Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > google and behaviour tracking

Author google and behaviour tracking
oioldman
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-22 21:39
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
hello, wasn't sure where to put this, so here goes:

Google does a lot of tracking of what we do on the internet.
They also store your requests and habits for a long time.

Does this phone, being google os based, also send lots of stuff to google all the time?
just curious, because if so think i'll stick with normal phones; W995 at present.

Cheers.
oioldman
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-26 09:41
cheers guys.
looks like nothing to worry about, or people aren't concerned.

now to talk orange into letting me have one as an upgrade....
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-04-29 13:45
One of the reasons for Android is for google to be able to present more relevant ads - thats what google does.

In order to do this they do collect information on the user, just how much I'm not sure but you can guarantee that they do.
oioldman
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-30 15:55
that was my thoughts and fears.
wonder if packet sniffing would show how much/how often it sends data back to the chocolate factory

seems orange won't let me have one so not an issue for now but something to ponder
Trickois
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-30 23:52
Hey oioldman,

I agree with Goldenface that there is undoubtedly some collection of data by Google, but being in the UK, I'd doubt it's much more than the Government is able to compel carriers for.

There is an option on the X10's GPS settings to share location info with Google, and in the same way that when Nike+ first launched for iPhones and people were shocked that their movements could be tracked, it just makes sense if you can track your location, then you are trackable..

Lastly, some of the Free Apps, do say that they are "Ad Supported", in most cases this means ads in the Settings as Handcent, but some like Ultrasound feature a very small logo type Ad in the actual running program.

Hope this helps, and don't give up on Orange, I know someone who bartered them down from £99.99 to free as an Update..

Good luck, just think by the time you do upgrade the X10 may have had it's big update, and so be even better..

oioldman
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-05 12:33
cheers guys.

will have another chat with orange when back from hols and see what can be agreed.

google do a lot more tracking of user habits than a watched man can be and not sure i want them knowing everything i do.
i wouldn't trust anything our government says it does and doesn't have and what it gives away on memory sticks for free, but in theory it should limit how much thy can track of what we do.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi