Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia N8 uses usb otg, browses files off a usb drive.

Author Nokia N8 uses usb otg, browses files off a usb drive.
adnansanni
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-05-31 23:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
USB On-The-Go is a relatively unknown feature on mobile phones despite its obvious advantages. Watch how some lucky dude connects a USB flash drive and even a Nokia C5 to the N8 and plays some tracks from both.

USB On-The-Go has been a relatively unpopular feature on mobile phones. You've probably never seen it in use even though there are already a handful of phones supporting it.

Usually, phones connect to computers and if they support Mass Storage mode, the computer will see them as a regular flash drives.

Some phones can take the role of the computer - so you can plug in, say, a USB flash drive and view and copy the files off/to it, or even connect a second phone in mass storage mode. Check out the video to see the Nokia N8 subjugate its less advanced Nokia C5 sibling and a USB memory stick.

USB On-The-Go can do other cool stuff - for example, the Nokia N810 tablet can use USB On-The-Go to connect an ordinary PC keyboard and even an external USB hard disk. Whether or not the Nokia N8 can do any of these tricks remains to be seen though.

USB On-The-Go sounds like a cool feature, often eliminating the need for a computer to act as a middleman to copy files between such devices, but it hasn't caught on. Still, we can't wait to get our hands on a Nokia N8 and see what kind USB gadgets we can get it to work with.

Source
..Adnan..
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-06-01 00:14
Excellent with OVi Sync and USB OTG it means getting all the data from my 5800xm to my future N8 wont even require touching a PC.
NOKIA seem to be the only ones interested in making smartphones require a PC much less these days. Loving the N8 more and more each day.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
adnansanni
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-06-01 01:59
Few years ago, I wrote a wish in here (here) about future handsets capability. That was able to play DVD/CD via external DVD-ROM directly. I can see within few years, that'll also become true.
..Adnan..
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-06-01 02:05
I am liking the N8
Phone?? What phone??
adnansanni
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-06-01 02:20
Yeah I'm also keep my eyes on it. Today I went to market to buy Desire but already having an touch phone (3GS) I didn't feel to buy another touch screen phone without proper camera. So decided to wait little more for N8 and bought SE-C901 which I found in very low price. It's only $179US in here but it hasn't any data-cable or any DVD/CD. I wonder why it's price so drop to this level.
Also bought a Nokia 1202 for home.
..Adnan..
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-06-01 06:19
The O2 XDA Flame (running WM5.0) had this feature in 2007 (i.e. when some of you kids were still not weaned off your Pampers ) although then it was simply called 'USB Host' but I admit USB On-The-Go sounds more catchy.
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-02 06:25
Oh yes, I remember. However, let's hope Nokia will do a better job. Half of the Memory Sticks were not recognised and with the other half you were asked to format them on insertion. WTF - Eventually the 'feature' was deemed to be a useless nuisance and was dropped. The N8 is the first Nokia (in a long time) I am interested in. For a change,even the price is right to start with. Let's hope it won't disappoint.
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
norbi_nw
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-06-02 18:06
If this will be as good as it sounds (not the USB OTG, but the whole N8) i will ditch my Satio and switch to nokia. So 1 less fanboy for SE after what they did to me with Satio.
http://norbinw.blogspot.com
alexslane
Xperia Play Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-05 09:01
i think that nokia have always been a bit clever in what they have done with the handset ,
the n8 looks like its going to be a awesome handset.
The specs are jaw dropping and symbian 3 looks sweet.

Bronze trusted Trader ! <br />HTC Wildfire S
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi