Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony Ericsson X10 WiFi issue

Author Sony Ericsson X10 WiFi issue
Toney_Ericsson
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-07 15:00
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Does anyone else experience drop connections?

It can't be nothing to do with my network as all other devices work perfectly on my 50mb connection through an N-series router with really strong connections say like on my N-series netbook I can sit 100 metres away in the garden from the router and stream stutter free TV or videos but with the Xperia X10 its a different story, 10 metres away and the connection just drops and doesn't come back.

I can't watch more than 2 minutes of TV using the Beeb Player without the connection vanishing and having to close and open the application and I'm finding similar when streaming from other applications.
[ This Message was edited by: Toney_Ericsson on 2010-06-07 14:06 ]
"OPEN SOURCE REQUIRES OPEN PEOPLE" Sent from my Quietly Brilliant HTC.
Popolou
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-07 17:40
You're not alone - i'm in the same boat. What makes it that little more frustrating is that i'm only 2m from the AP and everything else is fine. Should i notice a dropped connection, then long press the home button to go back into the Wifi settings screen, i can see the attempt to connect, obtain an IP via DHCP and connect.

Should i leave it alone in either the browser or any other app requiring access it would take a while before it reconnects.

My gut feeling is that its a conflict with the AP chipset. The AP is a Alcatel Speedtouch 780 using the Broadcom chipset. What wireless router/AP are you using?

Rgds
Pops
[ This Message was edited by: Popolou on 2010-06-07 16:41 ]
Toney_Ericsson
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-08 00:30
I'm using one of those black Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Routers - WNDR3700

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with my network, all laptops, netbook and other small devices such as ipod touch etc etc all have good connections apart from the Xperia X10.

I think your right it probably is something to do with the AP chipset.

I notice on the Beeb Player on the X10 it asks to use 3G and Wifi but it loses connection. I tried using APNdroid to force shut down and just use WiFi by turning it on from your home screen button to switch WiFi on but the same thing happens and cant watch more than a couple minutes of the Beeb player before losing connection.

Its really frustrating
"OPEN SOURCE REQUIRES OPEN PEOPLE" Sent from my Quietly Brilliant HTC.
Mano82
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-08 00:40
Hey, many users of X10 have this problem Fortunetly i've never got such kind of problem with my WiFi connection. I think we can only hope that SE will fix it in next update.

Here, X10 users discussed the problem:

http://forums.se-nse.net/topi[....]eria-x10-wifi-bug-cause-found/
Popolou
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-08 11:14
Thanks for the link - been searching for something on similar lines to no avail.

Seems like early days yet. I'm inclined to test on different channels after hearing about one posters experiences. This reminds me that another AP that i use at a different site, using a newer version of the wireless AP i use at home hasn't shown these issues. So it's worth a punt running netstumbler and scanning for less used channels to test and switch to. Perhaps it's as simple as this.

Will post back with my results once i test.

Rgds
Pops
AndyD777
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-08 11:24
What firmware is everyone running here? Just to see what firmwares have the problem.
Popolou
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-08 11:35
I suspect its ubiquitous - in my case: had the Voda original and now using R1FA016 following the debranding.

Rgds
pops
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2010-06-08 11:48
You can also try to set a static IP adress.
SKIBBE
Xperia Arc Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-08 18:49
Never had and problems with wifi, but then again i have static ip... dhcp is evil and has always been. really don't understand people who uses it
History
t20e > t68i(t68 f/w) > t610i > k700i > W900i > W960i > x10i > Current: Misty Silver Arc
Popolou
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-09 10:41

Tell that to the corporate IT admin out there.

For the record, I don't see how assigning a static address helps as this is a matter concerning the link layer as opposed to the routing.

I noticed that my home AP was using a channel ID of 1. I began to increment this until I got to 4 which, bizarrely gave me a longer session before it cut off. Perhaps it would be revealing to hear back from everyone on what channels their wireless networks are running on.

Rgds
Pops
SKIBBE
Xperia Arc Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-09 18:05
@Popolou

Linksys WRT54GC
mixed mode, static, 06 channel

worked so far, but then again i seldom use the wifi i got a nice deal with 3g, 5gb and up to 6mbit for 89sek/month (7.6GBP)
[ This Message was edited by: SKIBBE on 2010-06-09 17:06 ]
History
t20e > t68i(t68 f/w) > t610i > k700i > W900i > W960i > x10i > Current: Misty Silver Arc
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi