Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > BBC Radio 5 live streaming on W595 - anyone achieved it!

Author BBC Radio 5 live streaming on W595 - anyone achieved it!
scormie
W595 Grey
PM
Posted: 2011-03-07 15:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Trying to get BBC Radio 5 live streaming on my W595 here in the UK (O2 network) via the button on this page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/listen.mp

No joy so far, however

When I click the button from within the browser, Media Player fires up, I see "Connecting to the media server" followed shortly by "Connected to the media server" - but that's it. Nothing happens thereafter.

I'm confident O2 allows audio streaming because I can achieve it with 3rd party apps such as iRadio on the same phone and network. (Sadly, iRadio doesn't provide the BBC streams as far as I can tell.)

The BBC tells me it *should* work - the W595 is supported. So, any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Cheers.
Greggy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2011-03-07 16:35
Try yourmuze.fm go to http://www.yourmuze.fm register and search and add stations then go to http://m.yourmuze.fm to play them. This is the 5 live link http://m.yourmuze.fm/listen.sdp?id=30154 if that dosnt work with your real player chuck your o2 sim in the bin and get a giffgaff sim

This message was posted from a WAP device
scormie
W595 Grey
PM
Posted: 2011-03-07 17:37
@Greggy - Thanks for that. Duly signed up but resulted in the same symptom unfortunately. Having dug around a bit more, turns out that O2-UK *does* ordinarily block audio (and video) streaming (( Somehow I'd managed to circumvent that restriction with the iRadio 3rd-party app.

So I guess I'm looking at trying an alternate SIM without such a restriction, as you suggest. My only problem is that in all other respects, O2 works for me :-s
Greggy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2011-03-07 19:01
Have you not heard of giffgaff? Its a payandgo network that runs on the o2 signal. But has NO restrictions with regards streaming. 10pound will get you unlimitd texts unlimited internet and 150xnet mins (bonus extra 100 before 31march. If u want a sim with 5 pound free when u activate. Pm me and il give u the link

scormie
W595 Grey
PM
Posted: 2011-03-07 19:10
I haven't m8 - but then again I've not been looking!

Will give it a whirl, anyway, if it works off the O2 network (I live in a valley where O2's is the only useable signal, see). And that pricing certainly looks good!

Have now got the link, thanks, via Google.

Will report back once I'm up and running. Cheers again!
Greggy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2011-03-07 20:07
Do u get a gud 3g signal and good speed? Btw you wont get the 5 pound free if you order direct from the site. You have to use a members refer link

scormie
W595 Grey
PM
Posted: 2011-03-07 20:41
Cheers mate - all done

Yeah, the 3G signals pretty strong, fortunately. It's weird because all the other networks have a really poor presence in the area (although Voda isn't *too* bad)....
scormie
W595 Grey
PM
Posted: 2011-03-11 19:46
giffgaff SIM now up and running. (Pleased to find it works in an O2-locked phone, but perhaps that's as expected?)

And whatdyaknow ...

Streaming Radio 5 direct from the BBC - loud and clear!

My listed stations on yourmuze.fm - loud and clear!!

And SO much cheaper than O2 overall.

So greggy, heaps of kudos to you for the heads-up - can't believe I hadn't heard of it before! Many thanks....

sony2zheni
W610 Orange
PM
Posted: 2011-04-08 10:37
Cool... How bout k800?
sony2zheni
W610 Orange
PM
Posted: 2011-04-08 10:42
Quote:

On 2011-03-07 15:34:18, scormie wrote:
Trying to get BBC Radio 5 live streaming on my W595 here in the UK (O2 network) via the button on this page:\\r\\n\\r\\nhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/listen.mp\\r\\n\\r\\nNo joy so far, however \\r\\n\\r\\nWhen I click the button from within the browser, Media Player fires up, I see \\"Connecting to the media server\\" followed shortly by \\"Connected to the media server\\" - but that\\'s it. Nothing happens thereafter.\\r\\n\\r\\nI\\'m confident O2 allows audio streaming because I can achieve it with 3rd party apps such as iRadio on the same phone and network. (Sadly, iRadio doesn\\'t provide the BBC streams as far as I can tell.)\\r\\n\\r\\nThe BBC tells me it *should* work - the W595 is supported. So, any ideas where I\\'m going wrong?\\r\\n\\r\\nCheers.

same here with my k800. It says 'conncted to media server' but nothing happens.
scormie
W595 Grey
PM
Posted: 2011-04-08 11:18

On 2011-04-08 10:42:00, sony2zheni wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-03-07 15:34:18, scormie wrote:

Trying to get BBC Radio 5 live streaming on my W595 here in the UK (O2 network) via the button on this page:\r\n\r\nhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/listen.mp\r\n\r\nNo joy so far, however \r\n\r\nWhen I click the button from within the browser, Media Player fires up, I see "Connecting to the media server" followed shortly by "Connected to the media server" - but that's it. Nothing happens thereafter.\r\n\r\nI'm confident O2 allows audio streaming because I can achieve it with 3rd party apps such as iRadio on the same phone and network. (Sadly, iRadio doesn't provide the BBC streams as far as I can tell.)\r\n\r\nThe BBC tells me it *should* work - the W595 is supported. So, any ideas where I'm going wrong?\r\n\r\nCheers.

same here with my k800. It says 'conncted to media server' but nothing happens.

Couple of things to check. If your K800 is like my W595, there's a separate setting under 'Connectivity' for streaming. Mine has 'Internet settings' and 'Streaming settings' options. Make sure that you've got the right network selected under for streaming.

Secondly, make sure that your phone is set up to use a 3G service. On the W595, this is set under Connectivity / Mobile networks.

Finally, if you've still no joy at this point, confirm with your network that they do in fact permit streaming - not all do, as I've found to my cost with O2-UK pre-pay
[ This Message was edited by: scormie on 2011-04-08 10:20 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi