Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > Samsung I5801 Galaxy Apollo on Orange

Author Samsung I5801 Galaxy Apollo on Orange
NazT
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-09-07 19:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello everyone,

I bought a Samsung I5801 Galaxy Apollo on Orange at the weekend for my partner, I have an iPhone and we use all our contract minutes so were looking for some form of VOIP app to talk over wifi.

I went into the Android market place and downloaded Fring & Truphone (as Skype isn't available yet), both installed correctly, but with Fring for example she could ring me, but she could neither hear me or talk to me, and neither could she hear the test call. (I was using Fring too)

Surely Orange haven't blocked the ability to do this over wifi? I'll be mighty cheesed off if they have as we signed a 2 year contract after the sales person had assured us this was possible over wifi.

Can anyone help? If there's any suggestions at all please let me know?

Thanks in advance.
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-07 19:22
I find it hard to believe that they could possibly block it over WiFi, that would be down to your ISP, but if Skype works on your PC then it should on your phone (even through Fring its the same port). I would go back into the Orange store and ask their point of view on it, but they will say it is Fring (that's what they do, pass the blame), so I'd see if Fring have a support forum and see what is mentioned around there.

However, perhaps because the Skype app is not released for the phone yet, this may be a sign of incompatibility on that phone, but I can't see why.

Cheers
skeerthy
P1
PM
Posted: 2010-09-29 10:48
I brought this phone and have exactly the same problem. Any one got solution?

I'm still trying different things. Will post if I find a solution.
NazT
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-10-09 14:49
It appears that this phone has some form of slightly different settings on Android which make it incompatible for these VOIP app's, the new skype app has just been released and even that doesnt work. I did find however if you look through all the app's some do work, Nimbuzz I think was the one which worked for us, but even then the sound quality was crap.

We solved the problem by me buying a Orange PAYG phone and her making me her magic number, but to use this handset for VOIP, currently won't work. If you look on the Fring forums for example, they know of this problem, so must be working on a solution.

I'd recommend buying a HTC Desire or something along those lines as they work fine.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi