Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Going back to my SE roots: W902 or Elm? (beware of rant)

Author Going back to my SE roots: W902 or Elm? (beware of rant)
Agent_47
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-07-19 00:00
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello everyone.

I dont think anyone will remember it, but I posted here on esato a while back asking advice about getting a smartphone, as I couldnt decide what to get. Well, long story short, I found a good deal on a N97 shortly after that and I took it, even if it meant betraying SE, since I really needed a good smartphone at the time. And lets just say it wasnt one of the smarter decisions I've made in my life, lol. Sure, it served its purpose well, thanks to the good wifi connection, the convenient qwerty, decent camera etc, but aside from that everything about it was so...boring, and above all, really sluggish. Needless to say, I quickly started to regret switching from SE.

Well, I've learned my lesson, so to speak, and now it's all in the past, because fortunately I managed to sell it. Plus, things have changed, and I dont have the need for an all-conquering smartphone anymore.

So now I'm trying to find a good enough successor to my good old trusty W810. Which is still performing flawlessly, mind you .
But I guess after all these years its time for an update, and here's where I need your help . What I'm looking for is basically an updated version of the W810, with the same strong points, such as good camera + good music capabilities. After a bit of research, I've narrowed it down to either the W902 or the newer Elm. I guess the perfect match would be an Elm with the W902 looks, since the Elm is, according to reviews, better in the camera/video/sound quality departement. Plus, I cant seem to find out if the W902 supports 16 GB cards. I guess the awesome looks of the W902 is really what keep me from going straight for the Elm, while the purple fringing I've seen in W902's photos puts me off quite a bit. And here I am going back and forth, trying to decide between them.

So I guess I posted here hoping you guys would share your wisdom with me and help me make the right choice. And also: is the purple fringing really that bad in the W902 photos?
If anybody here had the chance to play with both phones, and have a say on their advantages/weak points, it would be awesome . Thanks in advance!
[ This Message was edited by: Agent_47 on 2010-07-18 23:22 ]
Proud supporter of Sony Ericsson.
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2010-07-19 00:37
It does support 16gb m2, worked flawlessly on my W902
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
groovepeppy
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-07-19 06:24
why didn't you include Hazel, it's the same hardware plus 2.6'' screen, slider and dedicated videocall cam.
As for me i will definitely choose Elm/Hazel, new generation software with good cam, nice battery life plus Wi-fi and GPS.
Sorry i haven't use W902 so i can't give you any opinion.
I hope you choose the right one, cheers
Black Sensation Z710e - Black Apollo 9360
gayannr
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-07-19 10:39
W902 has the same camera module as the C902, so the purple fringing is same as with C902,
Elm would be the best bet, though I don't like the looks of it
Agent_47
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-07-19 18:50
Well after giving it more thought, I think I'm gonna take a chance and go for the Elm. As you guys said, all-round it's the better phone, I can only hope the design'll grow on me .

About the Hazel, well, after my experience with a W995, I realized that sliders just aren't my thing. I prefer the good old bar form. Call me old-fashion, haha.

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys. I'll update the topic with some of my impressions after I get the phone .
Proud supporter of Sony Ericsson.
Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-07-19 18:54
You won't regret it. The Elm is one of the better phones in its class and packed with features which you would find hard to find in other phones in the same price range. Its price has now become even cheaper in the uk and can be bought for as little as 99gbp on pay and go via carphone warehouse.

This message was posted from a J10i
sranjanm2002
W995 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-19 20:23
Elm does not have 3G video call cam.
I Cyber-shot
I
I Madonna
I
plankgatan
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2010-07-19 21:56
definitely vote for 902.........its such a stunning phone....

better camera (might not sharper, but at least you get rid of the yellow nuance)
better music player and better headset.......(thats for sure)
better design, (Elm is a really nice phone , but the design feels a bit tacky)

the strongest side on W902 is the design........think its one of the most beautiful phones ever made.

[ This Message was edited by: plankgatan on 2010-07-19 21:05 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi