Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > The All New Sony Ericsson Portfolio for 2011

Previous  123 ... 294295296 ... 362363364  Next
Author The All New Sony Ericsson Portfolio for 2011
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-14 05:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
At 6-7mm I'd bet the casing would be sealed with fixed battery and possibly fixed memory to save space and enable the thing to exist. Battery covers, battery connectors/casing are space wasters. SE with or without Ericsson should move this way sooner rather than later.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-10-14 07:36

On 2011-10-14 02:20:29, FMW300i wrote:
Though it looks nothing like design, I'm all for new/different styling, as I think the 2 designs recycled over and over for 2011 was starting to get a little boring: Arc/Neo/Pro/Play & Ray/Mini/Mini Pro/Live/Mix/Txt. [Active looks like Samsung or LG designed it.]
Anyway, I'm sure this 'W23' will look great in official pics....

Once again, I agree with you! As great looking as the 2011 portfolio is it was starting to get really tired. They need a refresh and a new design language that will stand out from the 2011 portfolio. In fact, the design language of this year is a carry over from the 2010 one, the arc is an X10 given a make over.
[ This Message was edited by: Dups! on 2011-10-14 06:38 ]
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-10-14 08:03

On 2011-10-14 07:36:24, Dups! wrote:

Once again, I agree with you! As great looking as the 2011 portfolio is it was starting to get really tired. They need a refresh and a new design language that will stand out from the 2011 portfolio. In fact, the design language of this year is a carry over from the 2010 one, the arc is an X10 given a make over.
[ This Message was edited by: Dups! on 2011-10-14 06:38 ]

Well, no, they had two design languages this year; the H1 phones were evolved from the X10 while the H2 phones had a new language. Honestly, I think it works out fine for SE if they do it this way, especially since, this year and last year, the H1 phones were large size and the H2 phones were basically shrunken versions of the H1 phone(s). So then we'd get shrunken packaging between H1 and H2 and then refined styling between H2 and the next H1.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-10-14 08:34
Actually, you are right! There are two design languages for this year.

I like the Ray's style better along with the minis. I would love to see something completely different for next year though.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-14 09:55

On 2011-10-13 18:46:35, goldenface wrote:
That is not just thin, it's emaciated. If the current rumours are to be believed 2012 is shaping up to be quite interesting already.

6-7mm sounds impossibly thin - look at how thin a 3.5mm jack is.

maybe its time to drop 3.5mm audio jack and bundle every phone with a stereo BT headset for free.

of course it is still possible to put a 3.5mm in. let see how it goes.
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2011-10-14 10:10
Yay, they made a profit!
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-10-14 10:18

On 2011-10-14 10:10:11, NightBlade wrote:
Yay, they made a profit!

Not really.

I guess any improvement compared to the last report is good. Not bad.

On to the next two quarters, I hope they do make a profit by then.

I
f they managed to move from 7.6 million phones to 9.5 million I suppose they can easily get to 12 million by the next quarter.

I am glad there is positive movement forward instead of going backwards.
[ This Message was edited by: Dups! on 2011-10-14 09:24 ]
stais
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-10-14 10:32

On 2011-10-14 10:18:21, Dups! wrote:

Not really.

I guess any improvement compared to the last report is good. Not bad.

On to the next two quarters, I hope they do make a profit by then.

I
f they managed to move from 7.6 million phones to 9.5 million I suppose they can easily get to 12 million by the next quarter.

I am glad there is positive movement forward instead of going backwards.
[ This Message was edited by: Dups! on 2011-10-14 09:24 ]

Yeah, that's a 25% increase in number of shipped units from Q2. Several phones were also not availible for most of Q3 so Q4 numbers are really going to be interesting (hehe, don't we say that every quarter?). Now I'm just hoping for an ICS announcement sometime shortly after the Google/Samsung event next Wednesday.
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2011-10-14 11:25
Well hopefully we can put the split rumors to rest now when the report is out. Analysts thought they would announce it today together with the report.

Safe for now
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-14 12:25
"Bert Nordberg (president and CEO of Sony Ericsson) said that they will
be shifting their entire portfolio towards smartphones in 2012. He didn’ t specify an
OS"

sounds to me like a company with a plan, not one that is about to part ways...

still hopeful this it's just a meaningless rumour
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-10-14 12:53

On 2011-10-14 12:25:17, adsada wrote:
"Bert Nordberg (president and CEO of Sony Ericsson) said that they will
be shifting their entire portfolio towards smartphones in 2012. He didn’ t specify an
OS"

sounds to me like a company with a plan, not one that is about to part ways...

still hopeful this it's just a meaningless rumour

Now, I am not saying that the statement means that Ericsson is selling its stake to Sony or not but you don't jump the gun and pronounce to the world anything about ongoing negotiations. Clearly, they had no intention to discuss the rumour which may mean anything at this stage. Maybe there is a rumour and maybe there isn't but my concern is that if there wasn't one they would've come out and said unequivocally that there is no truth to the rumour of a Sony buyout.

Saying that they are shifting to smartphones only as from next year could also mean that the strategy from Sony Mobile (after the buyout) is to concentrate strictly on smartphones. Remember, Bert has inside info and he did even say, late last year, that SE will be moving closer to Sony this year and they did with a lot of Sony-centric phones.

Why aren't they addressing the rumour if it is not true? I know I would want to allay my employees' fears as well as the involved stakeholders not forgetting that this creates a lot of confusion to consumers. Something is brewing here.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-14 13:04
Yeah I agree that's a fair point, on the other hand it seems strange that it has been over a week and nothing has slipped yet since the first tip off was made (nothing was even mentioned at the Q3 results) and like others have said many people within Ericsson haven't heard anything.

I'm merely trying to take something and take the positives out of it obviously this has been their plan for a while now (the eventual shift to smartphones) I just really don't want the brand to disappear.
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-10-14 13:28
I understand what you are saying. I would also love for SE to stick around, I love the brand and they have been doing most of the right things since last year.

Hopefully they will clarify this sooner rather than later.
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2011-10-14 14:33
One analyst pointed out, can Sony even afford to buy SE now? Around 1billion euro is pretty much for a company with no profit.

I hope Sony just thinks its cheaper to leave it as it is and invest more time in it instead.
[ This Message was edited by: motvikt on 2011-10-14 13:34 ]
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-14 15:57
I think whether the rumour is true or not SE don't have to address it as an issue. They aren't on the stock market and don't have shareholders to maintain so the danger there is non-existent. They should consider the handset buyers response to such news, but let's face it, there aren't that many in the general public who know, care or have heard about the possibility (we in the forums are the informed ones). I bet if you questioned 100 people in a mobile phone shop today, 5/100 might have heard the rumour and maybe 1 will care. So they can ignore the rumour completely.

Sony on the other hand might want to consider making a statement as it's emerged their shares are falling from the 'news' of a proposed buyout. Their representatives in Japan and London are actively declining to comment on the matter. This could be that it is a complete rumour and they haven't decided how to play the media or it could be a smoking gun.

Sony can afford to buy Ericsson. They're royalty in Japan and even their government will lend them money if they really need to. The question is, is it wise for Sony to do it. It will place financial burden on them and may restrict other parts of their company, but bringing all of the r&d in-house and spreading marketing costs a little thinner from other departments instead of pumping money into a flailing SE might pay for itself, in savings and a unified range of products and solutions.

I think the value of the purchase will decide whether it goes through or not (the same as with any deal anywhere in the world). If Sony value the next 5 year potential handset/tablet market as more than the touted €1.25bn then we have a goer.

Personally I can see in 5-10 years that everyone under the age of 45 will access the internet and communicate almost totally through a mobile device of some description (tablet or smartphone), only using PCs for/at work, more than that they will use that device to stream youtube or movies from the internet to the tv and use it to power their TV as computers. If Sony can get even 10% of that global market then €1.25bn is a steal.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 294295296 ... 362363364  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic