Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia reaffirms commitment to Symbian platform

Author Nokia reaffirms commitment to Symbian platform
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-08 21:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
As Symbian Foundation announces changes, a new era of Symbian development and innovation begins

Espoo, Finland - Following an announcement by the board of the Symbian Foundation that it will be transitioning from its current operational activities to become a licensing operation only, Nokia today reaffirmed its commitment to the Symbian platform. Nokia plans to continue to invest its own resources in developing Symbian, the world's most widely used smartphone platform, and expects to deliver a strong portfolio of Symbian-based smartphones to people around the world.

"The future of Symbian as a platform does not depend on the existence of the foundation," said Jo Harlow, Senior Vice President, Smartphones, Nokia. "The changes announced by the foundation have no impact on Nokia's Symbian device roadmaps or shipping commitments. The platform powers hundreds of millions of smartphones - including our own - and we expect to deliver ongoing support and innovation benefitting the Symbian ecosystem in the future."

Nokia's recent decision to focus on Qt as its sole application development framework is expected to bring greater efficiency and speed of evolution to the Symbian platform. This approach is aimed at ensuring compatibility for apps with future Symbian platform versions, and enables more frequent updates and upgrades for Nokia smartphones. To take advantage of this ever-growing opportunity, developers can find the tools and support they need through Forum Nokia, and global distribution to Nokia's broad base of smartphones through Ovi Store.

Nokia is the volume market leader in smartphones and the company's commitment to the Symbian platform is unchanged. Nokia smartphones based on the new Symbian platform include the Nokia N8, Nokia C7 and the new Nokia C6-01 which are available now, as well as the upcoming Nokia E7 which is expected to ship before the end of 2010. Nokia expects to sell more than 50 million Symbian^3-based devices.

Nokia at Symbian Exchange and Exposition 2010
Nokia will exhibit and demonstrate its portfolio of Symbian-based smartphones at the annual Symbian Exchange and Exposition (SEE) 2010 event in Amsterdam, Netherlands November 9-10. Nokia's Jo Harlow will deliver a keynote address on Tuesday, November 9 at approximately 10:15am CET. For more information on the event, which is hosted for the Symbian community and free to attend, visit http://www.see2010.org/.

Press
[ This Message was edited by: tranced on 2010-11-08 20:20 ]
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-08 23:30
From reading recent reviews I get the impression Symbian is still not quite there yet with with Symbian^3. Why can't they dip their toes into Android everyone else is. If they don't improve it further it surely won't be top by next year it will be Android
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-11-08 23:44
Android's current market percentage is tiny compared to Symbian.

I doubt this time next year Android will have taken much more ground from Symbian. In fact, since more phones are likely to come preinstalled with Symbian, its more likely Android will lose more market percentage rather than gain.

Nokia can churn out quality Symbian handsets at an impressive rate.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-09 00:12
Yes they churn them out fast
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-11-09 00:18
are you sure of that Etaab? Considering how much growth Android has made in just 2010? Highly doubt it will lose any share,if it does it will be due to iOS OR WP7, even networks are making their own Android phones now, not to mention all the manufacturers, we are talking HTC, SAMSUNG, Motorola, LG, SE, DELL, ACER, etc... vs. Nokia, lets get real here.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2010-11-09 13:06 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-09 13:00
It's clearly seen that Nokia won't jump into the Android wagon. Yet we have much more to see what S^3 will bring to us. The S^3 is a young version of this old OS.

I suppose that their new phones will offer a lot more than what they're offering right now(N8 and E7).
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
idumbakumar
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2010-11-09 14:26
as single company cannot keep the symbian top on the market for long time. There's no point in comparing the shares. Just look at the growth rate between symbian and android. Also symbian surviving for ages without any much ground breaking improvements.
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2010-11-09 18:13
2011 will be Symbian's year..

Nokia are investing big in this and getting it all right so far..

Pure QT all the way.. Ovi Store getting more attention than ever.. Very good marketing so far..

And yes, if Nokia is to hold their one third of the smartphone market share and add to it the East Asian market dominance, Symbian will stay top!
No need for Motorolla, SE, or Samsung!

But it's not the market share what matters at teh moment actually.. Both Android and Symbian are the leaders now.. Neither of them would vanish nor dominate! At least for the coming two years..

The real battle/tough choice is to determine which OS is technically better!
Right now, Android has the better UI and more support, Symbian the better and more developed with superior functions.

In case the coming upgrades early 2011 make Symbian at least par with Android concerning the UI's functionality, then it will be a clear winner..
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2010-11-09 18:31

On 2010-11-08 23:30:11, Bonovox wrote:
From reading recent reviews I get the impression Symbian is still not quite there yet with with Symbian^3. Why can't they dip their toes into Android everyone else is.

First of all, Nokia have the Ovi Store they hugely invested in and still doing so!
This alone should make rule Android out.

Another thing, those poor reviews you're coming across are more concerned to deliver what the public wants to know rather than what it needs to! Otherwise, they'd end up with some poor audience..

No one dares to go agaisnt the flow!

It's a fact that Symbian is more efficient, and more capable than Android at the moment..
But who dares to mention it..
Everyone just mentions the flashy UI and the 100k apps at the Android Market compared to the dated UI of Symbian.
Because simply this is what satisfies the public to read!
More than 90% wouldn't care less about knwoing what's running beneath that UI or what different functions does each OS offer..
They just want to listen and read what they're getting in the media again and again..

As stupid as it sounds, it's the reality..
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-11-09 19:32
If Symbian is so much more functional and effecient then Nokia should make that part of their mdrketing campaign and highlight exactly what these superior functions in Symbian are as nobody seems to be able to.
Going against the flow is exactly what got the iPhone where it is now.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-11-09 23:43

On 2010-11-09 00:18:53, Tsepz_GP wrote:
are you sure of that Etaab?..

etc... vs. Nokia, lets get real here.

You see, you are clearly missing the obvious. What false_morel said is all very true, Symbian has a much brighter future ahead of it at the moment. But think of it in basic terms.

Nokia are by far the worlds most popular mobile phone manufacturer. They make more mobile phones than anyone else. Nokia are very good at flooding the market with many different handsets all running the same none-smartphone interface or Symbian. You're forgetting Nokia is also a brand name and a name known for making good quality handsets.

Now compare Nokia to the companies you mentioned. SE - myself along with many other Esato forum members and people i talk to in the street would never buy a SE phone again. Motorola - always poor in quality with terrible hardware imo. Acer & Dell - they're not the first name you think of when buying a mobile phone. HTC - nice specs, but poor quality hardware much of the time especially the cameras. Lastly, Samsung & LG, again the same story, LG is only popular in some markets, whilst Samsung is popular but limited by their own silly input with Android with Touchwhiz. People who buy Samsung or LG phones tend not to care about the OS.

So basically you've got a whole bunch of good, average, or pretty mediocre mobile phone manufacturers all supporting Android which also carry a high pricetag. Anyone who likes a good quality phone with a high spec camera or other killer hardware features dont really have much choice. Thats why they end up sticking with Nokia just like me. Nokia have every corner of the market covered from budget phones to top spec flagships. Which other Android manufacturer can do that ?
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2010-11-09 22:44 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-11-10 00:18
Lol, you're missing an important point, Symbian has been losing share, so has Nokia in places like India where the Chinese handsets are beginning to flood the low end market, if im not mistaken India is their biggest market,no?
Samsung and HTC have made major growth,guess it was convenient for you to just ignore that. Samsung are catching up to Nokia rapidly, and if im not mistaken Android has what? 25% marketshare whilest Symbian has 33% as of Q3, Android managed to growth of 1309% in just 2years, lets not forget Samsung and HTC have huge amounts of network support in the USA who are one of if not the largest smartphone market.
Htc Desire, Galaxy-S, X10, X10mini and Htc Wildfire managed to be the in the top10 most popular in the UK smartphones as well, with only the lowly Nokia X6 16gb being the only Symbian. Android is going to continue to eat away at Symbians share, you are only fooling yourself by denying that. Despite Nokia churning out supercheap S60s like the 5530, 5230, 5800, X6 8gb, 532 xm, 5630xm, E63 etc...they continue to lose share in smartphones to the more expensive Androids, seems people are prepared to pay a little extra to get a great UI, app support, excellent browsing experience etc... Pushing out multiple cheap handsets is clearly not helping Nokia much as they have already been doing it for the past 2years.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-11-10 01:03
Symbian went from 38% or so in Q3 '09 to 33% '10 despite a flood of cheap S60s, and heres an interesting article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/01/canalys_smartphone_stats/ Android is the one with a bright future here, even the US Military are now using it: http://www.androidguys.com/20[....]l-forces-android-killer-combo/ and its now becoming popular with educational institutes to: http://www.androidguys.com/20[....]d-releases-native-android-app/ this is mainly in the US for now, but as we've seen with other apps it all soon spreads to other regions. Symbian has been around for over 5years and yet nothing like this is happening to it despite being the dominate OS,the fact that many who own Symbians dont even know the own a "smart"phone doesnt help it much either.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 21:30
You're clearly very loyal to Android so again i wont start a massive debate about it. Im not fooling myself, i simply look at every OS out there and not reserve my good opinions for only one and discredit the rest.

All im prepared to say is the future is pretty exciting for people like me who're into mobile phones to an almost geek level. Im looking forward to next years releases. Im still hoping Apple sort out the iPhone 5 so its actually a usable smartphone.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 22:37
Exactly the type of reply i was expecting from someone who cant swallow the facts, so you turn around accuse me of being loyal to Android
Excuse me for being realistic and having the back-up.
I'm looking forward to what's coming in all platforms, paticularly WebOS as that remains the one OS i think would take off if it just had the right type of marketing and devices to run on.
By the way etaab,this seems to be your general way of dealing with people here once the arguement is not going your way, you then claim to love all OS and accuse the other of being loyal or a fanboy.

On 2010-11-08 23:44:53, etaab wrote:
Android's current market percentage is tiny compared to Symbian.

Err..no: http://www.androidguys.com/20[....]sing-symbian-world-domination/ Android went from being 41% behind Symbian in Q3 2009 to being just 11% behind Symbian in Q3 2010, that's quite a leap considering Nokia in that space of time flooded the market with cheap S60s like the 5230/5233, 5800-NavEdition, N97-Mini, all the X6 variants, E5, C6 etc... yet despite all that, Androids, which sell at higher price points and are still not as widely available as S60s still managed to make a 30% leap, and Symbian dropped by 8% in this same space of time, like i said, let's get real here.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2010-11-11 22:55 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi