Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > X10 Keyboard, your thoughts?

12  Next
Author X10 Keyboard, your thoughts?
MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-05 15:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
How is everyone getting on with the keyboard on their X10?

I've just made a post on our blog about this as I'm becoming very dissatisfied...is it just me that's not getting on with it?

Mik

========================================================================================

I have decided to create a tutorial explaining how to install the HTC Touch Input keyboard on your Xperia X10 seeing as this may start to become a frequently asked question!

Please take a look at the guide HERE

Cheers,

Mik
[ This Message was edited by: MikLSP on 2010-04-06 15:15 ]

se-nse-a-win;Sell Any Item;[url=http://A-ZoTT.com]A-ZoTT.com[/
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2010-04-05 15:59
Only complains I have seen so far is that few users in Sweden have had some difficultises with letter A in landscape mode, so there seem to be room left for improvements in the keyboard department indeed. Others having minor issues with the keyboard have switched to Smart Keyboard Pro with great success (they say). Perhaps worth a try.

However, so far I have not encountered anyone having such big problem with the keyboard on a retail unit as you describe it. Below is a clip comparing X10 with N1 keyboard writing (look around 5.30) using same keyboard at both (not the original one) and while the writing is not perfect it does not look half as bad as you seem to perceive (perhaps this is a very personal thing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nepe6CUYZY0
MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-05 16:44
Thats the HTC_IME keyboard which I have literally just installed before coming back and reading this. I am pleased to report that, on first impression, the HTC keyboard functions perfectly on the X10 and is leaps ahead of the SE keyboard in terms of accuracy, speed and auto-correction.

I just hope that SE can improve their keyboard as I do like the look of it and the little features such as the directional buttons. Also they need to make this device smooth and comfortable to use if it is going to compete with the likes of HTC and Apple

Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2010-04-05 17:04
People using Smart Keyboard Pro on X10 have also found that SE's own keyboard seem to be a bit on the slow side, so I'm glad you found a keyboard that works for you. Perhaps you should contact SE support and let them know about your issue with SE's own keyboard.
[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2010-04-05 16:04 ]
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-04-05 19:11
@MiklSP- What are you impressions on the X10? Is it worth a buy over the desire? They are priced the same here.
MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-05 19:23
Well it depends what you want really, I would say the devices are quite evenly matched with different pros and cons for each.
I very much like the X10, it's much better looking than the Desire, the 4" screen is superb and the camera beats any other Android device with some great features and not just the specs. The device runs smoothly and is way better than all the pre-production models we saw.
Timescape is very pretty although the usefulness maybe doesn't match it's visual appeal but Mediascape is definitely better than the media experience of the HTC's.

Of course the problems are that it's only on 1.6 Donut and there are a few imperfections such as the keyboard but then again this is the start for SE and things can only improve.

HTC meanwhile are seasoned Android manufacturers and the Desire is built upon their previous trials and successes. You can expect a more complete and rounded experience from the Desire and of course it already has 2.1 Eclair but, for me at least, it just doesn't have the same appeal as the X10 and falls behind on the screen and especially camera. That said I'm sure most people would be happy with either.
[ This Message was edited by: MikLSP on 2010-04-05 18:24 ]

se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-04-05 19:45
Thanx. Do you find any lags anywhere? Does the device feel slow anywhere?
mange69
Samsung Galaxy S III
PM
Posted: 2010-04-05 21:11
Yes, the letter A in landscape mode is easily missed on the Swedish keyboard. Some other buttons are hard to hit like the small X buttons when editing contacts.
//Mange
MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-05 21:14
It's performing very well to be honest. My Magic lagged like hell so I was desperate to get onto something more powerful. So far I've not had any lag in returning to the homescreen, the screen rotation is very fast (particularly impressive when rotating video) basically I'm not being held up by the phone in my general activities

TJMonkey15
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-05 21:18

On 2010-04-05 19:23:06, MikLSP wrote:
Well it depends what you want really, I would say the devices are quite evenly matched with different pros and cons for each.
I very much like the X10, it's much better looking than the Desire, the 4" screen is superb and the camera beats any other Android device with some great features and not just the specs. The device runs smoothly and is way better than all the pre-production models we saw.
Timescape is very pretty although the usefulness maybe doesn't match it's visual appeal but Mediascape is definitely better than the media experience of the HTC's.

Of course the problems are that it's only on 1.6 Donut and there are a few imperfections such as the keyboard but then again this is the start for SE and things can only improve.

HTC meanwhile are seasoned Android manufacturers and the Desire is built upon their previous trials and successes. You can expect a more complete and rounded experience from the Desire and of course it already has 2.1 Eclair but, for me at least, it just doesn't have the same appeal as the X10 and falls behind on the screen and especially camera. That said I'm sure most people would be happy with either.

Sorry to quote a long post, but I really like what you said here MikLSP. I feel the exact same way. Yeah, the X10 Android OS is an old version, but as you said, it only gets better from here. I think this phone is getting some pretty damn positive reviews for it being their first with Android.
MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-05 22:41
It's a great start and had it arrived a couple of months ago it would have been heralded. I just hope SE aren't too slow with some decent updates.

PS- I'll be posting a "Mik's Impatient Opinions" review on the se-nse after I've had some more time with the handset so if anyone wants an honest an to the point review then keep an eye out for it

Mik

tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-04-06 05:22
@mik: I just read your at se-nse and from what I understood it made me think of waiting a bit more till updates fix the keyboard issues. I'm a sort of hardcore typer and I'd end up damaging the touchscreen trying to write something.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2010-04-06 11:29
Whilst waiting for the X10 I tested four Android phones G1 G2(hero) T-Mobile Pulse and Nexus N1 ALL of them gave text entry problems, so I don't think this is purely a fault with the X10 I believe this is a fault with the overall technology.

There is clearly some work to be done with the way Android interfaces with the HW on these devices I found text entry to be slow and frustrating on each of them.

But Capacitive screens can never be as accurate as resistive screens in my opinion, hence they do not support handwriting in the way the W960 does for example.
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-06 13:41
Installing the HTC_IME from HERE solves all the problems. The keyboards responds perfectly, is more accurate, has fantastic auto-correction and can even be calibrated.

Everyone with an X10 should do this immediately

PS- I've created a tutorial on the matter (link in first post)

Mik
[ This Message was edited by: MikLSP on 2010-04-06 15:27 ]

anders260
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-06 17:30

[ This Message was edited by: anders260 on 2010-04-06 17:04 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi