Esato

Forum > General discussions > Product reviews > My Sony Ericsson Elm review

Author My Sony Ericsson Elm review
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 20:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Today I have bought a Sony Ericsson Elm for £100 from the O2 store. Here is my verdict so far. First impressions of the Elm are positive upon taking out of it's small tiny little box.This is due to it being part of the Greenheart range saving trees with less cardboard used with only the basics in the box battery charger(eco power)phone & headphones. To my surprise there was no usb cable in the box. Either this was saving space or it may differ in different retail packages. O2 may have been stingy. There is no manual in the box instead it is embedded in the phone again to save resources. Handling the Elm is very comfortable with the build being very positive. Sony Ericsson may have used recycled materials but they have not skimped on build quality. There were no creaks upon handling the phone & the Elm has a nice smooth finish which does not attract finger prints. The plastic on the front & keypad has a kind of matt & rubber feel which is nice. Keys are very well spaced & have good feedback easy to press again with a rubbery feel. The back cover we find an aluminum battery cover which was hard to remove at first but is fine afterwards. The micro sd slot is unfortunately under the battery cover. The cover sits snugly in place & has no movement & has a nice matt smooth feel.The loudspeaker is around the back at the bottom as normal surrounded by black plastic with a rigged feel. The loudspeaker has a good sound & is loud enough. Around the back we have the 5 mega pixel camera with led flash which can also be used as a torch. Image quality is actually quite good even indoors as you can see although the pictures were taken on a dull day they are quite sharp but colours are a touch muted & cold. Video recording is very good @ VGA 30fps with smooth image & very crisp clear audio. Back around the front the screen is sharp & has good contrast but it is unfortunately not the brightest or most colourful display from Sony Ericsson. This could be a reflection on it's cheaper price although judging by the amount of features the Elm has for not much more than £100 you can't complain. Audio quality is actually very good on the Elm having a decent punchy weighty sound to it. And with the newly designed Sony Ericsson a200 platform I particually like the music player animations which look very cool. Call quality & signal are both fine on both 3G & GSM alike. The Elm is also apparently splash resistant though it's not enough to take it swimming or in the shower The Elm also has Wi Fi & a-GPS. Overall the Sony Ericsson Elm I would recommend to anyone wanting a decent quality mobile with fantastic amount of features for such a fantastic price. Sony Ericsson in my view have done very well with this phone. So far I have experienced no crashes or restarts & the phone is very smooth & fast in use. Go buy it now. See also for yourself the image quality though I will take some better ones soon. The one indoors came out quite well of my nephew in his Aston Villa shirt on his 7th birthday today. Judge for yourself.id=141771[/img]
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-08-18 22:25 ]
Phone?? What phone??
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 20:37
you can't go wrong for £100
How's the curved back? I like that part.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 20:56
Feels good like a curvy woman
Phone?? What phone??
masada1971
Xperia Mini Pro White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 21:14
all good for me from price to pic quality,but i dislike the small screen size..is it as small as it seems?one more question.. can you shoot a pic with center menu button except camera button,like all phones?
[ This Message was edited by: masada1971 on 2010-04-01 20:16 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 21:28
Yes you can use centre button to shoot. The screen is not so bad not as bad as c902 small size. The screen has a light sensor & it does become nice & bright in good lighting. In dimmer light it does go quite dim though not badly. I love the phone. The image quality of the camera has been a nice surprise although I said colours seemed a little cold I guess I have have had no sunlight since I got it. Will post more pics soon. I was also happy that the guy in the O2 store let me have the O2 website price of £100 without top up saving £30 It was cos i told him i ordered one online only to be told it was out of stock. I cancelled & went in store. The O2 website price of £100 is for easter only but back in stock Tuesday the 6th they said & they have been selling well.
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-04-01 20:37 ]
Phone?? What phone??
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 21:55
Can you adjust camera settings? Like white balance. Or only scene's as Aino has?
Do I see a fastport, I thought it would be mini usb.
Lollylost100
HTC One
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-01 22:01
I can see a little arrow over the Menu button on the home screen. Is there some menu hidden there? Could you take a photo of what it looks like?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 22:07
Believe it or not it's Sony Ericsson doing Widgets thats the shortcut
Phone?? What phone??
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 22:20
Interesting Bono & Thanks for great real hands-on experienced This looking worthy one

Different price tag very much here, 180 pounds after converted I can't believe my eyes

low-end touchscreen dominant market (£150-£80) here along with housebrand that received TV analog Boooo!!

added later

How about Noise Shield performance, I see this new featured and really interesting please let me know about it?
As usually SE microphone quite sensitive and pick up environment sound while call on going, is this new featured help?
[ This Message was edited by: HxH on 2010-04-01 21:27 ]
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 22:28
Yes the Elm is in showing at Carphonewarehouse here for £199 yet in O2 store's it's £119 & online O2 it's £100 crazy
Phone?? What phone??
daydotz
K750
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 22:31
looks a decent phone sounds like a worthy k750i replacement finally

how are you finding

battery life

web browser

gameing

music playback

can it view iplayer content

branding

thanks
[ This Message was edited by: daydotz on 2010-04-01 21:33 ]
Faithful K750i & Elm
"help others to help others"
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 22:35
Battery life I cannot say yet guess will say later on as I got it today. Gaming have not tried as yet cos i hardly play games but will report tomorrow on it. Web browsing is smooth though I use Opera & audio is great it does have mega Bass which is nice. have yet to try Wi fi. The noise sheild well not used it on a busy street as yet but call clarity is very good & loud although when you turn on the noise filter whilst in a call the earpiece does go a touch too loud. I leave it off but I will test it tomorrow in the real world. O2 branding as normal is minimal & thankfully this time they have not disabled the flash menus which they did in some previous phones.
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-04-01 21:40 ]
Phone?? What phone??
masada1971
Xperia Mini Pro White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 22:40

On 2010-04-01 22:07:44, Bonovox wrote:
Believe it or not it's Sony Ericsson doing Widgets thats the shortcut

widgets on active stby screen? even my satio doesnt support widgets...
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 22:42
Yes camera settings can be adjusted plenty of them like Face detection & photo fix exp.settings everything it's not limited like the Aino.
Phone?? What phone??
daydotz
K750
PM
Posted: 2010-04-01 22:49
thanks really does sound like what im after get the old iplayer checked is it listed under tv

what themes does it have ?

can the o2 key function be changed ?
[ This Message was edited by: daydotz on 2010-04-01 21:54 ]
Faithful K750i & Elm
"help others to help others"
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi