Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Do not buy the new Nokia N8 if you´re keen on Night Photography

Author Do not buy the new Nokia N8 if you´re keen on Night Photography
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-30 17:58
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2010-10-30 10:52:22, etaab wrote:
But then surely every manufacturer would be doomed to the same fate ?

Which other cameraphone manufacturers release phones capable of what Vit asks ? none !

The only reason other phones might be capable of such artistic night pictures where the N8 is not is down to their inferior hardware and / or software. This is a rather silly thing to moan about considering this is a cameraphone, not a dedicated DSLR. It is ridiculous, its like me starting a thread entitled "Do not buy the Nokia N8 as it cannot burn CDs !"

Its pretty straightforward to me.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2010-10-30 09:54 ]

etaab, I am not asking for something miraculous like burning CD´s...

In fact, I do not even say anything about it matching a 30sec - 60sec exposure time of a DSLR.

I´ve never asked for professional capabilities.

After all, a meager 2s is nothing from another planet, and it´s clearly a thing that even the most basic P&S can match.

People into night photography prefer to shoot at lower ISO and with slower Shutter Speeds. That´s an undeniable fact.

People like this may regret buying the N8 for its camera abilities, and Nokia´s bravely publicizing it as an advanced, capable of amazineg results, camera.

They should express better which are its limitations.

People say that life must be balanced.

Packing a 1/1.83" sensor inside a phone doesn´t seem to be balanced by this SS limitation of about 1/15sec.
[ This Message was edited by: Vit on 2010-10-30 17:07 ]
Every Picture Tells a Story
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-30 19:13
But its not a limitation if its simply an option not present in the software. A limitation is where the hardware cannot simply achieve the task. I have no doubts the N8 could, given an app.

Again like i said, try suggesting it on the Nokia developers forum ??

You've said yourself that Nokia said the N8 was capable of great pictures. But you're asking not for great pictures in the same sense Nokia meant. You mean something different entirely.

Im sure Nokia could quite easily add in with a firmware update along with sepia, negative and vivid the option you desire.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2010-10-30 18:16 ]
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-30 20:54

On 2010-10-30 17:34:13, Bonovox wrote:
Nice pic. What was it taken with??

Camphone - NOT! Canon EOS 20D...
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2010-11-01 03:25
Vit,

How many N8 users do even know about shutter speeds, ISOs, exposures, and photography in general?
Even if most of those were attracted by the high-quality camera of the phone!

And even if some know some things, how many of those would consider capturing some artistic photos whether low shutter speeds night shots or other scenes?!

If I'd have to make a rough guess, I'd say not more than 5%! And I think i'm being generous here..

Only users who are into photography, whether professionals or hobbyists, would be interested in such options!
And not only the N8 and cameraphones in general aren't meant for those, but all point and shoot cameras..

Why would Nokia or any other manufacturer waste time and effort into implementing stuff that isn't serving the objective of the product!
When you design a software, you should take these factors into account.

I agree that it wouldn't have taken them much to implement a simple option for adjusting the shutter speeds, but consider also the disadvantage of such implementation..
First of all, the possibility of some users burning their sensors if used at certain extreme situation.. However, if teh shutter speeds were to be limited to a minimum of 2 secs this wouldn't be something to worry about I guess. Anyway, you're the expert here, you should more about this..

And secondly, users using that option the wrong way and blaming Nokia for it! You've got people like those everywhere. And the problem is they could make some noise you know..

And lastly, the time and efforts the programmers need to implement such a thing while it shouldn't be an influencing selling feature! So, this is a waste of time, efforts, and eventually money. I'm sorry, but this is how everyone runs his business.

Now, compared to other cameraphones, and specially the Satio as I own a one, the phone shooting twilight scenes at 1 sec shutter speed automatically and I can't do anything about it is plain stupid!

You either give the option of manually adjusting the shutter speed, or do it the N8 way!
As there is no f**kin way I could capture a decent nightshot without having some blurs! Shooting handheld nightshots with the Satio isn't good a idea..
Specially when you're in a hurry and just shooting some photos randomely..

What could be hoped for is one thing. A mod or an app giving the mentioned feature..
Other than that, to launch a bashing campaign against the N8 based on this is just not fair! It's out of proportion really.
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-01 03:42

On 2010-11-01 03:25:33, false_morel wrote:
Vit,

How many N8 users do even know about shutter speeds, ISOs, exposures, and photography in general?
Even if most of those were attracted by the high-quality camera of the phone!

How many N8 users know what difference a 1/1.83" sensor makes?

Nokia has publicized it in a very peculiar way: "The new N8 has the biggest sensor ever fitted in a mobile".

People that say I am expecting too much. For these people I then ask:

If we should never have high expectations from a phone´s camera, what´s the sense in having such a BIG (in Nokia´s own words, not mine) sensor inside it?
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-01 03:55

On 2010-10-30 19:13:35, etaab wrote:
But its not a limitation if its simply an option not present in the software. A limitation is where the hardware cannot simply achieve the task. I have no doubts the N8 could, given an app.

Again like i said, try suggesting it on the Nokia developers forum ??

You've said yourself that Nokia said the N8 was capable of great pictures. But you're asking not for great pictures in the same sense Nokia meant. You mean something different entirely.

Im sure Nokia could quite easily add in with a firmware update along with sepia, negative and vivid the option you desire.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2010-10-30 18:16 ]

Be it a SW or a HW issue, what we know is that we cannot have access to slower SS.

In practical terms then, it is indeed a limitation.

I am expecting for great news from Nokia about this regard, but I guess that they will never address this issue.

The whole point of these controversial threads is to draw Nokia´s guys attention. I hope that they´ve read all these messages both here and @ dpreview.com.
[ This Message was edited by: Vit on 2010-11-01 02:56 ]
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2010-11-01 05:13

How many N8 users know what difference a 1/1.83" sensor makes?

Nokia has publicized it in a very peculiar way: "The new N8 has the biggest sensor ever fitted in a mobile".

People that say I am expecting too much. For these people I then ask:

If we should never have high expectations from a phone´s camera, what´s the sense in having such a BIG (in Nokia´s own words, not mine) sensor inside it?

Well, at least thanks to Nokia's advertising, they know now that the N8 should deliver the best quality photos in the market because of its sensor's size!

And this does matter.
You see, customers do matter that they could capture some pretty landscape images to brag about. Also to shoot some high quality portrait photos of friends and family..

The high-quality photos the N8 delivers which makes it the best cameraphone in hte market is a major selling point!

Low shutter speeds photos don't meet the same objective! The average joe would find it too complicated, time consuming, and simply not interesting to even know about!
It doesn't meet the customer's requirements. Ok, the vast majority of them.

You are an exception who's asking for something extra.
And you've got all the right to do so.. And I support you in this quest..

But you can't blame Nokia as if they forgot something here and or missed some trivial feature..
You can ask them for adding it, not blame them for not adding it..

Got the idea now?
[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2010-11-01 04:14 ]
voda_jon
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2010-11-01 09:52
to be honest after reading this whole thread it seems you are wrong about Nokia and their N8.

The technique of light trails and using slow shutter speeds is probably beyond most cameraphone users as the general public who buy the phone would consider this technique to be a 'fault' not a useful technique.

How many reviews from professional blogs and companies do you see them advising that one of the downfalls of a certain phone is the lack of slow shutter speeds? NOt many as the primary use of a cameraphone is as a phone. The camera part is meant for spare of the moment shots or more like a standard point and shoot camera.

And it does still stand that if you are into photography enough to want this feature so badly then go buy a DSLR or even one of the Pro-sumer type of cams which suites your needs.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-01 18:17
+1
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-11-01 21:02

On 2010-11-01 03:55:03, Vit wrote:
Be it a SW or a HW issue, what we know is that we cannot have access to slower SS.

In practical terms then, it is indeed a limitation.

Heh ! that made me giggle !

Do you not see what you're saying ? as you can see from the general opinion of the masses what you ask is not something thats a prerequisite of any cameraphone, or even a cameraphone dubbed by Nokia themselves as being one of the best available.

Therefore, based on the general opinion, its not a limitation at all. It is no more a limitation than my N8 not being able to run Android apps, make calls underwater, fry eggs, get me dates with page 3 models or generally give me the power of god !

Vit, i'll say it again, by moaning about it on a forum Nokia might take notice but they're not going to implement such a feature if only a small fraction of their N8 buyers demand it. Trust me, go down the Nokia developers forum and suggest it as an app ! it works, people do it you know !
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi