Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > New iOS 5.0.1 Update Nothing Short of Amazing

12  Next
Author New iOS 5.0.1 Update Nothing Short of Amazing
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 19:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
wired article

Good news if youre one of the iOS 5 users who suffers from crippled battery life: Most early reports are showing that iOS 5.0.1 fixes the problem completely.
-----------

I've been using it for the last week and I certainly see the difference so nice one Apple! and prior to their suggested released time too.
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 21:00
I'm glad to hear that you finally got what you paid for
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 21:14
ooooooh! I sense a little iphone sarcasm but I think they did pretty good in getting this out just 3 weeks after official release once they got feedback from the masses.

How long did it take HTC or Samsung to do the same after release for battery or heat issues? ahem cough cough oh.. thats right... they have to wait for google to get it together, and Google generally choose to release for their own devices first!

a-n-y-w-a-y... iOS users can now get this immediately over the air and even updating via itunes doesn't require a full restore of apps and other content and so is a fairly quick update which doesn't add much to the normal data synch that most of us do
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 21:37
No sarcasm. I'm glad YOU got a working fix, cause not everyone did according to the article you linked to

But it looks like the fix isnt working for everyone. A few users have not seen any improvement with iOS 5.0.1 at this time. Gareth Evans tweeted that he saw no difference; hes still getting six hours of usage on standby and four and a half when its being used. One user even reported worse battery life with the update, but that unlucky individual seems to be an outlier.

Is this update available for everyone, or just developers like yourself? I've read that the update is 790MB in size or 45MB OTA update.

That HTC and Samsung are having problems with their updates does not make the battery problem any better for those being forced to charge their iPhone every 5 hours does it?
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 21:41
I don't know if it was my settings or the fact i was coming from a 3GS but I didn't notice the battery issue too much - will wait to see if its now doubled or anything..

Quite pleased with the delta update (a first) and the fact it could be done on the phone easily without tethering to iTunes etc.

Most pleased with this - a little extra fix that they didn't shout about so much - http://www.theregister.co.uk/[....]/10/apple_iphone_security_bug/

Ps - yes laffen, it's available to everyone! And "finally"?! Seriously, it's been a couple of weeks!
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2011-11-10 20:43 ]
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 22:41

On 2011-11-10 21:41:21, Boinng wrote:
Ps - yes laffen, it's available to everyone! And "finally"?! Seriously, it's been a couple of weeks!

I am actually a little surprised that a bug like this passed Apple's quality testing department. Unlike other manufactures, and except for one incident with the battery of the MacBook several years ago, I can't remember Apple started selling devices which wasn't in perfect order.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 22:52
Didnt Apple have this same battery bug with a previous iPhone ? wasnt it the 4 ?

Ive been using smartphones for years now with the same bug and none smartphones with battery meter bugs. Its not a big issue for me with phones ive had if im aware of it, but it can be a deal breaker for people not in the know.

Its not really a big deal really more so for Apple if users can update quickly over the air. Does the 4S make it known with a popup ?
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 22:55
in another topic I was mentioning that from the first iOS5 beta we saw huge battery problems but many bug reports later each beta over 3+ months improved that... but even the beta program is limited such that until the software goes mass market not every issues can be resolved. iOS 5 was a huge upgrade when you take into account the whole icloud (hence frequent online actvity) functionality and not even Apple are immune to the usual sdlc issues of any major project.

Agreed its unusual for Apple though I'm not much of an apple user outside of iphone and having a mac for development but as market pressures affect Apple as they do any other manufacturer I suspect we'll see a few more unexpected issues from time to time.

I've always said for many years that these battery issues are blown well out of proportions give that most of us go home and plug our phones in without a thought... and more recently we do so in order to sync our latest data/emails/podcasts/whatever... so those that think we should expect days and days from modern device are just fooling themselves... perhaps when we get nuclear power in our mobiles but until then... be realistic!
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 22:58
Which HTC had issues? Certainley not Sensation Mass
Ooh Sarcasm back atcha

Btw iP4 battery is well good even though
Im yet to use phone side of mine
Its amazing as a iPod seriousley!

Mass have you Run Redsn0w on urs
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 23:14
yeah, I've jailbreaked with redsn0w in the past but I no longer see any need since iOS 5 as the apps I paid for and used in jailbreak are now covered by iOS 5 functionality... so no more need for me
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 23:25
Lol im awaiting a redsn0w update to sort out baseband in
iOS5 then hoefully no more tethered boots

Btw Hope its soon eager to test phone piece
Out but loving a better iPod in return
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 23:38
so what do you need from jailbreak these days? I'm intrigued? (also it might give me an idea for an official iOS app )
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-11-11 09:30

On 2011-11-10 21:37:06, laffen wrote:
That HTC and Samsung are having problems with their updates does not make the battery problem any better for those being forced to charge their iPhone every 5 hours does it?

So true.

The title if this thread reminded of a movie with great reviews only for me to be extremely disappointed after watching it.

I was expecting something about the os itself and not the battery issue. Misleading title.

It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2011-11-11 12:22
Mass for foreign network iPhones
The ability to gain access into the menus
Well thats what the tethered boot allows atm

Im hoping Dev release another update soon
So I can turn the handset on and off normally!

I think im also awaiting something called Ultrasn0w
Aswell this unlocks the phone

If you could sort anything out for me you think lol

Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-11-11 16:52
Seems iOS 5.0.1 has NOT solved the battery issue for many, in fact for some it has made it worse and now some of those who were previously unaffected have also begun experiencing awful battery life: www.phonearena.com/news/iPhon[....]-some---its-even-worse_id23707

I remembering reading about Apple's A5 chip apparently overheating in iPhones before the 4S was announced, this maybe hardware related, could Apple find themselves having to do a recall or stopping production for a while i wonder?
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi