Forum > Network operators > Europe > Giff Gaff

12  Next
Author Giff Gaff
pmerryman
HTC Wildfire S
PM
Posted: 2011-08-16 14:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Currently my daughter is on an old o2 £10 monthly simplicity deal which includes no data allowance. She is going to be looking at getting a new phone for christmas, so will obviously be looking at something with a data allowance. Now I have seen the giff gaff sim goody bags, and the £10 goody bag looks great for the money. Does anyone use giff gaff? are there any catches with them? Also if she chooses a blackberry, can she enable BBM and internet with giff gaff?

Paul
One Day, Men Will Look Back And Say I Gave Birth To The 20th Century.
You have to have a piss in the sea, its the law.
The A-Z of Trusted Traders
[img]http://a-zott.com/images/A-Z
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-08-16 14:44
I have been using giffgaff for over a year now and i can completely 100% recommend it. I currently use the £10 good bag and its suits my usage needs. Only issue i have with them is that you can only top-up online but they have an option to auto top-up once that option is selected so you never need worry about running out of credit.

adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-16 14:48

On 2011-08-16 14:31:40, pmerryman wrote:
Currently my daughter is on an old o2 £10 monthly simplicity deal which includes no data allowance. She is going to be looking at getting a new phone for christmas, so will obviously be looking at something with a data allowance. Now I have seen the giff gaff sim goody bags, and the £10 goody bag looks great for the money. Does anyone use giff gaff? are there any catches with them? Also if she chooses a blackberry, can she enable BBM and internet with giff gaff?

Paul

Hi Paul, I use them and I can say they are defiantly the best value PAYG operator at the moment. The goody bags are also very good value but they obviously only last a month. If you opt not to have them, calls are 8p per minute and texts are 4p and giffgaff to giffgaff calls are free (including video calls). So yeah if you're willing to buy a phone separately its the best option, currently blackberry is not supported but I know that they are working on making it compatible with it in the next few months.
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2011-08-16 13:50 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-16 17:08
A Blackberry and data tethering goodybag is on the way soon starting from £5 a month.
Been with giffgaff for over a year myself now. They do have their problems occasionaly but are quite good otherwise and really cant be beaten for value.
I tried sniffing coke once but didnt like it. The bubbles kept going up my nose
pmerryman
HTC Wildfire S
PM
Posted: 2011-08-16 20:21
Is the monthly thing easy to setup, as I dont want her to run out of credit due to not having topped up.
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-08-16 21:05

On 2011-08-16 20:21:49, pmerryman wrote:
Is the monthly thing easy to setup, as I dont want her to run out of credit due to not having topped up.

yes very easy, once you've registered onto the site all you need to do is enter your card details and select (tick) the Auto top up option and its done.

pmerryman
HTC Wildfire S
PM
Posted: 2011-08-16 21:17
Many thanks. Will keep an eye on these for when she gets the new phone. Might ring o2 to see if they can match it or we are off.
fluke9
Samsung Galaxy S III
PM
Posted: 2011-08-16 21:41

On 2011-08-16 21:17:19, pmerryman wrote:
Many thanks. Will keep an eye on these for when she gets the new phone. Might ring o2 to see if they can match it or we are off.

Don't hold your breath.

0poo ain't to good at keeping customers.
pmerryman
HTC Wildfire S
PM
Posted: 2011-08-16 21:45
I'm not bothered either way, but its worth a shot.
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-08-16 21:51
giffgaff is part of 02 anyway and use the same network.

pmerryman
HTC Wildfire S
PM
Posted: 2011-08-16 22:01
I know, but surely o2 would like the money.
fluke9
Samsung Galaxy S III
PM
Posted: 2011-08-16 22:35
I was a customer of theirs for many years, the last upgrade they offered me was a down grade, less text's limited internet, told them I was going to 3 unless they could do better, they said go.
pmerryman
HTC Wildfire S
PM
Posted: 2011-08-16 22:48
Bloody hell.
Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-17 01:06
Same here. I've been with O2 since they were BTcellnet. Same with my mother and my girlfriend. All they said was that GiffGaff dont have a UK customer service center so they're no good ????? (er....online forum,ask an agent option hmmmmmm)
O2 will no longer match or beat any deals found elsewhere either. Was told that by their online customer service number and also the store attendant at my local O2 shop.

If your daughter does go on Giffgaff. You will need to activate the sim by topping up £10 minimum (I would recommend £20 top up if you intend to purchase a goodybag as well). Once activated and your phone number is shown in the top left of your My Giffgaff page. You can use that £10 credit to buy a goodybag or just as credit. You can even just buy a goodybag instead paying for it out of your credit.
A goodybag lasts for 30 days. You need to queue your next goodybag at least 24 hours before the current one expires. If you use all the minutes in a goodybag (eg £10's 250mins) you cannot just buy another goodybag. You must wait until the current one expires and your queued one starts. Additional minutes etc used over the goodybag allowance comes out of any credit on the account which is why I'd recommend a minimum of £10 credit stored on your account as a backup to a goodybag just incase its needed.

The auto top up feature works by if your credit falls below £3 you allow giffgaff to automatically take money from your account and add it onto your credit balance. IIRC you can specify how much you want to auto top up. I dont use the feature personally as my credit never falls below £30 (payback is great )

You can also use O2 e top up vouchers to add credit and theres also giffgaff e top up vouchers available now (Asda,Tesco,Post Office,Bargin Booze are the ones I know of that do them). You basically go onto giffgaffs website and input the voucher code in the box halfway down your My GiffGaff page on the right or by ringing the top up line from your phone.
Goodybags can only be purchased via GiffGaffs website.

Hope this helps
I tried sniffing coke once but didnt like it. The bubbles kept going up my nose
fluke9
Samsung Galaxy S III
PM
Posted: 2011-08-17 02:29
I don't use giffgaff but does that auto top up work on the normal 8p 4p tariff ???
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi