Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Samsung aims to overtake Nokia within three years

Author Samsung aims to overtake Nokia within three years
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-12-30 20:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Samsung are aiming for the first place as a mobile phone manufacture within three years pushing Nokia away from the throne
Esato News

Samsung must be doing something right at the moment. The Samsung Galaxy S smartphone is selling very well and the release of the twin model and first Android 2.3 device Nexus S adds even more awareness to the brand.

Samsung Electronics will ship around 270 million phones during 2010. 199.5 million units during the first three quarters and 71.4 million during the 3rd quarter alone. Compare this to Nokias sales figures of 110.4 million units in 3rd quarter and you will see that Samsung are gaining into the leader in terms of sold units. According to Nokia, the total mobile device volumes are expected to increase with more than 10% in 2010 compared to 2009. Samsung had an increase of sold units of 19% in third quarter while Nokia only increased sales with 2%.

Samsung are making CPUs, LCD displays, memory and other mobile phone components inhouse which is an advantage compared to other brands. It is reasonable to believe that Samsung Mobile will have first priority over Nokia if they for example both want to buy 10 million AMOLED displays from Samsung Semiconductor.

Samsung Mobile LogoSmartphones and other premium products counts for more than half of Samsungs production targets while Nokia's converged mobile devices (smartphones and mobile computers) sales volume are 23% of total.

Samung have three manufacturing lines in China and one in Vietnam. Samsung expects it sales in the two emerging market to increase in 2011. They are expecting to increase sales volume with 20% up to 325 million units. In three years Samsung expects to have passed Nokia as the leader of mobile phone manufacture. That might happen, but Samsung does not reveal if they have calculated a significant drop in Nokia's volumes in the next three years.

Source Korea Times, Nokia, Samsung

skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2010-12-30 20:38
Unless Nokia seriously brings Symbian on par with Android or Apples OS or they get rid of Symbian and bring on something new that competes with both platforms Samsung will definitely surpass them in a few years.

Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2010-12-30 21:00
Would be a nice change to have a different No 1
Nokia have been at the top forever.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-12-31 02:07
It'll never happen. Nokia has such a loyal fan base and they are in the middle of a turn around. They'll halt the decline within a couple of years IMO.
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2010-12-31 02:41

On 2010-12-31 02:07:25, goldenface wrote:
It'll never happen. Nokia has such a loyal fan base and they are in the middle of a turn around. They'll halt the decline within a couple of years IMO.

Well, they are trying to turn things around and hopefully they get it done but Samsung is catching them up pretty quickly. Symbian is killing them.

What do you think, should they go with Android or at least have some Android based phones?
iPad Air 16GB
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-12-31 02:50
While doing research for this article, I found a blog trying to explain why the iPhone didn't succeed in India. I though it was interesting to read the blog because it pointed out a couple of unkown facts for me. And there are a lot of people living in India. A small precentage of user behaviour swith (a.k.a changing favourite brand) will affect financial figures for any manufacture. The same thing could be said about the Chinese market or any other huge country.

From the blog: Consumers in India do not necessarily buy phones and other gadgets for functional reasons. The social value and status symbol associated with a device takes precedence in many cases. I don't know if this is true, but it could be

For my own experience I can tell you that Sony Ericsson is selling very well in the Nordic countries. Is this because the phones are supperiour other brands? I do not think so. Most people are influenced by their friends and family. If everyone you know has a Sony Ericsson you are more likely to buy one as well.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-12-31 13:28
I think if Nokia can make it's UI smooth and swish enough to rival the likes of Apple and Android then there is nothing really stopping them from holding on to the first place.

Both Nokia and Sony Ericsson have been caught sleeping by the Apple and the Korean giants but Sony Ericsson will see it's turn around completed in 2011 whilst Nokia will take a bit longer.

Samsung is a Goliath and I don't think Sony Ericsson will ever be able to compete with such a behemoth but Nokia, on the other hand, has no choice but to put a fight, which I think it is more than able to do.
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2010-12-31 12:29 ]
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-12-31 13:42
In the Phil, mobile phones are more status symbols.

iPhone being on top, then BlackBerry, then Nokia. Androids are still viewed as the "geek phone" here. And is almost at the bottom of the branded phone food-chain. Although the X10 family has helped them a lot here.

When they were still , they were viewed as the 'business man' phone. merger made them very niche here. Thankfully still has strong presence here since they provide a lot of the infrastructure... so support is very strong.

I'm hoping that starts ditching all these other phones that fragment their market and just concentrate on beefing up their Xperia line.

A complete Android lineup... maybe 4-5 models for all budgets would seriously push their name out there. An entry level Elm/Hazel style Android... then the nextX8, X10 and X10 Mini/MP.

By unifying the OS, they'll waste less resources updating different models... and more updates and features can be deployed across their portfolio!
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2010-12-31 18:22
BB is dead within two years or it will diminish to number four and become a niche thing that only business men and women will use.

In the next few years the top manufacturers will be Android branded, IOS, an improved Symbian (maybe) and BB.
iPad Air 16GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi