Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Blackberry > Blackberry 8700g as cheap webcam?

Author Blackberry 8700g as cheap webcam?
jago25_98
K750
PM
Posted: 2010-09-18 16:12
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Here's the deal...

I want to be able to talk face to face with a friend in another country.

She has an old laptop that doesn't work so well (512mb but 800mhz).

What we'd like is to be able to start a webcam chat at any point with something she can carry around all the time. I don't want to spend a lot of money if possible. (she's in argentina)

This leads to a load of ideas and questions:

- Can the BlackBerry 8700g do webcam calls... perhaps with Fring, Skype or similar. These things are super cheap now (only £30!) Is edge fast enough for webcams?

What other options are there?
I have a Symbian s60v5 Nokia e55... but I can't see a way to make video calls with it? Especially now that Skype have blocked Symbian users by suing Fring.
Symbian phones tend to be a lot cheaper. Should I go with that? I mean, if I have a Symbian phone perhaps we should stick with that so we're both on the same page?
phonecrzy
Vivaz Ruby
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 18:46
The Blackberry 8700g does not have a video call camera, sorry. You can either both get devices that support skype or both get video call camera phones [it will cost 35p per/min for vid calls on phones though and vid call phones are expensive, but skype calls are free]
Age is just a number.. Being 13 makes me no dumber than a wise old man
jago25_98
K750
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 21:44
Cheers!

I bought her a second hand e71! Hopefully we'll have Skype for s60 running on that... got it going on my e55. Other than that hopefully the fring protocol can do it! The e71 seemed to be the best choice for it all, cheapest option as far as I can see?

Hope this helps someone out there.

-j
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi