Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > iOS 5 discussion

1234  Next
Author iOS 5 discussion
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-06-06 20:39
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
WWDC today showed a preview of iOS 5. Here are some of the key new features out of the 200+ that have been added.

• Notifications Centre - Swiping down from the top shows an aggregation of all notifications in a simple list where you can easily view the item or clear the notification.
    Its also available on the lock screen too.
  • Newstand - a central place to get publications via subscription. Downloading is in the background with offline viewing and the publications are viewed in an iBooks style bookshelf
  • Twitter - Fully integrated into many apps such as camera, maps
  • Safari - is now tabbed for quicker access to all windows. There's also a new button for Reader view and Reading List for a simple way to read the page later. Pages tagged can be read later on multiple devices.
  • Reminders - Provides a way to store lists of things with reminders and even set a location of where to be reminded!
  • Camera - There's now a camera button on the lock screen which can be used even if you have a device password set. Also, the up volume key can be used as a shutter button. Pinch-to-zoom is now available and there are many edit features built in (crop, rotate, red-eye)
  • Mail - Rich text formatting with indentation, draggable address, set as read/unread and flagging. You can now search within messages
  • Dictionary - is now built in. Simply click on a word and tap Define. This works in all apps.
  • Keypad - You can now grab each side of the keypad with your thumbs and the keypad splits making it more thumb friendly.
  • "Computer Free" - You can now set the iPHone up right out of the box without connecting to iTunes. Also firmware updates are over-the-air and are done by delta-changes (only what needs to be updated, not the full firmware each time). You can also create calendars, mail folders etc all on the device.
  • Game centre - various improvements
  • Messaging - New messaging service between all devices running iOS. Supports iPhone, iPad, iTouch and lets you send messages, photos, videos, contacts and has group messaging. Also has read receipts, delivery reports and real-time typing notification. You can start a conversation on your iPhone and continue on your iPad
  • Air Play mirroring - mirror your iPad to the TV wirelessly
  • WiFi iTunes sync
  • Multi tasking genstures to flick between apps

It'll be available in Autumn but the SDK is available to developers from today

more at the Engadget blog
rickster2kuk
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2011-06-06 21:14
The camera button/shutter thing is a really good move (esp on the lockscreen). Shame it's not a proper mechanical shutter replacement, but maybe that will come in the next iphone.
sambouka
Ericsson T39
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-06-06 22:07
One of the 200 iOS 5 enhancements:
"Your inbox is about to receive some great new features. Format text using bold, italic, or underlined fonts."
gh680-gh628-t19-t28-t39-t200-z200-v800-w810i-w900i-p910i-w850i-z610-z310i-m600-w880i-w910i-g900-c902-w705-g705-x1-w995-aino-satio-x10-vivaz-x10mini-play-arc-neo-xperias-xperiaion-xperiago-z-zultra-z1compact-z3-z3compact-z5premium-xa1ultra-xz2-xz3-xperia1
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-06-06 22:18
Apple's iOS 5 page
AllenSantiag
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-06-07 08:27
The new iOS 5 comes with more than 200 features. Amongst all features, I like the most is its PC free. Now no need to connect any Apple devices whether it is iPhone, iPad or iPod. I am really excited for iOS 5.
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2011-06-07 11:09
The notification system has been done very well, reminds me of the Palm Pre in a way, pretty clever integration with the lock screen too.
I don't like the twitter integration, yeah it's great i you use it, but a waste of time and space if like me you don't and probably never will. I'm also concerned if the auto setup PC free will lead to Sim free devices?
Anyway, as usual with Apple, good and bad things. Someone also noted that the LED flash will light for notifications too? Really can't see the point in that one, if you do that then stick a proper notification LED in it, especially at the iPhones price!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-06-07 11:21
I didn't like the twitter integration either, but it does seem unobtrusive unless you actually want to use it. much like the MMS, mail, sms options.

my last 2 iphones, and my ipads, have been sim free as I bought them from Apple, but I suspect the carrier supplied ones will still come locked.
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2011-06-07 11:41

On 2011-06-07 11:21:53, masseur wrote:
I didn't like the twitter integration either, but it does seem unobtrusive unless you actually want to use it. much like the MMS, mail, sms options.

my last 2 iphones, and my ipads, have been sim free as I bought them from Apple, but I suspect the carrier supplied ones will still come locked.

haha, what I meant was that the rumor about Apple's devices not needing a sim at all may come true from all this, the sim being built into the device itself.

And yeah, the mail I neer bother with, but the camera features mean I can ditch my camera apps, the MMS and SMS are very good. But when you watch the keynote some of the features were iPad exclusive like the tabbed browsing i have an iPhone.
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2011-06-08 20:33
It reminds me of Intelliscreen, looks like people wont need that anymore.
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2011-06-09 17:34
Been using it for 2 days on ipad 1 and iphone 4...my veredict? Itīs awesome
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-06-09 17:44
I've been holding off until the next beta version due to the many comments on the developer forum

have you really had no issues at all?
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2011-06-09 17:55
I canīt say thereīs no issues...some apps might not work (like pixelpipe on the iphone), but most do, namely the ones i use most. Also, sometimes you can get a random crash, but theyīre not frequent, at all, and everything else works has it should, namely the new features like notifications, icloud backup, etc...Battery has also not been much worse on the ip4, and on the ipad i donīt see any difference at all. I say, try it, specially because you can downgrade.

Iīve had all my iphones (3g, 3gs, now 4) and ipad jailbroken almost all the time, but iīm not missing that right now, and iīm determined to go through all the beta testing period withou downgrading, specially because next upgrades might come has OTA Delta upgrades (not the entire firmware will be replaced has it was usual in iOS)
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-06-20 12:42
I've been running for a few days and it is a fairly stable beta. Sadly the two main apps (Train times, NextBus) that I use for my commute no longer work, so I've bought the android equivalents for my SGS2

The notifications are certainly an improvement but what I don't like is that when you have unread notifications, there's nothing visible on the task bar to show you that, which kind of misses the point.

There's alot more config in there, though mostly for new features like iCloud, OTA upgrade, Synchronise etc.

btw, Synching while still being able to use the device is good. I'll look forward to them enabling the wifi sync.

Reminders are nice, though I was happy using the calendar or alarms, but location reminders really make this worthwhile (i.e. when you're getting old like me and go somewhere and then forget why you're there - where's Tranquil!)

still testing...
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-06-25 19:30
beta 2 is a big improvement and alot more stable. The apps that didn't work on beta 1 are once again working on beta 2 and there's more features working now too

the final product is going to be a huge update that I'm sure will make most idevice owners pretty happy.

two things dissapoint me though. tabs are only available in Safari on the iPad, not on the iPhone.

Also, the notification pull down notifications should be available on the lock screen without unlocking the phone, and there really needs to be an indicator on the top so you know there is an unread notification
fbloise
Nokia 808 PureView
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-06-29 14:02
I'm using 4.3.1 and I like they way hackers are implementing Os 5.0 features in 4.3 phones..

I'm using the camera button in the lock screen and is very handy.
"Haters are just confused Admirers" My Website
Foro.DO Facebook Group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/esato/

BBM: 2B5E52DF
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi