Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > X10 Firmware update ruined my battery life

Author X10 Firmware update ruined my battery life
billhannah
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-07-05 23:58
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I updated to the latest X10 firmware yesterday. Since then, my battery is discharging faster than I can charge it. The battery is constantly hot, even when idle. The battery usage screen doesn't show what is actually using all the battery power.

When I did the update, the battery was at 30% charge. I had it plugged into my computer from 11am to 5pm. After being "charging" all day, the battery was up to 46%.

When I got home from work 1.5 hours later, the battery was a 16%. I plugged the USB charger into the mains (240V) and after charging ALL NIGHT the battery was at 4%.

No I'm back at work, and I can't even get it to charge enough to turn on so I can do a factory reset. The only reason I had updated in the first place was because I had assumed it was an update to Android (to 2.1). Of course, now I realize that it's going to be months before SE can pull it's finger out and update to this older OS. But I guess it will be better than 1.6.

Before purchasing this phone, I had asked SE support if they were going to be updating soon to 2.2... I should have guessed from they're extremely vague answer that they have no idea when they're going to update to 2.2. Based on the timeline for 2.1 (udpate in Q4 for an OS that was RTMed in JANUARY) we won't see this untill Q4 2011. Pathetic.

Needless to say, I will not be recommending this phone to anyone (or the X10 mini that just went on sale here in NZ) because I am starting to very much regret giving SE any money. I should have gone for an HTC. At least they can give a straight answer about update schedules and the schedule is at least reasonable. The UI updates to this POS phone aren't so complicated that there is no reason it would take upwards of 12 months to update. Do you only have 1 programmer working part time on this? Or is your dev team just inept?

Way to loose a customer, SE. This will be my last phone from you unless you can pull it together and be competitive.
juris15
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-06 00:17
so the point of making this thread is not to buy X10 anymore? have you tried to ask some advice on the X10 main thread?
i've updated mine and it managed to have 24% after 48h 46mins.... and there are also many users telling that the battery improves a lot...
why don't you try to re-update it...
[ This Message was edited by: juris15 on 2010-07-05 23:24 ]
billhannah
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-07-06 00:23
I would, except I can't get it to hold enough charge.

This is the latest in a string of disappointments with this phone. The real reason for the thread was to see if anyone else was having this issue, but I'm so angry at SE that I can't help it. This was the final straw for me and unless something improves, I'm selling this phone and getting one that won't make me feel like a chump.
juris15
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-06 00:31
Have you tried to use another USB cable? if im not mistaken there was a user who had a defective usb cable or maybe the usb port on the phone was defective...
well i really hope everything will be okey... x10 is a nice phone...
if not i'll wish you all the best on your new phone
billhannah
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-07-06 00:39
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not the USB cable. If it was, it was a super coincidence that the cable died at the same time I did the firmware update.

Also, the battery is very hot, even when the phone is idle, telling me that something is taxing the battery. Like I said, the batter usage says that the biggest drain on the battery was the screen (with a time of just over 3 minutes).

I also have a new icon to the left of the battery that looks like a circle with 2 arrows (like a sync icon) that doesn't go away. I have the feeling that there is some process that is running in an endless loop that is killing my battery. Also, the phone is very unresponsive, another indication that something is stealing cycles from the CPU.

At the moment I am charging the phone with the power off, hoping that I can get enough charge to be able to do a factory reset. If that does the trick, I might be willing to give SE another chance.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi