Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Samsung and Google announces Galaxy Nexus smartphone running Android version 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

Author Samsung and Google announces Galaxy Nexus smartphone running Android version 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 06:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Samsung and Google today announced Galaxy Nexus, the first smartphone running version 4.0 of the Android operating system.
Esato News

Samsung Galaxy Nexus Google phone

At an event in Hong Kong today, Google introduced version 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich of the Android operating system and the first smartphone running the new OS. Samsung Galaxy Nexus is an smartphone with a curved 4.3 inch touch screen. Most of the specifications and images of the devices was leaked days before the actual announcement so we had already updated our phone directory with this info.

Apart from being the first Android 4.0 ICS smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus impresses with a rounded shaped 4.65 inch touch screen. The rounded shape and the Contour Display makes the Galaxy Nexus fit perfectly in within the hand. The screen resolution of 1280 x 720 is nothing more than impressive. The resolution is even higher than the 10.1 Galaxy Tab tablet. Only a handful smartphones has a pixel density (PPI) higher than 300, and those screens are all below 4 inch in size. Galaxy Nexus has 315 PPI and a 4.65 inch display.

The thickness of 8.9 mm makes the Galaxy Nexus one of the thinnest smartphones in its class. The 1.2 GHz dual core processor powers the device enough to capture videos up to 1080p quality. A 5 megapixel camera is a little disappointing in a flagship model but the image quality can still be good.

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich brings countless new features to the market. Such as the gimmick feature Face Unlock where the phone can be unlocked by switching on the phone and looking into the camera. Android Beam is another feature where active apps can share photos, links, contacts etc by holding two NFC enabled devices close to each other and push the display to beam the content over to the other phone. Voice typing is a voice to text feature for all applications.

As we have seen in a couple of other newly released Android devices, Samsung Galaxy Nexus features a new function for panorama shots.

Galaxy Nexus will be available in two versions. One GSM version which will have 4G using HSPA+ and the other version with LTE.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus first Ice Cream Sandwich smartphone

Samsung Galaxy Nexus highlights

• Size: 135.5 x 67.94 x 8.94mm
  • Weight: 135 gram
  • Networks: GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900, HSPA 850/900/1900/1700/2100, HSPA+ (alternatively LTE)
  • 4.65 inch Super AMOLED display, 1280 x 720 pixel resolution
  • 5 megapixel camera, autofocus, LED light, panorama shot
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • Wi-Fi a/b/g/n 
  • 1080p HD video capture @30 fps
  • Bluetooth 3.0
  • USB
  • NFC
  • A-GPS
  • 3.5 audio jack
  • 1.2 GHz dual core processor
  • 1 GB RAM. 16/32 GB internal storage
  • Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system
  • 1750 mAh battery
  • Sensors: Accelerometer, compass, gyro, light, proximity, barometer

[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2011-10-19 05:52 ]
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-19 06:34
See? They CAN make a phone that doesn't look like an iPhone! Any news on availability?
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 06:39
Available in U.S, Europe and Asia in the beginning of November.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 06:51

See? They CAN make a phone that doesn't look like an iPhone! Any news on availability?

Yes but only with google's intervention

GSMArena says it should be available on November
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2011-10-19 05:52 ]
10 years at Esato
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 08:03
A good, well rounded device, the OS is the interesting part for me, although I still think the voice thing is over rated.
semo
Vivaz Silver
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 11:06
The screen resolution and the new Android are the only two really impressive points here. We'll see how the 1750 mAh battery handles these. Whereas design is just... like many, many others.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 11:12
Hmmm...looks like they've copied Sony Ericsson's layout with the 2 apps either side of the app launcher on the bottom row of icons go and sue!
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Geezay
HTC Desire
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 11:13
The OS is definitely the highlight for me. It looks more refined and elegant. Reminds me of Windows Phone 7 in a way... Check out the video for those interested.

I am a bit disappointed by the Galaxy Nexus, especially the processor and imaging department. The Samsung Galaxy SII has a 1.3MP and 8MP camera at the front and back respectively, and this trounces the Galaxy Nexus! And a 1.2Ghz dual core processor? HTC have already hit the 1.5Ghz mark. So why so "restrained" Samsung? Is this Samsung's way of making sure that when they release the SG SIII it will be better in every way than the Galaxy Nexus?
If it is to be it is up to me!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 11:43
So Google does not have their say on the specs of their pure Android breed of phones then?? Shame as the announcement of this phone something big is coming sounded exciting. Another anti climax. And no not every Samsung looks like the iphone my Samsung Wave 2 is nothing like it. The Galaxy Ace is the worst one for iphone looks
Phone?? What phone??
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 12:36
Is it just me or the back of this phone looks plain hideous
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 13:02
What I don't get is why the step down in the camera department. This is like the iPhone 4s, nothing fresh new and exciting.

@Geezay, I agree with you totally.

Edit, you know what, I want to believe that Sammy will come with something we did not expect otherwise forget it.
[ This Message was edited by: skblakee on 2011-10-19 12:04 ]
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 13:11
EVERYTHING we saw in the rumours came true

-Holographic UI aka Honeycomb UI
-Button less phone, as i had said in another topic, if you have used Android3.0 Honeycomb you will know that ICS will not require buttons!
-Android3.0 widgets that are resizable
-There are no major system requirements other than GPU as Ice Cream Sandwich brings Hardware Accelerated UI, majority of Androids have a GPU.
-HD 1280x720P screen res support.
-Android3.0 task manager
-Android3.0 Web browser
etc etc...

Looks amazing, im very fond of the Honeycomb Android3.0 UI on my Galaxy Tab10.1 and i always said its more mature and elegant than the phone UI so im glad to see Google also realised this and made it for phones to.
Apparently its also now possible to "disable" preinstalled apps so they dont use any resources and dont appear in app list, also an advanced data manager that even allows you to set it to stop data transfer when reaches a certain limit.

Loads more here: http://developer.android.com/[....]0-highlights.html#UserFeatures

Personaly VERY happy with the announcement, Android4.0 is mature, elegant, highly functional, and a major step forward for Android.
The SAMSUNG Galaxy Nexus was NEVER going to be mind blowing, for goodness sake its a DEVELOPER PHONE its just a benchmark to give developers and manufacturers an idea of what Android is capable of and what is expected, dont expect Nexus devices to be great in imaging or power.
This runs a TI OMAP4460 dual-core CPU with PowerVR SGX540 GPU, its decent and being a TI OMAP chip will give the Tegras and Snapdragons a run for their money despite being clocked lower.

See this as an idea of what to expect from SE, MOTO, HTC, SAMSUNG, LG etc... when they bring out Android4.0 phones and update the other to 4.0, they will put their own skin over it, but this is a very good base for them as major functionality has been added, all the OEMs have to do is bring a nice up to date skin and some of their proprietory apps, but they will require less work in 4.0.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2011-10-19 12:25 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 13:22
Okay so can any one say when we will see this start rolling out to current phone owners?

Thanks.

Edit, okay found this - http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]tically-in-the-mix-too_id23087

What do you think?
[ This Message was edited by: skblakee on 2011-10-19 12:26 ]
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 13:39
Ok yes would love ICS but not in this device
Phone?? What phone??
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 13:41
I don't like this phone and I don't like Android.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi