Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > W995 or Hazel?

12  Next
Author W995 or Hazel?
moby1
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-29 20:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi guys, after coming to terms with the fact that I will not be able to get my hands on the c901 in Australia, I have decided to move on and find a new love. Its come down to the older w995 and the newer hazel.
From the outside it seems like the w995 is the better phone with the higher megapixel camera, metal materials and higher price, though the hazel seems to capture better images and much better video recording which holds me back.

If given the choice between the 2, which would you purchase and why?
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-29 21:53
I have no experience with the Hazel but I believe it is a great phone given its prize. If pictures and filming is of great importance to you then I sure this phone would bring you many nice memories. I have the w995 and thought about getting the Hazel but realised the difference between them are not remarkeble and besides I would miss the 3.5 mini jack connector because listening to music is of great importance to me Either way I believe both phones will serve your purposes. God luck shopping

Read reviews at GSMarena.com
[ This Message was edited by: rikken on 2010-05-29 21:07 ]
masada1971
Xperia Mini Pro White
PM
Posted: 2010-05-29 22:04
i have both phones and can re-assure you that Hazel performs better in terms of photography(i dont know how they managed this in ),and performs good in music too but only with headsets since it has mono speaker and w995 has stereo...
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-05-29 22:16
It all depends what you want. I have had the w995 which was a lovely phone with quality sound & features but a poor camera imo. Also has a wobbly slider. Like my Elm I am sure the camera & music quality will be good. I was pleasently surprised with the Elm's music quality but I am using the old w995 headphones. Also I have been surprised with the Elm's camera so I am sure the Hazel is the same cos it's the same phone in a different guise. So to conclude the Hazel is the alrounder
Phone?? What phone??
moby1
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-30 16:06
Thanks for the input guys..hmm seeing as I dont plan on listening to music, the hazel seems the smarter choice. Its a shame the hazel does not have a better design, cannot seem to fall in love with it
The x10 mini sounds very tempting being around the same price as both down here in australia, but after my bad experience with the vivaz it seems risky to dive back into the world of touch screens.

rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-30 17:10
I had the Vivaz myself but found it to slow and quite boring due to the symbian platform. The x10 mini is a totally different phone. Thinking about getting one myself since I find the android system effective and easy to use (have the x10) The mini version is so charming and pocketfriendly and a quite capable performer
moby1
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-30 17:18
I had the Vivaz myself but found it to slow and quite boring due to the symbian platform. The x10 mini is a totally different phone.

Happy to hear that the feeling is different between the two for the better. Would prefer the larger x10 but unfortunately the price is above my budget.
ithehappy
W580 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-30 20:05
Well I had W995 for about two months. I liked it. On the positive side, The beautiful looks, Good metallic design (except that SE logo peeling off from the back cover), Good stereo speakers, Walkman 4.0 and the 3.5 mm jack. On the negative side- The Display, I don't know why and how, I just didn't like it. I have used more than 20 SE phones, this is one of the worst display I had along with P1i. The 8MP camera is average, I think Hazel will produce more sharper images.
That's it. Now you have to decide what is your need? If it's Camera+Video, HAZEL, if it's looking+design- HAZEL+W995, if it's Music- W995+HAZEL and if it's for Display+Fun and all other things- HAZEL.
So, to sum it up Hazel is the winner, IMO
Thanks.
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-30 22:18
I`m on my second w995 and I have no complaint about the display, infact I find it delivers sharp and vivid images that are easy to see not only in the dark, but also under direct sunlight. As far as the camera is concerned I have taken both beautiful pictures and poor ones, but then again I have done that with all my SE phones from the k700 to the Satio
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-05-30 22:40
Yes the w995 has one of the best displays in sunlight
Phone?? What phone??
phonecrzy
Vivaz Ruby
PM
Posted: 2010-06-01 17:57

On 2010-05-30 22:40:33, Bonovox wrote:
Yes the w995 has one of the best displays in sunlight

i agree
Age is just a number.. Being 13 makes me no dumber than a wise old man
buntoo
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-06-05 21:47
No idea about Hazel.. But here are my views abt W995:
I bought it in March 2010. Loved its built design & look. Nice slider (a little wobble @bottom left which is hardly noticeable.) Excellent & quality music through its stereo speakers & handsfree. Stable & fast UI with no lag at all. Display is great even under direct sunlight. Camera is Okey.. Not bad at all.
But.................. after one month usage, it started giving me problems with the down-volume key. Temporarily it gave no response. And one week later, i faced a bizarre prob. Whenever i did press the keys 9,6 & 3, the keypad light flashed. And... after a few days later the keys 9 & 3 totally stopped working.. :(
I sent it back to repair as it was under 12months warranty. LIved with my K850i and after one month, the company asked me to return them the box with all accessories.. And they would give me new pin-pack handset..
But i refused..AS i dont want to get another W995 which could give me the similar probs.. So now I'm waiting now for a White Aino but they currenty have only "Black one" in stock..
I still miss my W995 but those shitty probs..........
So i'll advise you not to buy a W995.
[addsig]
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2010-06-09 15:26
That's not a good reason to vote against W995 as you're the only one I've heard of with that bizarre problem and you should've accepted the W995 replacement if you love it as the chances of a similar problem cropping up would be miniscule to none. An ill-fated Hazel might have the same/equivalent problem as would any other phone in the market. Perhaps it would be more fitting if you highlighted the more known or well documented weaknesses of the W995 such as scrolling through videos that's painfuly slow or lack of Walkman 4.0 and WQVGA video recording as advertised
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
buntoo
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-06-09 16:00
@mode
I'm one of those guys who never did complain about any fault in a device. Even my K850i gave me many hardware issues, but i never posted those online... Still satisfied with it... But all those hardware faults started to appear after 1 and half year usage...
But this one (W995).........
And i heard abt a similar prob (non-working volume keys on W995) on some mobile forum..

Thats why........

Other than that i realllllly like it

On 2010-06-09 15:26:03, mode wrote:
Perhaps it would be more fitting if you highlighted the more known or well documented weaknesses of the W995 such as scrolling through videos that's painfuly slow or lack of Walkman 4.0 and WQVGA video recording as advertised

Well actually i dont use my cell phone device for watching videos... So i don't put alot of videos and scrolling through a few videos is still slow, but i can live with this minor bug...
Also i never use my cell phone for recording videos........ For that purpose i've HD recording devices
[ This Message was edited by: buntoo on 2010-06-09 15:08 ]
[addsig]
Dark Knight
W995 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-10 15:36
i prefer W995 for design, comfortable keyboard, stereo dinamics, and "useability"

i don"t shure its excellent on Hazel, like on W995
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi