123  Next
Author Nexus One vs Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-22 09:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi everyone,

If you had used both for a significant amount of time, could you give me your opinion on which one comes out top and why please.

I can't ask Harry Hill

Please don't just write X10 because it is an SE. I know the OS is different and that should be OTA up datable soon.

thanks!

Off to search now for more information.

Ofiaich
esato since Nov, 12, 2001
lemmy31
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-04-22 10:41
While not strictly an Nexus One, i have been using an HTC Desire for the last 3 weeks and just recently acquired an X10 also.
The fact that the x10 uses Android 1.6 and not 2.1 is not really an issue for me. The SE UI is graphically very nice, i find mediascape far more useful than timescape.....just a personal preference.
The screen on the Desire is far sharper than the x10 and easier to use, and i find Sense far more useful for my needs. The biggest drawback for me using the x10 is the shocking battery life....and i mean shocking, i only have it set up to sync with google mail, contacts and calendar same as the Desire and the Desire lasts at least 3 times longer, i have advanced task manager running on both handsets.
I will be looking to trade/sell one of these handsets shortly, at present the x10 will be the one to go.

Regards

Craig
MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-22 11:06
HTC Sense is a good point for the Desire but of course isn't on the Nexus One. For me the X10 was far more appealing because it looks 10x better than the Nexus One or Desire. Both of those carry a drab and unassuming look while the X10 is sleek and I would have to say the best looking handset available. There are also hardware advantages in the camera and, as lemmy mentioned, Mediascape is a much better multimedia service. Timescape is pretty but not particularly useful.

The screen on the X10 is actually very good I think and going back to a Hero makes that look pathetic in comparison. The Desire may look sharper due to having the same resolution on a smaller screen.

The battery life is a strange thing. Mine was indeed terrible for the first two weeks and would not make it through the whole day. However, since upgrading to R1FA016 my battery has dramatically improved and now has about 40% left my midnight with the same usage habits and WiFi and location services always on.

se-nse-a-win;Sell Any Item;[url=http://A-ZoTT.com]A-ZoTT.com[/
erickson813
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-22 12:36
hi MIkLSP, how do you upgrade the R1FA014 to 16? thank!
arcticreaver
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-22 13:17
i'm going to weigh in on this because i've spent the past few weeks deciding on the 2 phones.

i like nexus one because of the software that is available. newest android. multi-touch. noise cancellation. everything in that aspect is great. near perfect. but damn, it looks too much like an iPhone. plus i think the trackball on the phone is just out of place and really unnecessary and just ugly it more.

i don't like the 2 tone colors of the nexus one. honestly, the phone doesn't look very good, to me anyways.

when i saw the x10, i was like "this is the next phone for me". the looked sleek and beautiful. very simple but unique at the same time.

while the x10 doesn't have the latest and greatest android, 1.6 isn't that bad at all. i'm sure there are improvements from 1.6 to 2.1, but i was using the phone today and i found it to be fine. sure, multi-touch would have been nice but i didn't have a need to zoom all that much from all the websites i was viewing with the phone. plus i come from the Nokia E71, so zooming with buttons wasn't too big of a deal for me. i've read that the phone does like 16 million colors but because of 1.6 android, the resolution is gimped. i can kinda see that. i don't feel the resolution to be all that, it's fine but i've seen a lot better. but i guess the change will come due time.

so i chose the x10 over the nexus one because of the looks. since i believe the nexus one runs a better specification than the x10, i think i went for style over substance. i don't think i made the wrong choice because i'm happy with my choice and i don't think for a second that i made the wrong choice.

nexus one is a great phone i think, but it's freakin' ugly to me.

kits
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-22 19:57
I've used Nexus One from the day it was released until last week when I got the X10. N1 might be having 2.1 but the only thing I miss on the software side is the 5 home screens to 3 on X10. X10 has no software advantages either as both Mediascape and Timescape are not great(I have to admit they are getting better over time as I figure some cool features). But I like the UI on X10. I wish the dialer was a smart dialer like the HTC one. It would have made it a better phone. I installed smart dialers but they take away the cool blue look of X10.

Hardware wise, I miss search button on X10 which I used quite a lot on N1 but am getting over it. Also, the battery on N1 lasted longer than X10. But I got used to having chargers all over the places these days ever since I owned iPhone. So, this is no big deal. Also, I wish X10s three buttons were recessed so they didn't get pressed when in pocket as it seems to turn on the display for unlocking.

The main things that made me keep X10.
1. X10 looks great (White)
2. Nice big screen that looks great even in bright outdoor light
3. Nexus One looks ugly to me
4. X10 UI looks
5. Good camera
6. SE fan
Bialynia
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-22 20:51
I didn't get the Nexus One because of the looks, smaller screen, and 5mp camera, just to name a few things. Plus you can't compare the screen quality, SE's is always miles better.
MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-22 20:59
@ erickson813

The update is available OTA or through the SEUS for unbranded handsets. Or if you have a network branded device you can follow the X10 debranding method

@ arcticreaver

Be sure to try opera Mini for web browsing. The zoom is an effortless single touch on the area of interest and back out with double tap or the back button.

@ kits

There are many home replacements which allow you to use more than 3 screens. Home++ is free, simple and very effective.
[ This Message was edited by: MikLSP on 2010-04-22 20:00 ]

arcticreaver
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-22 21:30
i actually have opera mini but i don't like it because i can not exit the program when i want to. the actual stock browser that comes with the phone has an option to Exit.
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2010-04-22 22:17
Apparently, Google will not continue bug fixing for the N1. Come to think of it, seem to ditch their devices as well.

On a serious note, the X10 has better camera and design. N1 has noise cancellation but that's not such a big deal. N1 does have more RAM which is a big deal but the software is buggy. AMOLED is brilliant too but the X10 screen is amazing in its own right.

I got myself a Desire. It looks far better than the N1 and has the optical trackpad. It has more RAM than the and the software is really slick and smooth. I am really tough on my phones (hardware and software) and its the best experience that I have had in many years. I'm absolutely cramming it with work stuff and apps with no strain showing at all. AMOLED on the Desire is meant to be better than the same screen on the N1 but don't ask me how. Its a fair bit cheaper as well than the other two as well. Alternatively, hold out for the Incredible.
erickson813
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-22 22:27
@MikLSP how will you know if the phone is branded? thanks again! by the way i got mine from orange in france.
[ This Message was edited by: erickson813 on 2010-04-22 21:29 ]
MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-22 22:47
you answered the question right there. It's from Orange so will be branded

erickson813
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-23 01:22
coz i have an old line in orange and what i do is change phone only didn't go for the new line. are you sure its still branded if so maybe ill do the debranding. thanks again!
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-23 01:35
My thought was to either...

a) cancel my Voda contract in June when it date is due.. and maybe by a sim free handset,

b) get an X10 but for 18 month contract, I would need to pay £116.00 for the handset. 24 months it is free....

I use a Nexus One now, and can just see out the contract using that handset

My thoughts were to use both and then sell the one that I like the least.

I am not hot with mathematics, so I know I need to think about how much over 18 months I would pay, and how much over 24 months, or just let the contract run out and buy a hands free handset. I can also consider how much a X10 would appear for on esato!

Or I can ask MikLSP to just give me an X10 for free...

Ofiaich

esato since Nov, 12, 2001
MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-23 12:46
@ erickson813

Look in Settings > About Phone and check your Build Number

If it is R1FA014 go to Software Update on the same screen.

Press Update Now and if it doesn't find the R1FA016 update then it is branded

@ ofiaich

The last option there is the least likely

scotsboyuk has one though, maybe he'd be interested in a trade for the Nexus One?

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi