Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Rest in peace, Symbian

Author Rest in peace, Symbian
boy.in.PINK
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-02-11 18:57
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/rip-symbian/

We all know that Nokia, thanks to it's newly appointed CEO, had a strategic partnership with Microsoft which was announced earlier. Part of that announcement is making Windows Phone 7 as Nokia's primary operating system in focus. It was announced that in line of the changes in strategies, Symbian will be a "franchise OS". But apparently, according to the slides Engadget posted, WP7 phones will wholly consumed Symbian based phones by [apparently] 2012.

Follow up report:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/nokia-workers-mourn-death-of-symbian-thousands-walk-out/
"Tell me what you have and I'll tell you who you are."
K700>G502>N82>GT-S5360>U20i>Innos D9
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-02-11 19:15
Good riddance to a slow, buggy, antiquated OS which in most cases requires endless bug-fixing updates. It should have been a 'thing of the past' years ago.

Onwards and upwards.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2011-02-16 11:48
Symbian died for me when SE let UIQ die
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-02-16 12:16

On 2011-02-16 11:48:47, ares wrote:
Symbian died for me when SE let UIQ die

Yes, you and me both have always agreed on this. If Nokia wasn't arrogant they could've saved Symbian by using UIQ as their main touch interface and just ported some elements of S60 into UIQ.

The UIQ labs' last beta version of the interface was simply brilliant! That was what was supposed to replace UIQ 3 and it could've made life complicated for the likes of iOS and Android.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-02-16 13:13
+1

UIQ was a great loss. It was exactly the right time for UIQ too. I remember the mock touch UI that was featured on the site and it was pure wizardry.

Now we have one less OS that could have been something wonderful.
strizlow800
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2011-02-16 15:26

On 2011-02-16 13:13:46, goldenface wrote:
+1

UIQ was a great loss. It was exactly the right time for UIQ too. I remember the mock touch UI that was featured on the site and it was pure wizardry.

Now we have one less OS that could have been something wonderful.

I agree with this... Symbian UIQ was good. I never liked the other Symbian versions, but it's strange such operating system to end after years of experience. It had also many developers making software for the System.

But Android rules now
Sony Ericsson software/hardware support!

Phone Flashing Tutorial (DB2020 CID49/51/52)
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-02-16 15:43
Ah, but there might just be a Plan B here.
boy.in.PINK
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-02-16 16:39
Yes! UIQ rocks! I loved it when I tried the W960i a few months back. The UI is simply amazing than what we got on S60. But UIQ died because of Nokia's selfish ambitions. Then that happened. They have to drop Symbian.

On 2011-02-16 15:43:54, goldenface wrote:
Ah, but there might just be a Plan B here.

The original plan is that Symbian will be supported till 2012 then they'll drop. Looks like Plan B makes Symbian having the same fate. It's just getting longer before they truly kill it and they will not have WP7. Whatever plan goes, Symbian's fate have been already set.

And BTW, the Symbian freaks are having a war out there, especially against Elop. They don't accept that Symbian's days are been numbered.
"Tell me what you have and I'll tell you who you are."
K700>G502>N82>GT-S5360>U20i>Innos D9
lelando
Zylo Silver
PM
Posted: 2011-03-09 16:13
Agreed symbian also died for me when UIQ died dam I miss my p800 now with its built in IR port. Sounds stupid right but I miss the days when I couldcontroll my tellevision with my mobile phone using Psiloc ir remote damm I used to pull pranks on people everywhere even i the mall when people were watching rugby just before the player would score a touchdown I would change the channel geez it was hilarious.
owner and webmaster of:
fishyads.co.za classified ads site
datetail.com online dating site
leenaRay
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-03-22 14:22
nokia will be making windows phone from now on
raplunatic
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-03-22 20:07
i cant wait for the phones
We are captives of our own identities living in prisons of our own creation
Jkovacz
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-03-22 20:37
wow, since I last visited ESATO suffers from rumour-flu? Symbian is not dead... the financial report they submitted 'implies' more handsets at LEAST until 2013. And as to obsolete - it seems to me these days nothing becomes faster obsolete than a version of Android. All the "ooh I want 2.1...oh wait, I want 2.2...oh, duh, when will I get 2.3...aaaaaaargh"... Well, there... #biteME
exaflare23
Nokia Lumia 510
PM
Posted: 2011-03-29 13:17

On 2011-02-16 16:39:55, boy.in.PINK wrote:
Yes! UIQ rocks! I loved it when I tried the W960i a few months back. The UI is simply amazing than what we got on S60. But UIQ died because of Nokia's selfish ambitions. Then that happened

i dont get it why blaming nokia for the death of UIQ, its SE whos reponsible for that, because SE is poor compare to other manufacturer they cant developed the UIQ or create a new OS.
"You don't need a reason to help people"
-Nokia N82 5.0MP Carl Zeiss Optics
-My|Phone A878 Duo
My C901 Shots flickr
epdm
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2011-04-18 22:57

On 2011-03-22 14:22:21, leenaRay wrote:
nokia will be making windows phone from now on

No they won't. They haven't even got working prototypes.
Ppl forget that Nokia made "plans" (and there's something about a "strategic partnership" whatever that means) to replace or at least co-excist WP7 next to Symbian. There WILL be updates as Symbian^4 is still on the roadmap although not as S^4. This means that all current S^3 phones will get updates at least upto 2012. Which isn't bad IMHO. Most other phones (e.g. Samsung or HTC) last only one generation and hardly get any upgrades. I once had a Samsung SGH-i900 Omnia. A suposedly popular model yet Samsung NEVER released any updates for that model (though technically it was able to run WM6.5 instead of the supplied WM6.1). They just forced the less capable Omnia II upon us. In fact SE is playing also ping-pong with its own models. I mean what's with the SE X10, a year old released with an outdated OS and remember the hassle whether 2.1 would be released for it (the same with Froyo).

Anyway ppl also forget that sometimes ppl use Nokia's for other reasons then fanboism. I currently use a C7 because these Nokia's are the only smartphones that are capable to record phonecalls. Sure SE (and also Nokia) featurephones (of which I enjoyed many) can also achieve this. But there's currently no Android smartphone capable of doing that. Except for the ZTE Blade/Orange San francisco, which isn't available in my country. My former Samsung Omnia was able to record phonecalls while it's successor couldn't, and none of the current new WP7 phones can do it either.

The last None-symbian smartphone that I owned an Acer Neotouch S200 (snapdragon cpu, WVGA screen and all the bells and whistles) was able to record calls too (but only on the phone not when routed to a bluetooth headset). Unfortunatly that WM6.5 device broke down fairly recently. So in my case, I simply HAVE no choice. I tried recording calls one a friends N8 (and i loved it). It can even record calls when over bluetooth headset/handsfree. I tried a Wave II from another friend who can't record calls either.

What will happen after 2012. I'll guess I just scavenge another Nokia S^3 device since they're the last breed of smartphones capable of this.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-04-18 23:40
-X10 will be recieving 2.3 Gingerbread end of this quater.

-Plenty of Call Recording Apps in Android Market.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11†2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi