Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > I'm looking at Vivaz Pro. What should I know?

Previous  12
Author I'm looking at Vivaz Pro. What should I know?
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-11-04 15:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Google gives me a ton of rather useless links when I search for Symbian software. Over half my downloads won't install for whatever reason.

Can anyone recommend me a good source for Symbian software for Vivaz Pro?

Does anyone know of PowerMP3 supports the headset from the Aino (Yes, I'm too lazy to look up the model number)? I mean, it has buttons for Play and Next and Previous track, and I'm glad to see that Vivaz Pro supports it. Does PowerMP3 also?
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-11-06 17:21
Well, I've had the Vivaz Pro for nearly a week now, and I have to say that I'm surprised I don't find it as useless as I thought I would.

The music player is actually rather nice, limited but gives good sound. I have no clue what SE were thinking putting the jack-plug on the side. It's an annoying place which prevents the phone from fitting in my pocket when I have a headset in. I use my bluetooth headset from my Aino, so to me it's not a problem, but I can certainly understand why others complain about this.

The audio-volume in video recordings is way way too low. (How on earth can SE make shit like that??). However, since I mostly record stuff to be burned to DVD, I need to use an editing software anyway, and then it's no trouble putting on an Audio-Normalize effect to correct audio.

Still getting to know the device, but so far it looks much better than expected. Even the resistive screen responds better than expected (but I still hate touch).

But where are the good sources for Symbian S60v5 software? (And I mean software that'll actually install and run without problems). So far it seems Java stuff is the better choice.
vprxtrm
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2010-12-16 09:16
i suggest registering on ipmart forum. it has tons of software available for s60v5. for signing get a certificate from opda.cn. is a little hard to find everything you want at the begining, but after a mounth or two you will know all there is to know about symbian.
Monaco
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-12-17 05:39
Symbian is a dead end, in my opinion you made a big mistake getting it. I made a big mistake a year ago when I bought the Satio as well.

gharknes1
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-12-17 07:56
vivaz has no flash so none runner from the word go regardless of anything else
vprxtrm
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2010-12-17 09:31
i don't think symbian is a dead end....maybe for SE users, but not for the others. maybe there will be no other firware release (anyway my vivaz is working perfect in terms of UI speed and quite stable unlike my old n95) but applications will be developed for a period of time, the Nokia symbian community is quite large. I don't think develoers will leave all those people behind. from my point of view, symbian is ok regarding user experience, is quite customizable (at least the menus) and is not the end of the world to have a symbian on your phone, even if is an old OS, buggy sometimes, and way behind android and IphoneOS. for me, the good features this phone has are much more important than what OS is running. currently, the only bug I have with my vivaz is stuttering (sometimes, not allways) in video recording. but I understand that this bug comes from the memory card. i have the original 8gb microSD. i will try, when the budget allows, to buy a much faster microSD and maybe a 16 gb one.

now, if you try searching a bit, you will find that all the hd and 8/5 mpx phones from samsung, nokia, Iphone are much more expensive than the vivaz... samsung galaxy S is around 500 euros, the Iphone is abot 950 euros and the vivaz is around 350 euros. samsung wave is a little cheaper, but still around 50 euros more than the vivaz. so...in the end you will get what you paid for.

for me, with a maximum 400 euro budget, vivaz is the perfect phone. nothing else in the market, for that price, can come close to vivaz features.
gharknes1
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-12-23 09:52
and if you want to take a picture in poor lighting you're shafted, Satio still remains my number 1 choice even with it's niggles
vprxtrm
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2010-12-24 08:19
if we are talking about satio then we must talk about nokia n8. there we have a better symbian, better hardware and better overall phone than the satio at the same price. i am a SE fan for years but at this moment sony flagship phones are weaker than the competition. even the x10 cannot stand in front of the galaxy s and other droids. as for the vivaz is a cheap phone with great hardware and features. it is worth purchasing it because is cheaper and rather small. otherwise, the samsung wave is much better. for me the vivaz, at today's price is the perfect phone, i am happy to have it and maybe, in 1-2 years i will switch to the next droid xperia. hope it will be better supported than the x10.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi