Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > X10 vs HTC Desire vs iPhone 4

Author X10 vs HTC Desire vs iPhone 4
arvinlad
P1
PM
Posted: 2010-06-18 23:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi - I've at last been tempted by some of the new mobile offerings...

A friend demo'd his HTC Desire recently But... looking at the specs and the obvious enthusiasm for the X10 on here That looks pretty tempting too...

BUT then I got an email from apple about the iPhone 4... Wow Looks amazing in the apple website... but then it would wouldn't it? Obviously they won't tell me about the things it won't do so well

BUT - they all look to be great phones - and I have to admit I probably would prefer any of them to my old P1i

So if people can give me a bit of honest appraisal as to pros and cons of these as to which might part me from some hard cash and my P1i it would be much appreciated!

Thanks
www.answersingenesis.org , www.expelledthemovie.com/home.php
titus1
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-19 02:20
Iphone 4, hands down.
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2010-06-19 04:37
Definately X10 or other android device for full of freedom
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-06-19 06:27
@MyP910, thats not really a reason as I can do pretty much everything I want to do on my iPhone. Also, I also have a Desire but I haven't felt the need to root it yet, but in any case, is rooting any different to jailbreaking to achieve what you want?

@titus1 and others, in discussions like this, lets please give reasons rather than just say the name of one of the choices
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2010-06-19 07:23
@masseur, I'm not talking abt jailbreaking or rooting. Some of the basic functions that you can do easily with open type OS. Simple example, once I exchanged a nice mp3 ringtone from my X10 to my friend Nokia E72 through bluetooth with ease. My other friend who use iphone can only see we doing that as I can't do that to his iphone.

There are a lot of other examples.

Between android and iphone, I don't see any advantage of iphone. Now people can get fully touchscreen android based smartphone for less than 200 euro! I don't see the reason for spending huge amount of money when you can get the same with much more cheaper.
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2010-06-19 09:02
If you think android's UI, sync, and apps are the same as the iphone's you either haven't tested any of them or you suffer from really bad taste.
Jkovacz
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-19 10:07
@arvinlad

I think it would really help if you gave us a bit more to work with.

What do you want from your phone? How important are what features? Do you use iTunes? What kind of apps are you interested in? Esato aside, do you "social network"(fb, twitter etc)...

Also, the iPhone 4 isn't out, so no one here knows anything of substance (how long to jailbreak, real battery life, camera performance etc)...

If you want more than start a flamewar, you gotta be more specific, mate

@masseur To say jailbreak and rooting are the same is like saing a driving license and a pilot's license are pretty much the same thing
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2010-06-19 10:11
@sloopjohn

The ui is same or similar. The apps even though currently less than iphone apps but most of the important and useful apps that you can find on iphome, you can find on android. Synch to me, android is better than iphone.

Abt taste, my taste and expectation is quite high in some extent... that's why I go with X10
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-06-19 10:19
htc sync is basic compared to itunes sync
I can't get my outlook notes over, nor my music/podcasts etc.
of course, there are always 3rd party apps though
Jkovacz
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-19 11:44
Forgot to mention this earlier: for what it's worth,, I returned my X10 after 2 days. Reason a) taste. The blue timescape nonsense hurt my senses b) this may have been o2 f*cking with the fw, but the x10 I owned was so so so slow... I used a Tattoo for a while. Hey,, that little non-snapdragonified devil was faster and more responsive. BUT AGAIN: the x10 I used was o2 branded, so that coulda been their fault. Yes, camera output was definitelty better than the Desire's, and the x10's hardware is nice on the eye, but having said that I wouldn't recommend the X10... I paid a little less for my htc HD2, and in comparison all I can say is, "nice try, SE"

If the Timescape UI appeals to you, do totally ignore all of this.
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2010-06-19 13:11
@jkovacz,

For reason a) if you don't like timescape, why don't just delete the shorcut? And if you don't like color blue, why don't change the background?

I don't use timescape that much. I only use it to do quick glance on facebook newsfeed. But I use mediascape a lot.

For reason b) this is the first time I heard such problem. Strange to hear that 1 Ghz phone is so slow.

I am going to add another X10 in my collection, this time the X10 mini (or maybe X8 if I can wait) because 300 euro for the mini and 200 euro for X8 are very good price for a smartphone.
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-19 13:33
Wont go far wrong with either of these 3, X10 will be serious contender after next update, Desire certainly offers much, Android is eating huge chunks out of everybody's market share,, iphone4 has more or less everything you might want this time around, if you can overlook the eye-watering prices.
Jkovacz
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-19 13:39

On 2010-06-19 13:11:24, MyP910 wrote:
@jkovacz,

For reason a) if you don't like timescape, why don't just delete the shorcut? And if you don't like color blue, why don't change the background?

I don't use timescape that much. I only use it to do quick glance on facebook newsfeed. But I use mediascape a lot.

For reason b) this is the first time I heard such problem. Strange to hear that 1 Ghz phone is so slow.

that is why I pointed out that the firmware meddling by o2 Ire may well be the culprit. And the fact that it was so slow meant I couldn't be ars*d to play with settings....
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-06-19 14:35
I have heard a lot of people stating the x10 is slow with bad battery life.
Phone?? What phone??
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-06-19 14:53

On 2010-06-19 10:19:14, masseur wrote:
htc sync is basic compared to itunes sync
I can't get my outlook notes over, nor my music/podcasts etc.
of course, there are always 3rd party apps though

Are there *any* tools for syncing an Android phone in the same way you do with iPhone/iTunes, i.e. that it keeps track of what podcasts, audiobooks and videos you have played and also keeps track of how far each media file have been played? (If you start playing a podcast on your iPhone, sync it to your PC or Mac and then play the same podcast on the computer, it will resume from the same point where you paused it on the phone. The same with audiobooks and videos.)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi