Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > From iPhone to Galaxy Nexus - How is the Android experience compared to iOS?

Previous  123 ... 678 91011  Next
Author From iPhone to Galaxy Nexus - How is the Android experience compared to iOS?
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 02:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Erm way I see the 4S is its just a Filler before iP5 basically what Apple have done with the 4
is up it so its More in accordance with other phones thats available
Atm!

Cant believe ppl still biatching bout dis

Zzzzz Zzzzz Zzzzzzz
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 23:26
I just don't get this "where is the iPhone 5" thing - to hear people talk you'd think the 4S was just a cosmetic upgrade on the 4, but it's the exact opposite of that!

It looks the same, but practically *everything* inside is new! A new processor, sure - one of the best dual core SoC's available with a big 7x boost in graphics power. A new camera which is, it's quite fair to say, the best available on any phone period - not just a swapped out sensor but a new lens design too, and a new image processing engine enabling face detection and faster shutter response. Is that it? No - its also got a whole new antenna system which means, for the first time, the iPhone actually has excellent reception to finally rival others. It's got a new radio system that builds in GSM and CDMA - ok that means not much for us in europe but is massive on Apple's home turf. The antenna tweaks mean it's got data speeds that rival some quasi-4G phones (and I have noticed a difference here personally, 3G is definitely faster than any I've known before).

How much else is there to add to a new phone? Honestly if they'd put it in a new case and called it the iPhone 5 I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid, but because they kept the same external design (but made the antenna work) and added an "S" instead, that confused all the people that had been reading the wish-lists on tech blogs and confusing that with reality.

Apart from a new box to put it in there's only two "new" things the 4S might have had but didn't - a genuine 4G radio, and a bigger screen. It's very easy to see why neither happened, because neither fit with the iPhone's overall market. LTE is still far too much of a battery drain, and not widespread enough to be that much of a draw outside of a certain demographic. Likewise there are probably as many if not more iPhone users that would actively choose a smaller screen phone over something that didn't fit their pockets so well - and it would be difficult to implement a bigger screen iPhone without introducing more fragmentation to the AppStore, losing some of its advantage over the competition. That's not to say neither of these things will ever come, but I'm not remotely surprised they didn't turn up this time.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 23:28
@ Boinng - the reason you appear to be so aggressive is when you say things like telling me ive misunderstood the patent thing, which i havent far from it. Im enraged by Apple for very valid reasons. If you dont agree with me thats fine but remember its my opinion. I typed my opinions in bold to simply explain what i meant by them, rather than the interpretation you made of them.

As for the patent thing itself, you might think that Apple have not shown whether they will go after everyone else is baseless, but experience this past 12 months tells me a different story, Jobs said he'd do anything to kill Android so now hes no longer with us why would they be any different. As shown by their many lawsuits, clearly they do want to exploit the law across many countries across the world to support their products. I think if you think they wont, you're being naive - in my opinion of course.

I dont know how my memory of antennagate is selective or strange, thats exactly how it unfolded. I also dont believe i said no other phone suffers from this problem, when clearly anything dense enough around the aerial can cause such an issue. Where the 4 was concerned was simply poor design on Apples part. Fact. I even said at the time it probably wouldnt bother me that much id just hold the phone more lightly. What enraged me, and this is the last time i'll repeat this, is how Apple tried to con everyone into thinking there was no issue and then backtracked when they knew they'd been caught telling lies. Its offensive !

Lastly, if they'd have called the 4S the 5, it would still have been disappointing if not more so ! still only a small screen compared to todays standards, low resolution compared to the new HD displays hitting the market, no NFC, no Bluetooth file transfers, no multitasking, basically nothing of any value to someone who uses all those aspects and would like to see them present. Basic functionality which almost every other phone has.

Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 23:39
@etaab - we've just posted near simultaneously, and I don't think we're any nearer to agreeing on anything, I think you're making unfair assumptions on the patent thing and misrepresenting what's happened so far in that area, and you're also painting a very blinkers-on view of antennagate, and both are pretty familiar apple-bashing refrains that frankly I'm bored of responding to.

The fact that you can sit there and accuse the retina display of being "low resolution" compared to these so called HD displays coming out just underlines things entirely. This is a display with pixels smaller than the eye can see. Anything "higher resolution" is literally pointless. You want a bigger screen, fine, that's your point of view - but to suggest the 4S is somehow on the back foot on resolution is just utterly reaching.

Multitasking? It's been on the 3GS and above for over a year. Get into semantics if you like but it's a system that enables fast switching between apps, and allows apps to complete tasks in the background, with both local and networked push notifications to initiate actions in the background too. It's very effective multitasking, and it requires zero user management and doesn't hammer the battery.

Bluetooth file transfers? Won't be on the iPhone 50, let alone the 5, and nobody using one cares - if you don't get that by now then the iPhones just not for you!
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2011-11-20 22:48 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 23:49
Not really, thats one of the factors about the Galaxy Note which appeals to me, its large screen plus HD resolution means you can view your 720p videos pixel for pixel, webpages display really well full page to full screen etc..

Have you ever played a 720p video on a Nokia nHd screen, side by side with a Galaxy S2 ? they look many times sharper on the S2 because the pixels fit better. I can imagine videos played on the Note to look like a Blu-ray. This became evident to me last year when i was stuck with my old Satio and my girlfriend had the first Samsung Wave, the videos she took in HD looked great on her phone, where on my Satio they looked blurry because the phone was having to downsample them to a poorer resolution. The 4 and 4S have fantastic screens, but their pixel count should stay with the standard which is now moving to proper HD. 12 months ago the 4 had probably the best looking screen for sharpness, but now 12 months later i think it just looks average because its to tiny !

Maybe i am being Mr doom and gloom over the patent thing, but im sure given time Apple will exploit it. It would be stupid not to even if it annoys people like me.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 23:59
The iphone 4s has the best camera period. Who says that?? The N8 is still by far the best imo.
Phone?? What phone??
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 01:51
Etaab, iP4/S screens aren't that small there of good size
Still, besides with phones becoming larger it suxx next thing
We know we'll be using Galaxy Tablets as Phones what a put off
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 07:34
they are tiny screens compared to every other current smartphone screen...
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 10:33

On 2011-11-20 23:59:00, Bonovox wrote:
The iphone 4s has the best camera period. Who says that?? The N8 is still by far the best imo.

Hes entitles to his opinion but to be honest im with you, ive seen 4S samples, very good 8mp pictures but nothing that stands out against the N8, SGS2 or Satio. I personally think the 4S gives warmer colours than reality, where the N8 gives true colour reproduction. Oh and the 4S is missing a Xenon unit, which is a big disadvantage for night time shots of friends and family.

@ Miss UK - I know the 4S screen is large, but like jj03 just mentioned, its small by every other flagship standard. Thats why i was looking forward to the Galaxy Nexus, a larger screen with a massive resolution for its size which means everything displays crisp with little or no downsampling. I cant wait for 1080p screens, but wouldnt want it stretched over 3.5inches, which would make everything tiny if displayed 1:1 pixel ratio. The overall size of a phone is important, thats why i cant take to the Galaxy Note, but phones around the SGS2 is about right for me as im a bloke with large hands. I can understand if my girlfriend had one it would look huge.

@ Boinng - you're right we're never going to agree. I definitely do not agree with you about Bluetooth file transfers. Like i said my mate the other day who didnt know how to use the notifications area of his new 4's iOS5, also wanted me to send him some files (contacts) and mp3 files i have on my phone, i said ok but how ? your phone does not have Bluetooth for anything of any use. I tried sending them via email but i get very poor reception on O2 in my workplace and im only able to use GPRS near the front doors or even by standing outside. So, we just gave up. If he had Bluetooth it wouldnt have been an issue at all. This is another reason i was disappointed with the 4S, because it does not have NFC, which uses Bluetooth to transfer information of a larger size than NFC's limited bandwith can handle. This makes the 4S not very future proof. I expect NFC to take off rapidly next year since all of Nokia's recent handsets come with it - and they're still the worlds biggest phone manufacturer.

And as for multitasking, its not. Its task switching. Ive no doubts that all iPhones ever released could quite easily multitask but Job's strategy of not hampering the consumer with such things which can affect performance is stupid in my opinion. The iPhones does a great job of quickly switching between apps, but they dont really keep running in the background. So whats the point ? Apps dont run in the background, they pause.

anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 11:07
Etaab, it's not really a case of me being wrong on bluetooth file sharing, I said its something the iPhone will never have and I stand by that - there isn't much demand and the process is too fiddly to fit in with the iPhone's ethos, so if it's essential to you then do yourself a favour and look elsewhere, the iPhones 5, 6, 7 and 8 will all dissapoint you just as much!

I don't know whether NFC will take or not - it's something that various parties have been pushing heavily for some time but it hasn't taken over the world yet, and personally I don't think it's something I'm likely to miss in the near future - but if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Things like I contacts are easily swapped by email or even mms, yes you need the network for that but hey, it's a phone! One thing the 4S does boast is Bluetooth 4.0 - it'll be interesting to see what Apple and third party devs cook up with that.

I completely disagree on the multitasking and wonder how well you understand the iOS method for this. Apps are not necessarily paused - there is an element of "true" multitasking as they do continue to carry out relevant tasks in the background, such as streaming and playing music , uploading or downloading files etc. Push notifications allow external events to trigger things regardless of whether the associated apps are running, and "local" reminders also allow apps to fire timed events without needing a network connection. I really can't think of anything I'd want running on the phone that this doesn't cater for, and certainly wouldn't sacrifice all the benefits. I've had true multitasking phones in the past - symbian and WM and both were battery hogs requiring constant task management.

The camera - ok it's a subjective thing, but most agree it's right up there with the best, and I'm certainly not the only one to suggest it beats the others named. At very least it's a very significant upgrade that goes beyond a mere spec bump.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 13:40
I will admit the iPhone has excellent video recording!!
Phone?? What phone??
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 13:58
True, and the video stabilisation is another benefit of the 4S's hardware improvements.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 14:34
iPhone 4 is a design from 2010 though
I exspect apple will come out next yr with a bigger display although im not liking how
mobiles are becoming I don't want a Slab phone I want a phone that will fit my hands
its like phones should be small btw not large if i wanted to carry a laptop round then I would but not a phone!
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 14:59
The 3GS is still selling and that's basically the 3G design from 2008
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 15:12
Actually a well designed phone can incorporate a large screen while still keeping relatively small dimensions, of course abnormally large like the G note are different but after using my arc I could not go back to a smaller screen (defiantly not 3.5" like the iPhone) and am excited for my next phone to have a 4.7" display. It really makes all the difference, more space for the keyboard, watching videos, viewing photos etc.

It should be interesting to see what happens to the iPhone in the future, like I've already said it has an interface which has not changed since its first gen 4 years ago, and Apple will soon struggle to keep up with the modern look; it already is starting to look dated. Also eventually people are going to want something different, not stuck with the same interface. This is where Android exceeds, it's not afraid to change its appearance to keep up with what looks modern. Apps are iOS's strong point but again I believe with the developments in HTML5 these will become out of fashion. Have a look at the touch.facebook redesigned website, it's pretty impressive and you don't have to worry about bugs or updates etc. I don't think iOS has much of a future now, imo I know you're going to disagree but I don't care for it because this is my view.
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2011-11-21 14:14 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 678 91011  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic