Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Vivaz HD video capture stutters like mad!

12  Next
Author Vivaz HD video capture stutters like mad!
awareesa
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-04-16 16:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I own one of those and I must inform everyone:

1) I found many Vivaz devices at display. I played with the video capture function. All of them stutter in the first 2-3 seconds even when saving on the Phone memory.

2) Mine stutters sometimes more, sometimes less and seems that there is a problem in the beginning of any capture mainly having to do with the software trying to do its job. THE LENGTHIER THE VIDEO CAPTURE, THE MORE THE STUTTERS DURING THE CAPTURE. In a 2 min vid you may have 3-4 stutter points.

3) I found only one device out of 5 that I played with, where the stutter was so short that actually was almost invisible. Strangely enough it has a February firmware on while the rest that stuttered noticeably had a later firmware version of March.

There is also a commercial problem here: The vivaz is advertised as having the HD function as its highlight. The TV advert also is an illusive one given that any stutters during the video capture are hidden to potential buyers.

I like my phone but I feel cheated since my main driver to move to such an expensive purchase was the Sony Ericcsson's claim of the faultless (constant 24fps) HD video capture function.

FURTHER DETAILS ABOUT MY DEVICE: C: 23,4 Mb Free - SwissManagerPro shows CPU Speed @ 206 Mhz while Vivaz states 720 MHz. What the heck is going on here??

Any input more than appreciated,
Al
awareesa
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-04-16 17:02
I think something is very wrong here: SwissManagerPro shows:

Processor Architecture: ARM

CPU Version: 400

Binary Interface: ARM4

CPU Speed: 206 MHz

I wonder if then instead of a 720MHz processor (claimed by SE) the first batch is equiped with a 400MHz one...

If this
is true, then IMHO there is no way the video capture will be seamless.
tai020381
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-16 17:06
Wait for firmware upgrade?
awareesa
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-04-16 17:11
Thanks for your input. However some questions swirl into my head:

1) I have executed the Update Service online; isnt this supposed to be a firmware update?
2) Why wait for the firmware update? They didn't wait when they took my 400 hard earned euros - and in such a case HOW LONG are we going to wait, I bought this device 90% for the HD function that is hugely advertised as Top Notch by SE...
3) If the device has a 400MHz processor then this is going to be a Hardware issue; no firmware will cope with this and SE states 720MHz processor.

Am I missing something?
[ This Message was edited by: awareesa on 2010-04-16 16:12 ]
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-04-16 17:17
It has a 720 Mhz processor.if it hadnt then more users would have had the issue which they dont.
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2010-04-16 18:13
Strange! almost owners that I have talk to them give me positive especially HD video recording.

Get new firmware now maybe help, if not help better get replace for new one.

about CPU I think it maybe idle mode cuz' same as my satio
[ This Message was edited by: HxH on 2010-04-16 17:20 ]
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
hammera
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-16 21:28
SwissManager always returns processor speed as 208mhz regardless of the actual clock speed. It's something to do with the information supplied to the application. If you search the forums for the developers posts (Zed@CPS) there is a proper explanation why.
awareesa
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-04-17 09:52
Thanks for all answers.

Well, research is going on and the last thing I came up with is that if you "reclaim memory" with swissmanagerpro then the video capture stutters a little (I also had one capture with no stutters at all; this is a "miracle" as I see it).

Conclusion would be that the firmware needs to block out all other recources while capturing. But this firmware should be there earlier and not improving on our bad experiences. I am pretty curious to see what other Vivaz owners have to say about this isssue.

Rgds
Al
awareesa
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-05-04 08:34
I received a replacemnet device (brand new).
Strange things happen: The video capture stutters in a much rarer manner and I can "see" it while capturing: the time counter just slips and behaves strangely. For example, goes to 1 sec then freezes for 2 secs, jumps to 3 then quickly to 4 etc. This happens mainly in the 10 first seconds. Playback on the PC is also full of stutters in the first 10 secs.

Now, two things I realised are:
1) If before pressing the REC button the device has focused, then there are no stutters (timer problems etc). It seems that the focus process drags lots of resources and expecially in the start of the capture can harm the writting to the microSD.
2) The firmware is dated 7-2-10. My problematic phone had a newer one 15-3-10. It seems to me that the newer firmware was maybe worse in the aspect of the stutters. I am just afraid to update to a newer one because there is no way to revert back to the old one if needed.

What do you think?

Al
awareesa
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-05-04 17:52
No response! That means I am good at posting difficult subjects...

sibluenose
Vivaz Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-05-08 01:11
I am pleased with my video capture. There is a stutter at the start but it is undoubtably HD video capture. It looks good on the phone but also on my PC or on the telly when I view it through that.
awareesa
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-05-09 17:59
Do you use a TV-out cable?
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2010-05-11 05:48

On 2010-04-16 17:02:24, awareesa wrote:
I think something is very wrong here: SwissManagerPro shows:

Processor Architecture: ARM

CPU Version: 400

Binary Interface: ARM4

CPU Speed: 206 MHz

I wonder if then instead of a 720MHz processor (claimed by SE) the first batch is equiped with a 400MHz one...

If this
is true, then IMHO there is no way the video capture will be seamless.

Sometimes SMP gets it wrong, like when it displays my old P990 screen to have 16 million colours, even to this day There's always that possibility
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
awareesa
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-06-29 18:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZKxYPL86OM

According to the above, the Iphone 4 is by far better and more stable in HD recording.
If, by any chance, the Iphone 4 plays divx files (as I do with Smartmovie and DivxPlayer on my Vivaz), then I will throw the Vivaz in the bin asap. I hope SE gets knocked out by Apple; SE simply doesn't care...
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-06-29 19:08
^^ How clever.Throwing out a phone you bought for 1/4th the price of the icrap.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi