Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Problems making calls on 3g

Author Problems making calls on 3g
robertoi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-05-15 19:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all,

Im having some problems with my xperia x10i on vodafone uk. Basically, where I live, I do not seem to be able to make calls when the phone is using 3g. It rings once but then says network busy - I can receive calls absolutely no problem.

If I switch to GSM only, I can call fine.

If I leave it in 3g mode - I can make calls if Ive got an active WiFi connection, or if I tell the phone to turn the 3g internet connection off; presumably the phone doesnt switch to 2g calls in these scenarios? Last night when I was at Heathrow airport, I think I was able to make calls whilst I had a 3g data connection, since then I have debranded the phone to a 1.0.16 firmware, but surely that cant have made a significant difference?

If its signal strength issues in my cell, then I cant really understand it as I am able to receive calls and use a 3g network connection at the same time, and it does it even when signal strength is maxed out...

Any help would be much appreciated - as if I cant work out whats going on Im gonna want to swap this handset for a desire.....

Thanks
Rob Irons
log
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-16 15:55
I dont really know but It sounds like oversubscription/congestion of users in your home area all using 3g and not leaving enough bandwidth for a constant unbroken line for the phone to use. Being able to receive makes sense as the call is not originating from your busy area but is being routed to you.

Which area are you ?, I leave mine on the preferred setting rather than trying to fix the high speed because of what you are referring to so the phone will still work with lots of data users on the network

I have found (by experience) if a network is too busy for calls you can still send/rec text and data because it is packeted and doesnt need a constant open line.
[ This Message was edited by: log on 2010-05-16 17:37 ]
robertoi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-05-18 14:29
Thanks for the reply - It looks like its a network issue in my area - as my gfriends phone is showing exactly the same problem - as soon as a 3g data connection is established - its impossible to make outgoing calls, turn the connection off and its fine. Waiting for voda to look into it
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi