Author T68 Phonebook HUGE bug
x-Fede
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2001-12-12 01:08
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all, [first post!]
I found a strange bug on my R1B T68.

Shortly: names and numbers disappear from my phonebook.

Detailed: I had (have?) 267 entries in my phonebook (most of which have more numbers/emails in it) and 9 vocals names. All at once, if I scroll down in the phonebook, about half of the names are "blanked", their numbers and informations are blanked too, and there's no way to call/send an sms to them.
Example of my phonebook:
John White
Joan Red
[ ]
[ ]
Jijo Black
[ ]
Other fantasy name

Where i placed the square bracket, there are 100% WHITE lines. If I try to call one of this "names", I get the option to select one of the number I previously set for those names, but the numbers are WHITE too, and there is no way to call or send sms.
The strange thing is that I found a "blanked" number which still has the vocal symbol on its side:
[ ] @

This problem happened to me the second day I was using the phone (with only about 50 numbers in the phonebook)... but names reappeared after few hours. Few days ago, I moved my old Nokia 6210 phonebook to the T68 [I had to write a script to convert it]... everything worked fine untill today, when about 100 numbers disappeared from the phonebook.
Pheraps this was due to the need of removing battery/shuttind down the phone due to GPRS hangs?

What shall I do? Shall I upload again my full phonebook on the T68? I'm getting bored by all these t68 bugs, slowness and stupid stuff.

The t68 is very sexy, but the software of my nokia 6210 was MUCH better, more intuitive, faster and stable. (I don't want to start a flame anyway about this... I just need to solve my problem!)
x-Fede
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2001-12-12 01:16
UPDATE:
I tried to call one of the "blanked number".. and the phone recognise it.

Example:
John's mobile= 12345

In the phonebook, John appears as a WHITE line.
If I try to press the green key on John's line, the T68 tries to call the number 'unknown'.

If I call '12345', the T68 says it's calling John.. so the numbers are there, somewhere, even if not correctly shown in the phonebook. Any idea?
zucchini
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2001-12-12 01:24
strange but my T68 doesnt have this problem.. may be u should return your T68 and ask for a refund!!
x-Fede
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2001-12-12 01:55
Also.. is it normal that it takes AGES to load the phonebook at powering on?
If I power on and immediatly try to go down with the joystick, I get a "please" wait, and it can take something like 40/60 seconds to load the phonebook!!!
ewap8
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2001-12-12 02:02
Yeah, its normal, it does take ages.
Thats coz the phone reads all the info of ur phonebook during startup. So some time is taken.
juming
K810 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2001-12-12 08:37
Yes it happened also with mine, but quickly go to shop and make an exchange with the other, and now it's going fine no more trouble.

Tips, actually you can make "copy to SIM" from your phonebook, and then restore it again by "copy from SIM", this working even your phonebook is blank.

But my suggestion is going back to store and ask for exchange. Software upgrade will not help this problem.
x-Fede
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2001-12-12 11:06
IMHO it IS a software problem... maybe it's rare because it happens only under some conditions.. but it's for sure a software problem, not an hardware related thing...
At the end, I uploaded again my phonebook on the t68, erasing the old one and losing all the vocals name and the "preferred" numbers... but at least the phonebook is ok again.
I think I'll update the phone to R1C soon, hoping it will fix this bug too.
wapster
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2001-12-12 12:50
Had the same problem on my R520... Just to empty it and load it up again... :|
tjajt
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2001-12-12 13:41
Are you storing the names on the SIM? My 250 numbers or so are immediatly available (stored in the phones memory).

Don't know if this helps your other problem, but:

I had synch problems between a PC (outlook) and a Compaq Ipaq due to how the names originally had been entered. I.e the outlook field FIRST NAME contained the full name and the field LAST NAME were empty. I re-entered the names on the computer (quicker...) correctly once, and after that I have no problems. In fact, I now for the first time have the same contact list in 4 devices (synchronising them all); work PC, home PC, PDA and Phone. Very neat!

cheers/P-A Stockholm

Quote:

On 2001-12-12 01:55, x-Fede wrote:
Also.. is it normal that it takes AGES to load the phonebook at powering on?
If I power on and immediatly try to go down with the joystick, I get a "please" wait, and it can take something like 40/60 seconds to load the phonebook!!!

juming
K810 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2001-12-12 14:37
But it's not right, since you will get same problem next time, so if you don't want to exchange it better you make SIM copy as often as you can, otherwise you must return it, since the normal one NEVER got that problem.
x-Fede
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2001-12-12 15:24
1) I can't keep all those numbers on the SIM, also because on the SIM you can save only 1 number. I've PLENTY of contacts with more than 1 number per name.

2) it's a software problem, I suppose all the t68 r1b are affected by this problem. MAYBE it never happened to you because it's a bug that pops out in particular cases (lot of phone numbers, particular characters like è ù ò or whatever... it could be any stupid & rare thing.. ).

3) it's not a problem due to the import of the numbers. It happened to me even when I saved some numbers by hand. And also, I've uploaded the phonebook using EXACTLY the format of the file used by the t68: I developed a small program for this purpose, to convert my nokia phonebook in the ericsson format.. and everything is imported 100% correctly.
jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2001-12-12 15:57
I have no problems with the phonebook,..it loads immediatly.

I have all my contacts in the phone itself, not on sim.

The one problem i did have,..when moving contacts from T-39 to T-68 (used copy to sim)
was :

When you have a person in your phonebook with more than one phonenumber, this isnt gonna work very well when put into the new phone.
The new phonebook will just add the name twice (make two contacts). I know the problem is the SIM-card,..it cant handle this, but still its annoying

Jan

Johan
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2001-12-12 16:45
When is the latest software upgrade available for T68?
The one that upgrades to MMS .. is it already available.. or when?
jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2001-12-12 16:51
Johan,..the MMS upgrade is not available yet. Some say in Q1 2002.

The newest software is R1C,..available now. I have just got my T-68 upgraded to this version.
Go to an Ericsson service center,..the upgrades are free of charge

Jan
Johan
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2001-12-12 17:20
But what does it do?
Do R1C include the photogallery thingy?

Do u notice any difference?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi