Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > "Must-Have" apps that work on X10 mini / X10 mini pro Thread

Previous  123 ... 9 101112  Next
Author "Must-Have" apps that work on X10 mini / X10 mini pro Thread
Munchkinn
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 13:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Thanks, I'll check it out...
Munchkinn
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 21:52
AmbientTime Home is very cool Some things are much better than the default Home etc. More icons on the home page for a start. Also folders, so you can put several apps in one folder together. It alows you to put more than one widget on the same page too (depending on the widget and size). I like it a lot...
ozzy1212
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-06 17:59
CPU usage is unusually high so the battery is being drained a lot faster w Ambient TIme Home...
altho it really is amazing and very entertaining...
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2010-10-06 18:36
What do you guys use has profile manager?
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
ozzy1212
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-06 21:43
i just toggle between vibrate and silent and loud...
what are you looking for in a profile manager anyhow?
Munchkinn
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-07 15:03
@ozzy1212 yes I think you are right about the CPU usage, which is a shame as it's very useful. I would be happy if the background didn't move about. I don't see the point of that really...
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-10-07 15:52

On 2010-10-06 18:36:44, ares wrote:
What do you guys use has profile manager?

Hi Ares, I use Timeriffic. Primarily to manage my screen brightness throughout the day. But it can be used to time almost everything automatically.

Were you looking for an automated setup or a manual one?
-alex-
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-10-31 02:18
Hi guys

I currently have a Sony elm, and am looking to go for a touch screen upto date system phone. I've been looking at the X10 Mini, and I was wondering if the following apps can be put on the Android X10 Mini, and are they in the Androd Market app?
. Yahoo Mail
. Track ID (pedomiter)
. Opera Mini
. eBay

. Also, I see there's a facebook App. Its that a full facebook page browser? Or would I need to use somthing else like Opera Mini?

. Is there a currency app?
. Is there an pre-installed callulator?

Also, what is the defult browser on the X10 Mini? Can it view Yahoo mail okay? And Facebook etc?

Sorry if these questions seems silly, but I have not had an Android, and am new to all of this. Any of these questions you can awnser, I'd be very greatful. Thanks!
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-10-31 04:59
Hi alex,

I can say yes to all except the Track ID (sorry, I'm confused, isn't this 's music label app?) & ebay part... since I've never used the ebay app for Android... but you can browse here for more info on it:

http://pages.ebay.com/mobile/android.html

There are also a ton of other pedometer options on the Android Marketplace as well, along with full blown GPS apps.

Yahoo Mail will be handled by Yahoo's Mobile site, m.yahoo.com so the features and capabilities are from their site.

Although, I will say this right up front. This is a Google device. So Gmail will be a preferred option over Yahoo Mail.

But if you have imap access to your Yahoo mail, you can configure the default mail client to handle it. (The default client is separate from the built in GMail client)

The Facebook app is built specifically for the Mini actually. Although not all the functions are enabled...and it will still automatically take you to Facebook's touch site at times... I use my Mini Pro as my primary FB device now...over my iPad, and laptop. The built in browser can view the full FB html site, although it will render really slow.

The default browser is ok... it's better at some things than Opera for Android... you cannot uninstall the default browser, but you can keep Opera if you prefer it.

I have a more detailed review of the Mini Pro (just ignore the keyboard parts since you're considering the Mini) on my blog.

http://www.techgospelaccordingtojohn.com/search/label/x10
[ This Message was edited by: jplacson on 2010-10-31 04:01 ]
-alex-
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-10-31 12:26
jplacson, Thank you very much for taking the time to help. It's much appciated.

I had a go on my brothers. The one thing I was a but confused about was the phone contacts. There's just a simple list. Is there an app which has a better desplay for contacts? Like maybe you can add a photo next to the name? Or the name and Number is desplayed in the list?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Does anyone know where I can view Photo samples from the X10 Mini and the X8. I am debating on the X8, becasue its a bit bigger, therfor better for web surfing, but the camera isnt as good. I'd really like to see the difference between the two.
[ This Message was edited by: -alex- on 2010-10-31 22:17 ]
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-11-01 18:04
Hey alex you're welcome.

The phonebook is actually extensive... my only gripe with the phonebook at the moment is that you cannot resort it by last name or swap how the names are displayed.

The contact list can display photos... even pull from Facebook contacts with an app. The ongoing 2.1 update that's being rolled out will include this ability by default...although I haven't had any experience w/ the 2.1 update yet.

Another app that I truly think is amazing is the Gesture Search (it's an official Google App)... it allows you to search through your phone using handwriting gestures. Very convenient using one hand.

Regarding the X8, the only advantage it has over the X10 Mini is the larger screen. The X10 Mini has better specs all around. The X8 is a more practical ENTRY-LEVEL choice over the X10 family... since if the X10 Mini is too small, the X10 is a much better choice all around. The X10 Minis prioritize small size over everything else.
-alex-
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-11-01 21:15
Thank you very much again for the reply.

I have a couple more questions, if you have the time.

1) Calendar. I use this a lot. On my Sony Elm (and also on the Nokia I had) it has a entire Day for entering notes etc. From what I can see on the X10 Mini, you can only add entries by the hour. Is there a way to change this? As I don't want to put things in by the hour, but rather the day. If not, is there an app which will let me do this?

2) Bluetooth. I am a little confused about this. I've read that you can't bluetooth photos etc from phone to phone on the X10 Mini? Is this true? And if so, can you download anything from the market to fix this? See, what happens is I take a photo, and in the corner I click and it has the following options: email, facbook, google mail, messageing, picasa, Roadsynic mail, your report. But no Bluetooth.

Thanks again.
nightangel
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-09 04:28
hey hey do any of u here noe of a language translator/dictionary tat works off9? thx in advance...
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-11-15 01:44
GrooveShark is really good. Its basically a free version of spotify, it has a great range of songs and artists
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-11-15 12:39

On 2010-11-01 21:15:13, -alex- wrote:
Thank you very much again for the reply.

I have a couple more questions, if you have the time.

1) Calendar. I use this a lot. On my Sony Elm (and also on the Nokia I had) it has a entire Day for entering notes etc. From what I can see on the X10 Mini, you can only add entries by the hour. Is there a way to change this? As I don't want to put things in by the hour, but rather the day. If not, is there an app which will let me do this?

2) Bluetooth. I am a little confused about this. I've read that you can't bluetooth photos etc from phone to phone on the X10 Mini? Is this true? And if so, can you download anything from the market to fix this? See, what happens is I take a photo, and in the corner I click and it has the following options: email, facbook, google mail, messageing, picasa, Roadsynic mail, your report. But no Bluetooth.

Thanks again.

Hi Alex, try Jorte for the calendar app. You can change views. I'm not fond of the built in calendar either. To edit when at home, use Google Calendar. Much easier. But you can set all-day events as well even in the default calendar. Jorte is much easier to view.

For Bluetooth, try Bluetooth File Transfer.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 9 101112  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic