Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy S II discussion

123 ... 979899  Next
Author Samsung Galaxy S II discussion
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-05-06 09:41
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
due to popular demand (well... 2 people suggested it!), here's the Samsung Galaxy S II topic

Mine arrived yesterday but I had far too much to do last night so only managed to open it this morning and haven't done much since.

However, first impressions before turning it on that despite its big screen, its a very compact device, and certainly not ugly.
On putting the battery in I can see what the reviewers are saying about the tacky plastic battery cover, when off the phone it really is flimsy and not what you'd expect from such a device. But once you get it all clicked back onto the phone its perfectly fine and its textured look and feel really add to the overall beauty of the phone.

Turning on for the first time the screen is really very vibrant and would seem a good match for the iphone 4.

You go through the usual Android setup fairly quickly and then arrive at the home screen which offers a standard set of icons.

Apart from connecting up to my mifi I haven't done much else yet so will add more later, including a couple of unboxing pics and also a pic of that back cover, both on and off the phone for you to see.
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-05-06 11:21
Congrats looking forward to more info
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-05-06 11:29
Ooh mass we want pics
Phone?? What phone??
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-05-06 16:43
I have been looking forward to this a long, long time. Let us see those pictures.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-05-06 16:49
pictures coming when I get home tonight.

I've been using it on and off today and had google maps crash repetitively while it was statring and I was rotating the device from portrait to landscape.

Other than that, fairly stable so far and colleagues with androids (mostly desire/desire S) are suitably impressed by the performance and responsiveness.

Also tried the marketplace on the web and pushed an app to the device which wasn't available last time I had an android. quite smart and certainly something Apple can't do (yet).

But I can certainly see Apples displeasure with Samsung as there is quite a bit that 'feels' like iphone
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-05-06 16:51
What i'd like to know is how does this Galaxy S II compare with the SE arc?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-05-06 16:53
Oh good. But with this Galaxy S II I think it looks nothing like an iphone at all. It's way thinner has a much bigger screen & it is more box like in shape. Apple are just being silly imo. Lots of manufacturers copy each other in terms of features & many Samsung touch screen phones looked similar in design before the 3GS was out.
Phone?? What phone??
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-05-06 17:45
To me the SGS2 does not mimic the iPhone in shape as in many ways it is larger. Software wise most of the smart phones are coming closer and closer to each other and that will only continue. Apple would have to sue everyone if that holds.

Where Apple has stood out and the others are fighting to get to is basic everyday performance as is stated on reviews and instructions. When Apple makes a phone it performs to expectations.

iPad Air 16GB
andz
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-05-06 17:51
sir im jst asking if samsung i9003 galxy can installed a opera mini handler version??? what kind of opera mini does the i9003 compatible?? coz i really want to install opera mini for my i9003.. hope you can help me.. tnx in advnce sir's/maams...
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-05-06 20:04
ok, pic time

here's a couple of the box before I opened it

and the phone just taken out of the box still with stickers on

a look at whats in the box

the unlock screen

and the home screen

this is the back

here's the flimsy battery cover but you can see all the tabs and when they are all correctly pushed into place the back is nice and firm on the phone

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-05-06 20:14
Wow beautiful screen indeed. That back cover is like a thin bit of paper
Phone?? What phone??
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-05-06 23:29
I can see why some complained that the back might seem a bit flimsy.
iPad Air 16GB
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-05-06 23:34
but its only flimsy when removed. when properly fixed on the phone its rock solid

I gotta say I'm loving this device and am not missing HTC sense like I thought I would.

its rediculously light and thin and yet has a fantastic screen which is the perfect size.
I do wish/hope that iPhone 5 has a larger screen like this...

it also reminds me of the customisability that I loved in windows mobile devices, though strangely, WM7 doesnt appeal to me at all!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-05-07 00:23
I am sure the new iphone will have larger screen. Samsung are renowned for their build quality. Glad you like it as for the price its gotta please in some way.
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-05-07 01:11
curious what makes you so sure about iphone 5 screen size when the rumour-mill is 50/50 each way?
some say iphone 5 will be same dimesions but screen will be wider within the same housing. Other say it will be same dimensions and iphone 6 is planned for a larger screen.

Also curious what price you think makes a device value for money such that it must please? I certainly didn't pay anywhere near rrp but I haven't mentioned how much I did pay.

However, I'd happily pay full price for this now that I have given it some workout

my initial goal though is to make the S II do everything I do on the iphone, and the biggest challenge there is finding some way to auto download and sync my music, videos and video podcasts, not neccessarily with itunes though that would be a plus given that my content is already there.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
123 ... 979899  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic