Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > The All New Sony Ericsson Portfolio for 2011

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 287288289 ... 362363364  Next
Author The All New Sony Ericsson Portfolio for 2011
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 21:00
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2011-10-06 20:14:12, Bonovox wrote:
Past 2 days I have kept trying the Sony Ericsson shop website but it always seems down Hope that's not a sign

The original shop closed, and you how purchase stuff directly from the main SE website

On 2011-10-06 20:18:49, Dups! wrote:

@adsada

Who exactly are those 'majority of the people' who don't know Ericsson? Ericsson was the successful cellphone manufacturer between the two parents and was clearly better known as a cellphone company than Sony the cellphone manufacturer.

Maybe, but sony is one of the main electronic companies it's name is known all over the world and is extremely well known, find me someone who doesn't know about sony. Ericsson compared obviously doesn't come close, and so when people hear sony ericsson, they know sony so they presume its sony. try googling 'is ericsson' the result that pops down as a suggestion search is 'is ericsson part of sony' and try 'is sony' and you get 'is sony ericsson part of sony'. Then of course sony ericsson are using all the brands of sony to sell their phones, walkman, cyber-shot, bravia, exmor-r etc. which further would make people presume its only sony. Okay ericsson stuff is used too, but that is much more behind the scenes and isn't used in advertising etc.

My point, if you ask someone about sony ericsson so many people who don't follow technology wouldn't think twice. Look at the SE facebook page the comments section is always full of 'i love sony' 'sony is best'

A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 21:17
Patents prey? I'm afraid.

Both have very good technology but unable to combined them together, iSad will continue without the end of tunnel in both tragic if this rumour become true!

Generally recognized as Sony standalone in this JV things but I don't think it will be going well if Sony buy out happen.

Samsung already overtaken most of Asian markets as well as HTC dominating American market and both doing well in penetrating to European market.

Sony still need Ericsson to defense it last fan-based (and know how & patents) in Europe which is reasonable strong.

Haven't count Apple iPhone which is flying high. Both firms need to combined their business together to stay in this business or both out!
[ This Message was edited by: HxH on 2011-10-06 20:32 ]
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 21:30
@Adsada,

You said people search the net for is ericsson part of sony, or does sony ericsson belong to sony, its true they do search that alot, and thankfully they do, so after asking that question they do come to know that its a diffrent company. SO that in itself give sony ericsson its own recognition.

Also its pretty common for people to shorten a company to its first name, for example johnson & johnson, people call it only johnson, does it mean they like first johnson and not the second one ?

I think the market sales and success of tablet S and tablet P(or was it s2) will decide if sony can be successful on their own as a phone company because thats the closest they have done to compete against other phone manufacturers..
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 22:00
Bringing the mobile development in-house is probably a very good move for Sony.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 22:21

On 2011-10-06 21:30:28, djin wrote:
@Adsada,

You said people search the net for is ericsson part of sony, or does sony ericsson belong to sony, its true they do search that alot, and thankfully they do, so after asking that question they do come to know that its a diffrent company. SO that in itself give sony ericsson its own recognition.

Also its pretty common for people to shorten a company to its first name, for example johnson & johnson, people call it only johnson, does it mean they like first johnson and not the second one ?

I think the market sales and success of tablet S and tablet P(or was it s2) will decide if sony can be successful on their own as a phone company because thats the closest they have done to compete against other phone manufacturers..

Yes but my point is that only the people who bother to research it (google it) will discover they are 2 seperate companies, the majority of people wouldn't bother to check my point about google was only to show that that is the kind of thing people wonder, and so they do not know.
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 22:24
In the ongoing patent war Sony will need Ericsson. They have all the phone related patents. And Im not so sure Sony can manage a phone company alone. They couldn't before when they were a lot stronger, why should they be able now when all their businesses are going down the drain. Used to always buy vaio, now Im looking at the new ultrabooks, no vaio is even interesting, to pricey for what you get. Same with bravia, samsung cost less, is better looking, equal or better screen quality and you can just connect an external hdd and watch 1080p from it, supports every format available. Sonys tablets maybe are cool, well no one is gonna buy them anyway when they can get a samsung tablet with better specs for less money. Soon Asus transformer will come out with tegra3, probably cheaper than sonys.

Sony has zero innovation these days. God damn, sure hope there is no truth in this. Seriously Im going back to iphone if it happens.

edit. Just read it also involves buying the patents. Ah well..
[ This Message was edited by: motvikt on 2011-10-06 21:26 ]
Ravager
T610
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 22:31
They are all copying Apple, and that's the problem. (Spare your words and do not start a debate on that)
Think new, think big! What's the next thing?
We need a product that would make the iPhone 4S look old, really old. Just like the iPhone did to my W960 back in the days.
Please, anyone, THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!
[ This Message was edited by: Ravager on 2011-10-06 21:32 ]
Ravager
The tiny rabbit from outer space
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 22:49
Patents patents patents. When will it end?!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 22:56
Everyone's copying Apple?? Eh?? Voice control & video calling were invented by Apple ya know
Phone?? What phone??
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 22:58
Hmm SE is strong in north europe and japan. If Sony buys out Ericsson they will loose ground in Europe. No one in Sweden will buy a all Sony phone
nikos_se
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 23:13
If the buyout is going to happen,three things are possible.

1.Sony keeps semi-indepedent(like Sony Computer Entertainment,Sony Music,Sony Pictures),renaming it to Sony Mobile or something and giving it a new logo,but merges R&D and distribution channels,with its own.

2.Sony completely absorbs ,moving it to Japan,and creates a xperia team,like they have the vaio team,the bravia team,etc.

3.Sony keeps as it is,but renames it to Sony Mobile and gives it a new logo,and more HW and SW support.

I believe that if the buyout does happen,scenario 1 and 3 are the most ideal,cause wont lose its european spirit.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 23:22

On 2011-10-06 23:13:44, nikos_se wrote:
If the buyout is going to happen,three things are possible.

1.Sony keeps semi-indepedent(like Sony Computer Entertainment,Sony Music,Sony Pictures),renaming it to Sony Mobile or something and giving it a new logo,but merges R&D and distribution channels,with its own.

2.Sony completely absorbs ,moving it to Japan,and creates a xperia team,like they have the vaio team,the bravia team,etc.

3.Sony keeps as it is,but renames it to Sony Mobile and gives it a new logo,and more HW and SW support.

I believe that if the buyout does happen,scenario 1 and 3 are the most ideal,cause wont lose its european spirit.

the forth option is that sony keeps the brand sony ericsson as nothing more the a legacy. I think this brand is far too strong and well known just to kill it off.
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 23:27
If Sony are paying 1billion+ euros, they're going to want to get rid of the Ericsson part of the name and make sure consumers know exactly where its coming from

edit: and companies often rebrand products and consumers get used to it. netflix are currently doing exactly that in the states right now. Sure, there's the usual complaints etc but people will get used to it
[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2011-10-06 22:29 ]
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 23:33
Good comment on engadget.

"What a lot of American-biased tosh. SE always has always been one of the "alpha dogs" over the years. The USA is not the world. SE brought (superior ) European thinking to the mobile world.

I also think this is a bad move for SE fans. Most of the decent stuff IMO has came from the Ericsson side. The company would do better if BOTH parties saw the bigger picture and invested more in it. Sony just has not been pulling it's weight and should be putting more efforts to make SE a bigger part of its overall strategy.

Actually, I think given their current cash status, Ericsson would be better suited to buy out SE! (The JV was created in the first place because Ericsson was almost bankrupted by Philips chip supply issues and needed the cash from Sony - now we have the opposite where Sony is losing billions and Ericsson is sitting on a massive cash pile!).

IMO Sony buying it out will ruin the company. It will destroy the European-driven mindset which made SE unique and will replace it with an inefficient Japan/US behemoth such as Sony with a culture dominated by Japanese isolationist eccentricity which has no understanding of users and combine that with US-based sheer-greed, incompetency and inefficiency and complete lack of style. There is a reason why Sony are losing billions and there is no need to inflict that fate on a joint-venture that is currently superior to Sony itself. "

Remember it was the Ericsson part who made unlocking bootloaders possible, Sony would never allow that
Legen
W960
PM
Posted: 2011-10-07 01:15
A sony buy-out would be a good thing. Maybe we would see the return of cybershot and walkman, even more playstation integration(microsoft just added xbox control to their phones).
The catch is that they may stop producing low and mid range phones and focus on high end sony being SONY(ceo guy did mention that is the direction they hope to go)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 287288289 ... 362363364  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic