Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia smartphones, meet your smarter browser

Author Nokia smartphones, meet your smarter browser
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-28 11:04
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

Oslo, Norway — October 28, 2010

The world’s most popular mobile browser is now optimized for the world’s most popular smartphone platform. Opera Software today released the beta version of Opera Mini 5.1 optimized for Symbian.

The native version of Opera Mini for Symbian features all the innovations Opera Mini is known for, such as Speed Dial for the users’ favorite websites, tabbed browsing and an attractive user interface.

The Opera Mini 5.1 native beta release brings several key improvements to the Opera Mini browser on Nokia smartphones:
  • Support for more devices than ever
  • Significantly faster start-up time
  • Improved page-load and scrolling performance, especially on older devices
  • Full support for device text input methods
  • Improved fonts
  • Device integration for copy & paste, email client and more
  • Option to choose default access point — no more annoying dialogs
Previously, owners of S60 handsets were restricted to using the Java version of Opera Mini. The new, optimized version improves performance and is better integrated with other applications. Nokia smartphones based on Symbian are very popular among Opera Mini users, and this release translates into a better browsing experience, while saving on data traffic charges and fees.

“It is Opera’s objective to provide its users with the best possible web-surfing experience on any device,” said Christen Krogh, Chief Development Officer, Opera Software. “Porting Opera Mini to the Symbian programming language provides the largest user base in the smartphone world with the best mobile browsing experience.”

It is available for free on more than 3000 different mobile phone models, in all markets. Available for download at m.opera.com. The beta version will be available in English; other languages will follow in a later release.

Download Opera Mini 5.1 beta for S60 press kit
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-10-28 12:53
Just tried it on the 5800 and it works very well, far better than the java version, its very smooth, fast and lite on resources, but being a Beta it does jerk and have a few rough things to be sorted, but great app for Symbians as the built-in browser isn't that good.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11ā€¯ 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-28 18:34
Whats the difference between this and Opera Mobile 10 ? ive always used Opera Mobile as its packaged up in native .sis files and not awful Java format.

Btw Opera Mobile 10 works really well on the N8, but pinch to zoom appears to be missing which is a shame since the built in Nokia browser includes it.

Im sure come the end of the year when Nokia's own inbuilt web browser is replaced by their new version it'll be better still than Operas offerings.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-10-28 19:26
Main difference is that Opera Mini does compression and rendering at the server AFAIK, then you get the result of that, whereas Opera Mobile does all on the phone, and in Turbo it just compresses.
You will also gain a lot of batt life with this native Opera Mini.
Opera Mobile is fantastic once you've set it up to your liking in opera:config menu, my only beef with it on the 5800 was that RAM ran out so quickly.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11ā€¯ 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 23:16
RAM is not really an issue with the N8 currently, ive not had a single out of memory error whilst running EVERY native app on the phone and EVERY app id installed myself.

Still, like i said the complete lack of multitouch in Opera puts it in a second place compared to the default Nokia browser.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 23:29
On previous Symbian devices I never really had any issues with their browsers
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 23:41
Me neither apart from them closing down every so often on their own. They were a bit clunky though.

Apparently Nokia's own browser will be revamped late this year and will offer everything you'd expect in 2010.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-30 11:36
Heres a mention of Nokia's new browser. Unfortunately Nokia removed the video from Youtube for some sort of copyright reason

new Nokia browser demoed on N8
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-30 13:08
So far not even Sony Ericsson has implemented multi touch so hats off at least Nokia has
Phone?? What phone??
brys182
Xperia Mini Pro White
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-10-30 14:46
works well in my s60v5,,,
hoping for a little flash support in final release..

Don't be so quick to judge me, you only see what I choose to show you.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-30 19:18
This is why i always prefer Nokia. They're not number 1 market leaders for nothing. Its because they bring new ideas and features to their phones, aswel as adopting others by other people.

SE always seem like a stick in the mud who wont adopt anything none-SE sourced.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi