Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > HTC > I am thinking of swapping my X10 for a Desire HD. Pros and cons please

1234  Next
Author I am thinking of swapping my X10 for a Desire HD. Pros and cons please
rarebreed
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2010-12-12 20:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Was: htc desire hd
Hi all!! This my first post here, so be gentle:-) . At present, I own a SE Xperia X10i. But was thinking I might change to the htc desire hd. Android version. Are there any pros and cons that you might be able to advise me of to help with making a decision. As im you can appreciate, I dont wanna buy a new phone and be seriously disappointed afterwards. Any good advice would be appreciated. Thanx.
[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2011-01-14 19:24 ]
Toney_Ericsson
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-01-07 09:51
I have an X10 and a Desire HD and I am very happy with it. The Desire HD is much better than the X10 in many ways in my opinion, one thing that strikes me the most is how much better the camera and video is with the Desire HD, the DHD has better functions and captures shots the X10 just wouldn't be able to, absolutely excellent photo and video features!. Also I love the already loaded maps, points you in the direction your facing no need to use data to look at maps. I love the solid feel of the DHD the X10 is just cheap plastic crap and knowing the DHD will get Gingerbread is a big plus. Also many other things like full flash support, more responsive than the X10 screen wise and just a joy to use.

Don't be put off by reviews of poor battery life, all these smart phones are the exact same with battery eating and the DHD is no different than the X10 with battery. Sony Ericsson has gone down the pan these days I feel and as a phone manufacturer SE just bring out low/mid range phones at best compared to the competition.

I have only wrote this quickly as I'm busy, the DHD is well worth it and definitely one of the best handsets out at this moment.
"OPEN SOURCE REQUIRES OPEN PEOPLE" Sent from my Quietly Brilliant HTC.
io_bg
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2011-01-11 22:48
Overall DHD is better but, IMO, X10 has a better design and a better camera. I've seen pictures of both phones and X10 ones' are much better. And it also is capable of recording HD videos with continuous autofocus
Toney_Ericsson
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-01-12 02:27
You can auto focus with the DHD also, either auto focuses or you can tap anywhere on the screen with photos or video. X10 can't take the same night time photos or video, theres a dual LED flash which you can put permanently on even with video. Awesome features with photos. Theres another feature I like with the DHD you can take automatic portraits either single or with other people.

Video of it below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AsZd4sEC2Y

The Desire HD is much better, excellent build quality too. My X10 is back in it's box and staying there the DHD makes more sense

Remordere
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-01-14 07:40
The only downside I can think of is the battery. It can last you about a day when you tick USB debugging and turn off other features and widgets and the camera isn't good light, but other than that. the best smart phone IMO.
Toney_Ericsson
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-01-14 15:48
Can always adjust screen brightness to increase battery performance and there is that option to kill pretty much everything and other things like Auto Memory Killer once you root the DHD. I'm getting more out of the DHD than the X10. The camera is as good as the photographer, theres a massive thread on xda forum showing what sort of results can be achieved within the settings adjusting ISO and automatic etc also good macro photos can be achieved I have found by zooming in and then using automatic capture.

Another good thing the Desire HD has to be the quickest phone booting up, it has a quick boot system absolutely leaves phones like the iphone 4 trailing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_XHL5CB_7w
[ This Message was edited by: Toney_Ericsson on 2011-01-14 14:52 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-01-14 17:38
The Desire HD camera is much better than x10 camera. It also has virtually no shutter lag. I have had both and can easily say that the x10 camera is crap.
Phone?? What phone??
Toney_Ericsson
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-01-14 18:18
I've got a really good case for my HTC Desire HD this one here the Case-mate HTC Desire HD Black / Black Tough Case. Its a dual case, a silicone skin on the inside with a hard one on the outside, really good grip.

http://www.case-mate.eu.com/h[....]hd-black-black-tough-case.html

I am also looking to get this one the Case-mate HTC Desire HD Black / Grey Pop Case, it looks really good

http://www.case-mate.eu.com/h[....]re-hd-black-grey-pop-case.html

volvoman
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-01-17 00:01
Battery is not an issue with the DHD, Mine has been off charge since 8am, it is now 10:55pm and I have 82% left, X10 would never do that, mine has been in a draw since I got my first Desire, now I just use my Desire and DHD not used an SE phone for months.

DHD is way better than the X10 could ever be, video and camera are excellent, so many things to list that are way better than the X10, as for design, well IMO all htc phones are better designed and built than any SE current phone.

And more important is, with an htc you will get updates far quicker than any SE android phone.

Lest face facts, SE have only just updated to 2.1, when most now are looking to 2.3/2.4, maybe SE will get round to this sometime next year.
C702i x 2, T650i, K850i, W850i, K810i, K800i, tomtom GO 910, Brodit proclips.

Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2011-01-17 00:27
HTCs have really shoddy battery life even my Wildfire did after update 2.2.1
it used to last quite awhile before that update though

rumours is HTC are all the same in terms of iffy battery,
the HD is a nicephone I also wanted it to, but I think if you wait then you will find that
newer better HTCs are due to come over the nexts few months ones with much faster processors
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Toney_Ericsson
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-01-17 18:44
Have a look at what's eating your battery your probably updating the weather every 2 seconds. Have a good look at syncing, email checking and everything else that consumes battery.

Powerbar widget to switch off WiFi, GPS, BT, Syncing when not needed. I use Apndroid also was using that before on X10.

There are apps to tell if there's anything else eating battery like system info and just change it accordingly, nothing wrong with my DHD battery. Some people on xda are getting 59 hours on a single charge, could even get more if they don't switch the phone on

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-01-17 19:19

On 2011-01-17 00:27:06, Miss UK wrote:
HTCs have really shoddy battery life even my Wildfire did after update 2.2.1
it used to last quite awhile before that update though

rumours is HTC are all the same in terms of iffy battery,
the HD is a nicephone I also wanted it to, but I think if you wait then you will find that
newer better HTCs are due to come over the nexts few months ones with much faster processors

Most Android phones have poor battery life
Phone?? What phone??
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2011-01-17 22:47
X10 is pretty good better then my EX-HTC lol
Toney_Ericsson
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-01-17 23:09

On 2011-01-17 22:47:48, Miss UK wrote:
X10 is pretty good better then my EX-HTC lol

You said you had a wildfire which isn't in the same league as the Desire let alone a HTC Desire HD.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2011-01-17 23:20
Yepp but the other hald has the desire,
the wildfire is basically the same minus the screen try one out
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi