Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > phone to get : x10 mini / x8 ?

Author phone to get : x10 mini / x8 ?
bishshoy007
K790
PM
Posted: 2011-05-25 07:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
x10 mini has a better camera but the x8 has a higher resolution.
but no macro shots for x8, its a fixed focus camera.
then i have heard the low res on the mini limits many useful android apps. why se why?
which 1 should i get? or if theres anything else similar at this price (225 usd) which has best of both?
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-05-25 08:40
I'm very happy with my X10 Mini Pro, the Mini isn't far from it.

The X8 is a great phone, if the camera isn't that important. Another factor to consider is that by default, the X8 doesn't have a 12-key T9 keypad style input. Typing is always done via onscreen qwerty keyboard.

You may also want to wait for the new Mini and Mini Pro to come out in a couple of months if you're not in a rush. This will make the X10 Mini or X8 a lot cheaper as well if you're really set on getting one of them.
bishshoy007
K790
PM
Posted: 2011-05-25 12:49
thank you jplacson for the price drop advice. never thought about that myself.
you have the mini pro which is qvga res. so you must be getting limited apps from the market. is this reduction in number of apps significant ! like did you ever encountered apps which you wanted to download but wont support your phone?
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-05-25 13:23
Actually, not really. There are some games that I can't play well... but on a 2.5" screen, it would suck anyway even if it did play. There are just somethings you shouldn't bother installing on a small screen...period. I don't watch movies on my Mini pro, even if I could. I have my iPad for that, even on an iPhone watching movies on a tiny screen annoys the hell out of me. Music plays well, but drains battery life... I need my phone more than I need a music player, so my iPod Touch handles music. But I do have a few favorite songs on my Mini Pro just in case.

Things my little Mini Pro handles:
-Torrent management, it doesn't download the file, just the torrents, then sends it to my home server for downloading
-all emails (I respond to about 60% of all emails on my phone)
-all cloud calendars
-most of my Facebook and Twitter activity is done on my phone
-some of my blogging (ironically, Blogger doesn't have a native Android app)
-mobile tethering hotspot for my iPad, iPod Touch, and laptop.

My biggest hindrance is the Eclair (2.1) OS more than anything else. Had updated this to Gingerbread, I might not even upgrade to the new Mini Pro.

**Sorry, just a clarification... I'm NOT running Gingerbread. Still on stock Eclair for now**
[ This Message was edited by: jplacson on 2011-05-25 12:36 ]
arcmhyke
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2011-05-25 13:48
if you have plans installing custom roms, x8 will be better choice than x10mini/mini pro

as we all know all custom roms have problems with the camera its either disabled or limited to the lowest resolution, and you don't want that on your x10mini/pro.

right now im using a custom rom 2.3.4 everything works except for the camera of course, camera is limited to 320x240, and video recording is disabled, but i don't mind, im not using x8 camera

watching movies is pretty decent on 3''

playing games 2d/3d and HD games that are resized to HVGA is pretty good for x8(Assassins Creed: Altairs Chronicles, Eternal Legacy, Modern Combat: Sandstorm, No Gravity, NFS Shift, Hawx, NOVA, etc)

Prices of X8 and X10mini pro are pretty much the same. , you can get both? or you can just wait for Xperia Mini Pro
[ This Message was edited by: mhyke on 2011-05-25 12:51 ]
Phone: Sony Xperia TX LT29i
Camera: Cyber-shot DSC QX10
Speaker: SRS BTV5 Wireless Speaker
Headset: MW1 Smart Wireless Headset pro | MH EX300AP
bishshoy007
K790
PM
Posted: 2011-05-25 16:28
i was planning for rooting the phone. thanks mhyke for pointing out that rooting disables camera features. i'll keep that in mind.

@jplacson
it seems the small screen hinders much of an android experience.

now it seems i have to go for other brands as does not have anything else in this price range running even froyo. while phones like lg optimus one are already on gingerbreads and samsung galaxys are going to get one soon. i cant live without latest os patches/updates.

thanks guys please let me know if you have any other opinion.
bishshoy007
K790
PM
Posted: 2011-05-26 16:14
i think i have have finally settled on the x10 mini (until someone or something on the net changes my mind again ). its 5mp autofocus is just irresistible at sub 225usd. i will get it in a the next week. besides about the xperia mini, i have read that it would be out somewhere in the end of july in US and august for the rest of the world ! if its correct then its way too long for me to wait. anybody have any idea on this?
[ This Message was edited by: bishshoy007 on 2011-05-26 15:14 ]
fairen
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-05-26 22:37
I'm not sure about the release date for the new SE mini series but they look pretty cool to me. I really hope it's this July or else I may just as well get the Galaxy S2 factory unlocked on timtechs since I have been thinking about getting a second phone.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-05-27 05:33
Xperia Mini and Mini Pro are slated to be released late July or early Aug. I'm guessing exactly 1 year from the release of the X10 Mini and Mini Pro. I can't wait!!!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi