Author Tomtom now available for ipad
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 20:09
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
... and its WOW!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/ap[....]estern-europe/id326075062?mt=8

whats more, its a universal app so if you already have it on your iphone you can now have it on your ipad for no extra payment.

pocketlint hands-on
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 20:23
How is the user experience on the small 3.5 inch iPhone display? I have a 3.5 inch TomTom Rider attached to my motorbike and while it is OK to look at the screen, the user interface on such a small display is not very good.

TomTom will have to do the same thing as Garmin. Offer apps and services instead of hardware. Apart from the larger displays, more and more smartphones have the same physical features as the TomTom car navigation systems.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 20:34
I've actually switched from using my 4.3" Garmin to the iphone tomtom app as its very usable, and even more so now on the ipad by the looks of it. I just need to get a car mount for the ipad now!

I do miss the voice control that the Garmin had but to be honest I never really used the apps on the device, except the music player combined with the FM transmitter to play through the car radio.

The tomtom app already has a built in "shop" for buying traffic and speed camera subscriptions as well as celebrity (well Simpsons and Star Wars) voices, but I guess they'll won't do apps like the Garmin did as there are plenty on the app store. The tomtom app also has "map share" for getting latest user submitted and verified road changes, as well as IQ routes than plan based on historical traffic conditions for a given route, and also lane images for intersections/motorway exits etc.

So its fairly comprehensive compared to the stand alone units
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-22 17:19
I've ordered car mount last night but took the ipad tomtom app for a test drive today and it is really so much more usable than the iphone app. They've really made good use of the extra real estate for popup screens etc but even if they didn't, who ever heard of a 10" touch screen gps! wow!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi