Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Trauma of damaging your phone !

Author Trauma of damaging your phone !
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-09-16 23:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
This topic has probably been raised before but as a mobile phone lover and a geek ive always dreaded the day this happened for the first time. Today was that day when i dropped my latest mobile phone for the first time causing it to become damaged. As many people know on Esato, i own an orange Nokia N8, but apart from peoples negative opinions on its operating system ive always held it in high regard and as probably one of the last Symbian device ill probably ever own ive kept it in brand new condition since the day i bought it last year.

But today the tragic day came which i dread every time i buy a phone. Today whilst at the petrol station my N8 slid out of its sock and slammed into the petrol stations brick floored forecourt, which conveniently (or rather very unconvenient more like) enough had a small petrol spill right where it fell. Even though the damage was quite minimal, a small dent in the end plastic cap, a few scuffs into the orange casing (ruining the paintjob) and the other odd scratch, the phone works just as good as new. Luckily, the glass screen and camera lens did not receive any damage. But now, its just not the same phone..

My N8 was like brand new, and now its used. Its damaged, it can never be returned to its former glory. I dont know if its just me or does anyone else feel like their world has come to an end when this happens. Ive been in a bad mood ever since it happened this afternoon. This is not the first time this has happened though, its happened with every phone ive owned. Sometimes its happened within weeks, other phones within a year.

The only saving grace is that my contract is now up and im just waiting for a new phone to get on contract. Which will be great, until my next phone suffers the same fate !!
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-09-16 23:34
Yes,I am with you too & sorry to hear about your accident. It does really get to you when it happens it's like your pride & joy damaged. That beautiful piece of kit you have everywhere with you for everything. Do you have insurance?? If it's horribly damaged but still working just break it till it's a write off then claim for a shiny new one on insurance. I have done that cheeky sod I am
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-09-16 22:36 ]
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-09-16 23:36
Yes i do, but its not worth claiming just to get some minor scratches and dents replaced.

Its one of those wish i could turn the clock back situations !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-09-16 23:37
No I know you cannot claim for minor nicks & dents but just accidentally on purpose write it off & claim When it's an expensive piece of kit you do get pissed off that it's dented. When it falls to the pavement it's like it happens in slow motion No matter how careful you are you always drop your phone
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-09-16 22:41 ]
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-09-16 23:47
I didnt even realise it was my phone at first, i just felt something drop, the noise it made when it bounced on the brickwork and the sheer disbelief when i realised it was my phone. It was kind of my own fault though, the N8 is a very slippery device and the phone sock i have has no grip on it at all.

I think ill burn the sock !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-09-16 23:50
The Gorilla glass on the n8 is very tough though. Get a white silicon case as i have one on my HTC now and it looks nice plus it provides grip and bounces rather than clangs on the hard paving. I never forget once i was at a bus stop and i went to put my phone back in my inside jacket pocket where i always put my phone. I missed the pocket and it slipped to the concrete by my feet. No damage but afterwards screen kept flickering. It was the old c902

[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-09-16 22:55 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-09-16 23:55
Im not a big fan of cases which stay on the phone. I think the next phone i get ill get such a case, but take it off when i get home. My mate who has an iPhone 4 has a white bumper which Apple were giving away to avoid the death grip thing, but its so ugly since its white colour has.. discoloured yellow !

Oh and his iPhone 4 still has dents in the metal and chips out of the glass.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-09-17 00:00
I hate mose cases but this white silicon case i got does not spoil the look of the phone as it's a silver and white phone anyway.
Phone?? What phone??
MFire
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-17 00:01
I personally clean my phone every day, make sure not even a tini tiny piece of dust drops on it. Still my phone has 2 very annoying (to me) scratches on it and though they're not even noticeable I'm thinking of getting another battery cover (the casing is metal, just like the N8's) . I want my expensive piece of technology to look and feel perfect, I guess if I dropped it I'd be out of my mind :|
Hope it never happens .
[ This Message was edited by: MFire on 2011-09-16 23:03 ]
Sony-Ericsson - Acer - AMD - Nvidia
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-09-17 00:04
What phones do you both have ?

My T610 from 2003 was in mint condition, until some idiot i work with knocked it out of my hand and put a massive dent into the rear battery cover.

The only phone ive ever had which is badly damaged was my N95 8gb, which has more scratches, dents and broken buttons than all my other phones combined.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2011-09-16 23:06 ]
MFire
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-17 00:07

I have a Samsung Wave GT-S8500. It has a metal casing and gorilla glass but still I use a screen protector.
A silicone case would ruin the feel of it I guess though the casing gets pretty damn cold during winter
MFire
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-17 00:12

Yeah I know, the Cha Cha is very nice, my brother was thinking of getting one. Unique design on that one
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-09-17 00:14
Thats my girlfriends phone, she has a silicone case on it. Shes dropped it so many times yet its not got a scratch on it apart from the screen which has two deep cuts into the super amoled. But thats what you get for keeping it in a handbag with bunches of keys

I think a silicone case is a must now for my next phone, like i said which ill use out and about but take off at home or in work.

You see, ive used socks for years because Nokia phones especially still have the old screen and case over the top. If theres one thing i hate more than scratches, its dust inside the screen casing. Thats what attracts me to Samsung phones like your Wave, its screen is fused to the touchscreen layer so theres no chance of dust inside the screen. You simply wipe it off.
MFire
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-17 00:19
It's more then that, even the speaker grill, the microphone orifice, the camera they are all made so there is no getting dust or other small parts in.
Dust was a problem with all my phones, not with this one though.
I must admit, coming from Sony-Ericsson phones witch I've owned for 10 years, Samsung did a great job, something Sony-Ericsson can't seem to get right these days :|
[ This Message was edited by: MFire on 2011-09-16 23:20 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-09-17 00:19
Every new phone i buy i am checking for dust under the display. I hate it. So many screens seem to be not sealed properly. The silicon cases are good cos its like rubbery grip and it protects it when it falls. I don't use the Face Book feature on the HTC. There is no way i would use leather case
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi