Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia top model N900 sales below 100,000-Gartner

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123  Next
Author Nokia top model N900 sales below 100,000-Gartner
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-06-04 19:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
This model is now on Tesco mobile. Sounds desperate to me Nokia
Phone?? What phone??
alexslane
Xperia Play Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-12 08:23
yeah but having said that so is the apple iphone dude.
The thing is with tesco that they having probably the biggest buying power in the uk .......... There one of the super giant companies , i even seen a tesco in tokyo lol.
Let be fair in the tesco market there can also afford to take a slight loss on some things as they make so much money on other stuff.

As for the n900 i think i am going to give it a try myself as i have been reading some reviews and it seems that its perfect for my trips to work in the morning.
I think what the main point i was reading with the n900 it was never meant to be a mainstream handset its meant to be for the more geekier types and the mainstream have latched on to it.
Bronze trusted Trader ! <br />HTC Wildfire S
OluYom
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-13 01:45
The N900 has done well in the market. Must every device sell in the same range as the iPhone for it to be considered a success? Each device must be judged on its own merit, and in this case, the N900 was not designed for the average mobile consumer.

By way of illustration, Ferarris don't sell as much as Toyotas, yet Ferarris are not failures.

I have an N900, and as a long-time Symbian user, I must say that this beats the daylights out of any Symbian device in the market. Before buying it, I had my reservations, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Looking for a powerful mobile computer that does lots of things exceptionally well? Give the N900 some consideration.
PS: I used to be known as AYA
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-06-13 02:03
@alexslane your probably right there. And as of soon all networks would have taken on the iphone. And yes Tesco do have big power.
Phone?? What phone??
zide
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-06-14 14:21
What did they want? Such an huge brick in theses days... No one wants that when other sexier devices on the market have the same specs...
See my photos taken with the C902, Satio or E72 in here!
JohnM
Samsung Galaxy S i9000
PM
Posted: 2010-07-08 17:45

On 2010-06-04 19:13:00, Bonovox wrote:
This model is now on Tesco mobile. Sounds desperate to me Nokia

Yes, but Tesco are now offering 12 month contracts, and lets be fair, 12 month contracts are a rare thing these days with a phone included.... especially a decent 1! Not a bad thing for Nokia to do at all
Trusted trader.
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-07-08 18:01
The mistake Nokia did was to announce that the MeeGo OS will not be available for the N900. This means that the more technically inclined users that could have interest in this phone will hesitate buying a phone that has only been on the market for a little more than half a year. And commercial software developers will not be writing applications for an OS which will no longer be updated and for a device sold in limited numbers. I don't see Nokia selling many more of this phone. And that's a shame. Hardware-wise it is a very nice phone. What it is missing is a good OS. Would've been nice if there was a solid Android port available for it.

Jkovacz
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-08 19:23

On 2010-07-08 18:01:20, AbuBasim wrote:
The mistake Nokia did was to announce that the MeeGo OS will not be available for the N900. This means that the more technically inclined users that could have interest in this phone will hesitate buying a phone that has only been on the market for a little more than half a year. And commercial software developers will not be writing applications for an OS which will no longer be updated and for a device sold in limited numbers. I don't see Nokia selling many more of this phone. And that's a shame. Hardware-wise it is a very nice phone. What it is missing is a good OS. Would've been nice if there was a solid Android port available for it.

At least the latest firmware ensures future meego apps will run on the n900.
Good enough.

And anyways: This was never designed to be a mass-market super-seller. Nokia may be a lot...totally stupid they are not.
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-07-09 13:12

On 2010-07-08 19:23:12, Jkovacz wrote:
Good enough.

And anyways: This was never designed to be a mass-market super-seller. Nokia may be a lot...totally stupid they are not.

Then it has everything against it as far as availability of commercial apps is concerned. What software house is going to spend time and money on writing good software for a device which is only owned by a handful of happy freetard hackers? Software development will only take off once Nokia's plans for switching from Symbian to MeeGo on the N series take effect and that's probably at least a year ahead in the future - by the time which the N900 will be obsolete.

And Nokia's hopes to lure away developers from Apple's app store to Ovi - I don't see it happening. If anyone's leaving iOS app development for another platform then it is for Android.
[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2010-07-09 12:16 ]
Jkovacz
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-09 14:36

On 2010-07-09 13:12:55, AbuBasim wrote:

On 2010-07-08 19:23:12, Jkovacz wrote:
Good enough.

Then it has everything against it as far as availability of commercial apps is concerned. What software house is going to spend time and money on writing good software for a device which is only owned by a handful of happy freetard hackers? Software development will only take off once Nokia's plans for switching from Symbian to MeeGo on the N series take effect and that's probably at least a year ahead in the future - by the time which the N900 will be obsolete.

And Nokia's hopes to lure away developers from Apple's app store to Ovi - I don't see it happening. If anyone's leaving iOS app development for another platform then it is for Android.
[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2010-07-09 12:16 ]

wait a sec: so, a "fretard" maemo movement is bad, but the iphone jailbreakers are good? Or the xda devs hyping Every Single step towards Android on HD2?

The N900 IS "N" because of the N770 etc...

And repeat: latest Maemo 5 update enables future Meego Apps on the N900.

Seems like "fretard" win-win.
And it is simple, mate: it's called Don't buy! The solution to your upset
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-07-09 15:36

On 2010-07-09 14:36:31, Jkovacz wrote:
wait a sec: so, a "fretard" maemo movement is bad, but the iphone jailbreakers are good? Or the xda devs hyping Every Single step towards Android on HD2?

No, the freetard movement is not bad. But since the only people buying the N900 are freetards, unlikely to spend any money on software, you don't see software houses elbowing each other in the rush to push out apps for it.

And repeat: latest Maemo 5 update enables future Meego Apps on the N900.

Big emphasis on 'future'. The platform isn't ready yet. Nokia has announced that all future N-series devices will run MeeGo. By the time the MeeGo OS is ready for the end users (the un-technical users), the N900 will be obsolete.

And it is simple, mate: it's called Don't buy! The solution to your upset

I already own it. But since there are no good apps available for it, I also own a 32GB 3GS for my everyday needs (editing office documents, PIM, podcasts, videos, music, audiobooks). I keep the N900 as a toy.

I actually switched from iPhone to N900 but upon realising that good apps do not exist for it, I had to get an iPhone again.

It doesn't matter that the N900 has superior hardware (except for the resistive touchscreen of course): what's the use of owning a Ferrari when you can't find fuel for it? Using cheap stuff like cooking oil will not bring out the best performance from your racing car's engine.
[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2010-07-09 14:55 ]
Jkovacz
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-09 16:21
@AbuBasim
I 'get' you

The thing is: why IS IT a competition? Number 1: the figures are very much disputed (the Gartner-gods are not infallible)...

Number 2: Wouldn't it be pathetic if all phones and services were thew same******?

**** ===>>> in fact it'd be unfair. I, e.g. am not in need of GPS. Yet, it's nearly imposible to buy a high-end phone w/out GPS. A lot of ppl use phones as 'out-of-the-box' - they don't want to subsidise an appstore they'll never use.

On the other hand: I can run full Open Office on the N900 via Easy Debian. I KNOW 99.5% of users have zero need for that. I do. And 0.5% of billions of people is still relevant, even if statistically negligible

And lets not get into the whole underlying issue of "Appstore-mania"... iPhones have their origine not in other phones. The "app-phone" idea is inspired by Barbie Doll! Take a pretty useless thing and then sell loads of pretty useless dresses.
And Barbie is still not a flexible doll - with 100s of dresses she still can't move properly.

So: in a nutshell: blahblahblahblahAPP-DiDapp-yadayada...
Variety is good. Not everyone wants or needs or can buy apps.

I used to use an E61 for almost 3 years. Poweruse, really. I did try 100s of apps and themes and this and that, but after a year and a half it reverted and looked pretty much like out-of-the-box in terms of installed software. Because after all the playing with apps, I remembered why I bought it: because it did all I needed it to do. The rest was just time-killing.
We may disagree, but I am not alone - among 6 billion a minority of fretards can be quite strong in numbers.

Having said that: man, the N97...now there's a stinker

Peace
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-07-09 16:45
So we have different needs. I need a phone equally for business and entertainment. When I bought the N900 I thought it would be perfect for this, especially since DocsToGo were available for it. Only after buying the phone did I realise that the version of DocsToGo on it was just a document viewer. I did try OpenOffice under Easy Debian but found it almost unbearably slow and uncomfortable to use; nowhere near QuickOffice on S60, UIQ3 or iPhone, or Microsoft's own Office Mobile on WM.
Jkovacz
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-09 17:34

On 2010-07-09 16:45:19, AbuBasim wrote:
So we have different needs. I need a phone equally for business and entertainment. When I bought the N900 I thought it would be perfect for this, especially since DocsToGo were available for it. Only after buying the phone did I realise that the version of DocsToGo on it was just a document viewer. I did try OpenOffice under Easy Debian but found it almost unbearably slow and uncomfortable to use; nowhere near QuickOffice on S60, UIQ3 or iPhone, or Microsoft's own Office Mobile on WM.

true... I won't argue about this. Open Office and Iceweasel have kind of a niche uses - though both saved my butt a couple of times.

The doc viewer is indeed a bit of a disgrace - 100% with you on that one.
But again, no offence: it is a pricey gadget, people oughta do some basic research before spending that kind of money.
Nokia never claimed it had anything BUT a doc-viewer, or did I miss something?

Granted though: all in all, the real standout feature of the N900 is the browser, and everything else feels a bit 'compromised'. So as always, marketing won over 'sense'.

Anyway, the reason I replied here is that certainly no one, Nokes included, expected the thing to sell in the millions.
Just like no one expected the N91 with it's teeny weeny hard drive to sell gazillions. Nevertheles, imho there still hasn't been a better-sounding phone since the N91(though, by the way: use good earphones, and the N900 sounds peretty f*cking nice); and in my opinion there is no better phone if you really really RELY on REAL mobile internet. Anything else: buy an appstore-barbie
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-07-09 18:06
Apple were not the first with the app store. Nokia, Sony Ericsson and WM phone users have had Handango, PocketGear and other sites for much longer. So the i-mate JAMin I owned four years ago was just as much a Barbie-phone as the iPhone is today

Before Nokia introduced the Ovi Store they had something called Nokia Software Market (which was much better IMHO). From there I bought SmartAnswer and NetFront browser in 2004 for the Nokia 6600 I had back then.

(Of all phones I've owned until now, the one that was more or less complete was the G700. Office document editing, excellent media player, games - all included from start.)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi