because of how far they are conservative regarding their phones.. in both Software and Hardware side... for example I used both high-end and mid-range phones from Samsung, and used High-end from HTC... all of them including their UI worked nicely and without redrawing or lag including Galaxy Ace.. even compared to SE highend phones like Arc and Neo ( 2011 high-end )...
Why is this happening ? is it the UI it self ? or the hardware ? I can see it has both !!

About my other hand, I didn't compare the Sony UI to third party one, I mentioned the third party one as I can't use other OEM UI's in my SE phone, SE UI is still the easiest one to use and from their very good old OSE based feature phones ( K750i, K850i )... but it lake's some major features specially when you're looking to other OEM UI's... folders inside app list, switches in the notifications, number of screen in the home... very small features but very very important specially for SE... Their UI is fast and efficient yes but still lags and redraw too much.. imagine you're in the middle of (Facebook, Twitter & G+)'ing and wanted to post a geo-tagged picture... starting the camera will take 10 seconds, and opps you need to turn on the GPS, and it's not in the notification area, it's in the home screen which needs another 5-10 seconds to load and redraw !! this is my blame to SE...

for know, I believe Sony will work harder, listen more to their customers and fans ( including this forum, as we always knew the good old SE was looking here also ), and I hope they fix the lag and redraws of their UI, add more features, be a little more generous in the hardware side, specially RAM, ROM and microSD slot ( a high-end phone with less than 32GB must have microSD slot, if not then add 32GB at least )... adding 1GB instead of 512MB of ram and adding a little more ROM ( at least 1GB available to the user will be enough for me and most of us for 2011 models ) this will not increase the price that much, but they didn't do so even for their high-end 2011 phones !!, even when they launched Arc S with faster processor they didn't increase the RAM !! why is this and they know by that time that ICS will need more RAM ( take a look at their blog post regarding 2011 Xperia's and ICS upgrade )

I have a believing that for Arc, Neo, Neo V, Arc S their lag and redraw things will be solved if they had 1GB of ram... and I don't need to speak about low internal memory...

I hope Sony will change this situation now and brings more generosity... I know they're working hard to optimize the software to get all what they can get from the hardware, and this is good.. very good... but lets face it.. it takes time, and they're already known by taking a long time between announcements and launches ( thought this has been better in the 2011 range except ION )... so updates is a must if they want early release... and updates take resources they don't want to waste...

They have to balance between optimizations, release time, updates, costs...

basically, the money they will save by using lower spec'ed phones will be spent ( and more of it ) in optimizations.. so save the engineering and developers time and give us some balanced specifications... I'm not saying too much, just balanced...
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-05-15 14:40
I am with Xajel! Also Ics requiring more ram is pretty stupid, htc just announced desire c with 600mhz processor and 512mb, has ics, And, I am pretty sure it will work more fluidly/equivalent than what sony offered to their 2011 devices.

The ui is really good and i love but they have to do some serious work on it. Its a shame really when my 2 yr old phone(desire) on froyo without any factory resets moves more smoothly than barely a yr old arc s/arc/neo/neo v(from my personal experience)
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-05-15 16:50
Oh i fully understand that lag.. especially when the camera... on my X10. but it seems to me, Sony has addressed these issues more, at least with the camera, in the 2012 line because they have the fast capture. Lock to camera in 1.5 seconds. That is insane! I would kill for that ability right now. I haven't used the XS to really say anything so I'm only going based on video reviews I've seen, but it seems pretty snappy and fluid to me.

moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
rss_ndrsn
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2012-05-15 18:51
I know most of the people are disappointed with Galaxy S III, but they mus not forget that Galaxy Note successor is coming, too! So that makes thing more interesting! I just hope what ever Sony has in development is good enough to compete with these smartphone titans!
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2012-05-15 19:49
[quote]
On 2012-05-09 04:19:59, WhiteEye wrote:

On 2012-05-04 13:40:28, randomuser wrote:
Update: Someone involved with Sony Mobile just confirmed that the LT29i Hayabusa will be announced on June 19.

DoCoMo summer collection to be announced 7 days from now and Hayabusa might be announced as SO-04D (Xperia GX).

BUMP
9 hours Left
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/product/2012_summer_feature/
[ This Message was edited by: smclion102 on 2012-05-15 18:49 ]
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2012-05-15 19:56
[quote]
On 2012-05-15 19:49:26, smclion102 wrote:

On 2012-05-09 04:19:59, WhiteEye wrote:

On 2012-05-04 13:40:28, randomuser wrote:
Update: Someone involved with Sony Mobile just confirmed that the LT29i Hayabusa will be announced on June 19.

DoCoMo summer collection to be announced 7 days from now and Hayabusa might be announced as SO-04D (Xperia GX).

BUMP
9 hours Left
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/product/2012_summer_feature/
[ This Message was edited by: smclion102 on 2012-05-15 18:49 ]

Engadget japanese said that there would be more info next Wednesday (tomorrow) in the news about GX last week
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2012-05-15 20:14
Fujitsu's Arrows Z ISW13F announced and using 13-megapixel camera Exmor R sensor.

Link1
Link2

Engines "Milbeaut ® Mobile" and image processing CMOS sensor "Exmor ® R for mobile" back-illuminated. The two technologies is fusion, achieved high sensitivity and low noise further.

No Samples
[ This Message was edited by: smclion102 on 2012-05-15 19:17 ]
aamwng
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2012-05-15 20:15
XS ICS bluetooth certificate

[ This Message was edited by: aamwng on 2012-05-15 19:24 ]
smclion102
T610
PM