Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > Deleting before selling iPhone?

Author Deleting before selling iPhone?
scouser_75
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2010-06-19 16:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Guys, I've sold my iPhone 3G - which is jail broken and Officially Unlocked by Apple. But before I let it go to it's new home what are ALL the steps I should go through to ensure full data security?

I know 1 step is to go into Settings/General/Reset/Erase All Content and Settings.

BUT, should I also Restore To New in iTunes? I've heard that this may possibly cause problems to the new owner when activating it again.

Also, would the fact that it's been Jailbroken cause any problems? The new owner does not need it to be Jailbroken so it's no problem if I lose the Jailbreak.

Thanks

AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-06-19 18:55
Restore the phone in iTunes but then disconnect and switch it off before reactivating again at the point where it's asking to be connected to iTunes. This gives you the clean from-the-factory state on the phone.
scouser_75
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2010-06-19 23:38
Thanks AbuBasim. But, I thought re-activating should be done by the new owner otherwise they won't be able to sync with their iTunes acct.
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 04:59
Yes, exactly. That's why I said disconnect and switch off before reactivating. Just let it finish restoring the firmware.

Then the new owner will continue and finish reactivating. This is the same state a new iPhone is in when you connect it the first time.
[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2010-06-20 04:00 ]
scouser_75
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 12:38
Thanks again dude.

So, all I do is Restore the iPhone. Then, when the screen asking to connect to iTunes comes up I just disconnect the phone, switch it off and send it to its new owner?

Should I go through carry out this method also? Settings/General/Reset/Erase All Content and Settings.
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 13:42
I haven't tried the erase option in the phone. Maybe that's all that is needed. But I did restore through iTunes to be extra sure. If you do restore then erasing also is not needed.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi